Morning topic #1: who are our top options for 2nd round pick?

I've seen Norris pitch and umped a couple games where he played centerfield. His control hasn't been as pinpoint as one would like -- certainly not in Bundy's league. But his low to mid 90s fastball has a definite action that looks to a right-handed batter that the ball is coming inside off the plate only to straighten back and nip the corner. If he can learn to pinpoint that ... curveball is a beauty also. And he's a very solid athlete. His pitching motion looks almost effortless.

Like I said in another thread, should the O's take him in the second round, I'll do everything I can to help encourage my local boy the O's way. His dad owns a bicycle shop here, and I'll buy a new bike if I have to.

Good job tennOsfan. Take one for the team.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Josh Osich, LHP: Osich, from Oregon State, is Scout.com’s No. 23-rated prospect in the draft. His fastball lives in the low- to mid-90s.

Daniel Norris, LHP: The southpaw is committed to Clemson and seems set on heading to college, but he also can touch the 90s with his fastball.

Alex Dickerson, OF, Indiana: Dickerson did not have a great season this year at Indiana. That's partly because the team disappointed, going 30-25 and partly because a back injury limited his effectiveness early in the season.

He has rebounded, though, and finished the season with the highest batting average and most home runs on the Hoosier team. The big lefty hit .367/.440/.540 in 215 at-bats with nine home runs, 10 doubles, 49 RBIs, 21 strikeouts and 25 walks.

The biggest question mark with the outfielder is where he plays in the pros. He's not the best fielder in the world and those back issues will probably scare some teams off, thinking it'll relegate him to left field or first base. His swing will get him drafted highly. He's got quick hands and the bat stays in the zone for a while. He's also got a nice, natural uppercut to his swing so he can generate easy power.

Floor

The problem with guys who can't play defense, or who aren't fast enough to play in the outfield is that they have a harder shot at making the majors. That puts their floor pretty low. Add in Dickerson's injury history, and his floor gets even lower. Still, his bat and the fact that he swings from the left side should give him the chance to carve out a niche as a pinch-hitter at the very worst. After all, Russell Branyan has played for a long time.

Ceiling

Adam Dunn's name, feels more appropriate for Dickerson. He may struggle to hit for a high average, but those quick hands mean he won't get jammed very often. If he fills out a little on his long frame, he could hit a good number of home runs, too, and be a nice No. 5 or 6 hitter in a lineup. Dunn may be the more well-known comp, but Daryle Ward may also be a nice one.

Thanks, as always, Stotle. Just my opinion, but with all the picks our competitors had, price should be no object. What kind of coin are we talking about for Howard, Norris, Fisher, Eierman and Hedges? By the way, if you didn't have checkbook concerns, would you rank all five above the other five?

I'd rank:

Norris -- $3-3.5 million

Howard -- $2.5-3 milion

Hedges --$2.25-2.75 million

Fisher -- $1.5-2 million

Meo

Eierman -- $1-1.5 million

Dickerson

Ramirez

Vollmuth

Esposito

I'd rank:

Norris -- $3-3.5 million

Howard -- $2.5-3 milion

Hedges --$2.25-2.75 million

Fisher -- $1.5-2 million

Meo

Eierman -- $1-1.5 million

Ramirez

Vollmuth

Esposito

Did you forget to add Dickerson or is he last of that group?

Archived