New Coach Search

The Star-Telegram is reporting that he will accept the offer:

Texas A&M coach Mark Turgeon has recieved an offer to succeed Gary Williams as Maryland's next basketball coach. A source with knowledge of the situation believes he will accept.

An A&M spokesman said as of 4 p.m. he could not confirm one way or the other. Turgeon is 97-40 in four seasons with the Aggies. Williams abruptly retired last week after 22 seasons with the Terps.

Turgeon's name was the latest to surface, following reported runs by athletic director Kevin Anderson at Arizona's Sean Miller, Notre Dame's Mike Brey and Butler's Brad Stevens.

Aggies athletic director Bill Byrne returned to his office midmorning, but Turgeon did not after apparently returning from "a short family vacation" Sunday night, according to an A&M source. He did not return phone or text messages Monday.

Turgeon signed a contract extension and received a raise from A&M last spring after Oregon expressed interest in him. In a lengthy interview shortly after, he noted how much he enjoyed living in College Station and felt at home within the university family. He has, however, expressed recent frustration with the lack of consistency in attendance at home games.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/05/09/3061894/source-mark-turgeon-will-accept.html#ixzz1LtVQQFsI

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've read on TT that he's not the best at recruiting.

You have to look at the circumstances. The Longhorns will always be tough to out-recruit down there. With the right assistants here at MD, I believe he would do just fine recruiting.

Despite his "unimpressive" recruiting at Texas A&M he was still able to put together a team that is a pre-season top 25 team coming into next season.

I'd be fine with a Turgeon hire. You have to think he'll recruit better here. It just sucks that we were connected to Dixon, Wright, Miller, etc and lead to believe that at the very least we'll get at least one of those guys. At the very least Turgeon turned down NCST. Good enough for me.

I'd be fine with a Turgeon hire. You have to think he'll recruit better here. It's just sucks that we were connected to Dixon, Wright, Miller, etc and lead to believe that at the very least we'll get at least one of those guys. At the very least Turgeon turned down NCST. Good enough for me.

MD did a poor job of managing their fans expectations.

I'm fine with Turgeon as long as he keeps Ehsan and Ranson. And since he doesn't have any connections around here I'm not sure why he wouldn't. Still a disappointment after thinking we were getting Miller.

I'm fine with Turgeon as long as he keeps Ehsan and Ranson. And since he doesn't have any connections around here I'm not sure why he wouldn't. Still a disappointment after thinking we were getting Miller.

Agreed, keeping Ehsan and Ranson is key here, IMO.

The Miller situation is a hard pill to swallow, especially after hearing that KA screwed it up somehow.

Speculation is Turgeon is on his way back to Texas to address his team before any announcement is made. If true' date=' that's about as classy as it gets in college sports these days.

http://twitter.com/#!/AggieyellRivals/status/67709687075840000

No team meeting scheduled, and aTm's AD has not been told anything yet. Hmmmm.

http://twitter.com/#!/billyliucci

Archived