Mark Connor Resigns

aggro5288

For the record, just so we can all keep track:

On the day Connor resigned, after 63 games, the Orioles had a team ERA of 4.22, 11th in the American League (3.95 league average). The starters had an ERA of 4.16, 11th in the league (4.00 league average), and they were averaging 5.67 IP/start, last in the league. The bullpen had an ERA of 4.37, 11th in the league (3.88 league average) and was pitching 3.47 innings/game (2nd most in the AL).

But we did show a bigger improvement over last year, even accounting for the league average ERA dropping and BMat not being healthy. So far so good for the most part.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised because this seemed to come out of nowhere, but I can't say I'm unhappy. I was surprised when Buck went with Connors despite his advanced age and honestly, can anyone think of one quote from any Orioles pitcher that has given Connors credit for anything positive?

Has any pitcher significantly improved this year? Gonzales hasn't been fixed, Bergesen lost his sinker, Tillman remains inconsistent, Gregg complained that he was changed during spring training and it took him awhile to fix himself, Matusz hasn't had his arm strength all spring and now can't hold runners to save his life.

Now maybe none of this is Connors' fault, but at the end of the day, I can't think of one reason why I'd want him still around anyways.

Adair is well respected and should do a great job. I much rather have him as PC anyways and should have been the original hire really. As for bullpen coach, I say they convince Itzuris to retire and give him the gig the rest of the year or go down to Norfolk and promote Brad Komminsk.

How about assign Itzuris to the position? Everyone like Itzuris and he's already like a coach. It's probably time for him to hang them up anyways.

Izturis actually did coach the bullpen the day Adair went to Bowie to watch Matusz.

I'm surprised because this seemed to come out of nowhere, but I can't say I'm unhappy. I was surprised when Buck went with Connors despite his advanced age and honestly, can anyone think of one quote from any Orioles pitcher that has given Connors credit for anything positive?

Has any pitcher significantly improved this year? Gonzales hasn't been fixed, Bergesen lost his sinker, Tillman remains inconsistent, Gregg complained that he was changed during spring training and it took him awhile to fix himself, Matusz hasn't had his arm strength all spring and now can't hold runners to save his life.

Now maybe none of this is Connors' fault, but at the end of the day, I can't think of one reason why I'd want him still around anyways.

Adair is well respected and should do a great job. I much rather have him as PC anyways and should have been the original hire really. As for bullpen coach, I say they convince Itzuris to retire and give him the gig the rest of the year or go down to Norfolk and promote Brad Komminsk.

Only one quibble.

Bergesen lost his sinker last season.

But we did show a bigger improvement over last year, even accounting for the league average ERA dropping and BMat not being healthy. So far so good for the most part.

Well, don't forget that the pitching was very good in August and September last year -- considerably better than in the first 63 games this season.

I just listed the current stats so we can see whether things improve or get worse for the rest of this season. It's good to have a record of where things stood the day Connor resigned. It should also be noted, the team ERA is 3.22 so far in June, so things were on the upswing when he left.

I can't tell if you were joking or not but Izturis is only 31 years old. There is no way he will retire. If the Orioles ask him to retire, Izturis will just find another organization to play for. It's really a no-brainer for Izturis....play in the MLB or be a bullpen coach

Only one quibble.

Bergesen lost his sinker last season.

He didn't have it when he first came back from the injury. But it was working fine his last 5-6 starts last season and everyone expected him to bounce back this year. But then....poof!....it was gone, and it happened on Connors watch. Not saying it was his fault, but he wasn't able to solve the mystery of why.

He didn't have it when he first came back from the injury. But it was working fine his last 5-6 starts last season and everyone expected him to bounce back this year. But then....poof!....it was gone, and it happened on Connors watch. Not saying it was his fault, but he wasn't able to solve the mystery of why.

Are you sure? I don't have the time to look it up right now but I remember him throwing a lot more four seam fastballs the last half dozen starts.

This opens the door to Dempsey returning as BP coach.* Buck, better watch your back. ;)

*Actually, I know Buck is smarter than making that move.

I think both sides say no... Dempsey was really only interested in coaching if it meant Manager further on down the road. I doubt he still thinks that's a reality.

Only pitcher that has noticeably improved is Arrieta. Is it possible that Conner had anything to do with that?

I can't tell if you were joking or not but Izturis is only 31 years old. There is no way he will retire. If the Orioles ask him to retire, Izturis will just find another organization to play for. It's really a no-brainer for Izturis....play in AAA or be a bullpen coach

Fixed that for you. I like Izzy's defense, but his hitting has gone from being about the weakest of any starter in the league 2 years ago, to off-the-charts terrible.

2009: .622 OPS

2010: .545 OPS

2011: .442 OPS

What has been particularly noticeable this year, both in spring training and the regular season, is that suddenly Izzy is striking out a ton. Last year he struck out once every 9 at bats; this year, once every three at bats. He is done as a major leaguer after this season, one way or the other, IMO.

Don't forget the fact that Cesar only has played in 16 games this year and is on the 60-day DL. Okay so Cesar struck out a lot in those 16 games; you cannot compare those stats to an entire 2010 season. Izturis still has a playing career ahead of him and will be in the majors again, even though he may have a stint in the minors. I know if I was in Izturis' shoes and the Orioles asked me to retire and become a bullpen coach, I'd consider that an insult.

Don't forget the fact that Cesar only has played in 16 games this year and is on the 60-day DL. Okay so Cesar struck out a lot in those 16 games; you cannot compare those stats to an entire 2010 season.

As I said, he also struck out a ton in spring training (12 K's in 38 at bats), in addition to the regular season (9 K's in 26 AB). For many purposes I disregard small sample sizes, but when you are talking about an extreme change in a player's strikeout ratio like that, my gut tells me that something is seriously wrong. Izzy has struck out only about once every 10 AB in his career. And unlike batting average or some other stats, strikeouts aren't a function of where you happen to hit the ball. They are a function of not hitting the ball.

Besides, he was a terrrible hitter even before he started striking out once every 3 at bats. His numbers last year weren't acceptable at all. I like Izzy, but he no longer belongs on a major league roster.

As I said, he also struck out a ton in spring training (12 K's in 38 at bats), in addition to the regular season (9 K's in 26 AB). For many purposes I disregard small sample sizes, but when you are talking about an extreme change in a player's strikeout ratio like that, my gut tells me that something is seriously wrong. Izzy has struck out only about once every 10 AB in his career. And unlike batting average or some other stats, strikeouts aren't a function of where you happen to hit the ball. They are a function of not hitting the ball.

Besides, he was a terrrible hitter even before he started striking out once every 3 at bats. His numbers last year weren't acceptable at all. I like Izzy, but he no longer belongs on a major league roster.

Your gut is right...a right elbow ulnar nerve injury that required surgery.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20110518&content_id=19226486&vkey=pr_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

Archived