Draft Questions

Don't mean to call this out as if I deserve or need special attention, but my attention is heavily divided w/ML org stuff and my own stuff the rest of the day. If there are specific questions you have relating to the draft I'm happy to answer in this thread. It's tough for me to follow all the other discussions going on.

Thanks!

What would you grade the O's draft through the first 5 rounds?

Too difficult at this point, since we don't have an idea as to what some of the players still out there are asking for. I think it's a little overly-conservative for my taste. Would have liked to have seen BAL pop Dillon Howar or Daniel Norris in the 2nd Round.

As an aside, Tampa, Toronto and Boston are still going overslot.

Your thoughts on the Delmonico pick? First over slot pick, no?

I have heard seven-figures on Delmonico. I love that they announced him as a 3b, as he pretty clearly does not have the arm to catch. The bat was impressive over the summer, and great during BP, but was up and down against meh competition this spring. I would say my feelings about the pick are about how I felt with Connor Narron. I completely understand the pick and it is a justifiable upside pick that many will agree with. I personally would have preferred Norris/Howard to Delmonico.

But it is a very good upside power bat. Just some probability questions for the price.

I would like to know how the guys that held out last year did this year.

Like everyone? Karsten Whitson was my highest rated hold-out and he broke into the weekend rotation for the Gators right away and posted an incredible first year.

I have heard seven-figures on Delmonico. I love that they announced him as a 3b, as he pretty clearly does not have the arm to catch. The bat was impressive over the summer, and great during BP, but was up and down against meh competition this spring. I would say my feelings about the pick are about how I felt with Connor Narron. I completely understand the pick and it is a justifiable upside pick that many will agree with. I personally would have preferred Norris/Howard to Delmonico.

But it is a very good upside power bat. Just some probability questions for the price.

Which Howard?

Like everyone? Karsten Whitson was my highest rated hold-out and he broke into the weekend rotation for the Gators right away and posted an incredible first year.

I meant players that were drafted, didn't sign, were redrafted this year and either improved (good decision to not sign) or fell (bad..).

For example:

121 Seattle Mariners Compensation for failure to signing 2010 3rd rounder Ryne Stanek. Where is Stanek today?

I meant players that were drafted, didn't sign, were redrafted this year and either improved (good decision to not sign) or fell (bad..).

For example:

121 Seattle Mariners Compensation for failure to signing 2010 3rd rounder Ryne Stanek. Where is Stanek today?

Stanek is at the Univ. of Arkansas and had a very good 1st year. Short list for 2014 1st Rounder.

Nick,

In your Top 300, you had Esposito 75th, and Delmonico 62nd.

Are there other guys similarly ranked to Delmonico falling due to signability concerns?

A lot of them have been scooped up already. I think Shon Carson (of/mif, Lake City HS, Lake City, S.C.) is the only top 100 guy I have as undrafted thus far.

What do you think of JJ's strategy to draft several college BP arms? (RD's: 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10). Perhaps Wright and maybe Simon could be tried as a starter, but it seems most likely all of them are slotted as BP arms. Your thoughts?

What do you think of JJ's strategy to draft several college BP arms? (RD's: 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10). Perhaps Wright and maybe Simon could be tried as a starter, but it seems most likely all of them are slotted as BP arms. Your thoughts?

Trent Howard (Rd 7) is a college starter and doesn't profile as a BP arm (multiple pitches, lefty, low velocity). But good question otherwise.

Archived