Mark Reynolds

webbrick2010

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can't hate on the guys attitude. That's for sure.

From Roch.

He seems like a great guy.

But I don't really like what I'm hearing from him. I was hoping to hear something, not comfortable with new team, learning pitchers, learning stadiums, I don't know, anything.

This hitting it right at guys stuff is not good. This is a guy for who BABIP should have very little affect. He should be hitting the ball in the seats. Even if his BABIP comes up to near normal, what is he a .220 hitter but still without any power.

Really hope the day off clears his head.

• 2 weeks later...

I could have picked any one of about 10 anti-Reynolds threads, but I decided on this one.

Quietly, Reynolds had put together the kind of month in May that I think he can have pretty regularly. He's only hitting .222, but his OBP is .356. He's also had 4 homers and 5 doubles this month, which is a very solid clip. 3 of the homers, and 4 of the doubles, have come in the last 10 games.

The homer last night shows what kind of power he has. He really didn't hit the ball well at all -- he got under it, and for anyone else, that was a high fly out to medium LF. But his ball just carried and carried and was comfortably out by 5-6 rows. I think we're going to start seeing the homers now.

I could have picked any one of about 10 anti-Reynolds threads, but I decided on this one.

Quietly, Reynolds had put together the kind of month in May that I think he can have pretty regularly. He's only hitting .222, but his OBP is .356. He's also had 4 homers and 5 doubles this month, which is a very solid clip. 3 of the homers, and 4 of the doubles, have come in the last 10 games.

The homer last night shows what kind of power he has. He really didn't hit the ball well at all -- he got under it, and for anyone else, that was a high fly out to medium LF. But his ball just carried and carried and was comfortably out by 5-6 rows. I think we're going to start seeing the homers now.

Yep. I said along that some fans were going to hate him by June but by the end of the year I think his numbers will prove to be solid. My biggest disappointment so far is his inability to come in on balls effectively. He plays decent third base side to side and his arm his strong and accurate, but I'm not sure I've seen him make a bare handed play effectively yet.

As for his offense, I was expecting about what we've seen in May and I think it will continue to get better as the warm, humid air arrives.

Yep. I said along that some fans were going to hate him by June but by the end of the year I think his numbers will prove to be solid. My biggest disappointment so far is his inability to come in on balls effectively. He plays decent third base side to side and his arm his strong and accurate, but I'm not sure I've seen him make a bare handed play effectively yet.

As for his offense, I was expecting about what we've seen in May and I think it will continue to get better as the warm, humid air arrives.

I agree with your take on Reynolds' defense. I will tolerate it if the long balls start to come.

Some encouraging numbers:

May: .222/.356/.458/.814

Last 7 days: .263/.391/.632/1.023

His May numbers are pretty much right at what we're expecting, so hopefully this was just a case of an April aberration, same with Guerrero and Markakis.

I am a Reynolds fan. He is a solid, not great third baseman who has monster power. The long ball is just starting to come and he will mash his fair share going forward, I feel pretty sure of that. Frobby hit it on the head about last nights dinger. That was an excuse me HR. But it illustrates just how powerful his bat is. Nobody else on our team hits that HR. Nobody else on our team has anywhere near his raw power. And don't forget, he runs the bases well. Very well. Few power hitters of his type can also run like him. The guy that comes to mind for me is Rob Deer. Reynolds is a solid player, and a solid teammate. IMO, he is the least of our problems.

Reynolds missed about 3-4 absolute no doubters had they stayed fair over the homestand. Over the last month he's been hitting at above an .800 OPS clip. He's been one of our most productive guys despite what appears to be an anemic season for him up until now. I think Reynolds will turn it around. His numbers (line drives, flyballs, walks, etc.) are all on the money, and you'll start seeing the guy we traded for. He'll probably only ever end up as a 220-230 guy, but you'll see a near .800 season out of him, me thinks.

I noticed Reynolds looking a lot more confident against the Gnats than I have seen from him in a while. I think as he becomes more familiar with the AL pitchers, as he was withe the Gnat's' pitchers, he will be hitting his 5-6 HR per month.

Reynolds missed about 3-4 absolute no doubters had they stayed fair over the homestand. Over the last month he's been hitting at above an .800 OPS clip. He's been one of our most productive guys despite what appears to be an anemic season for him up until now. I think Reynolds will turn it around. His numbers (line drives, flyballs, walks, etc.) are all on the money, and you'll start seeing the guy we traded for. He'll probably only ever end up as a 220-230 guy, but you'll see a near .800 season out of him, me thinks.

Yeah, plus, batting average as an indicator of a guy's worth is not very useful. So what if the guy hits .220 if his OBP is .350?

I noticed Reynolds looking a lot more confident against the Gnats than I have seen from him in a while. I think as he becomes more familiar with the AL pitchers, as he was withe the Gnat's' pitchers, he will be hitting his 5-6 HR per month.

Yeah I noticed that too. Looked alot more comfortable.

Reynolds is really an odd duck. He can look terrible at the plate for dozens of at-bats, but still throw in a walk here or there then get on a doubles and home run tear... then go right back to looking atrocious.

Buck put it best when we got him: he has a high "contact-to-damage" ratio.

Good call. With IL play coming up, maybe we'll see Reynolds start to get hot.

Archived