Jeter to the DL; I'm bummed out

Frobby

Derek Jeter was just placed on the DL, and I'm really bummed out about it. I'm going out of the country for 9 days starting Thursday night, and was really hoping he'd get his 3000th hit while I was thousands of miles away and nowhere near ESPN.

Yea!! Boo to great player who's never had any off the field issues, played his entire career in one city, won 5 World Series titles, and his great accomplishment! :rolleyes:

Come on guys, he's at the end of his career, not that effective anymore, won't be "bothering" you all much longer. Can we just stop for one minute, and salute a guy who's about to get his 3000th hit? Come on, just one clap, one tip of the cap, I promise, it won't hurt!!

Yea!! Boo to great player who's never had any off the field issues, played his entire career in one city, won 5 World Series titles, and his great accomplishment! :rolleyes:

Come on guys, he's at the end of his career, not that effective anymore, won't be "bothering" you all much longer. Can we just stop for one minute, and salute a guy who's about to get his 3000th hit? Come on, just one clap, one tip of the cap, I promise, it won't hurt!!

Do you have to "take up" for Jeter every time someone mentions they're tired of hearing about it. Yeah, he's a great player. The problem that everyone has with it, is that it's jammed down everyone's throat all the time. People are tired of hearing about this overrated player.

Do you have to "take up" for Jeter every time someone mentions they're tired of hearing about it. Yeah, he's a great player. The problem that everyone has with it, is that it's jammed down everyone's throat all the time. People are tired of hearing about this overrated player.

Of course I don't have to take up for him, but choose to. I expect to get grief on here, god forbid I like and respect a player on the Yankees. Every time a player gets close to 3000 hits, there's a countdown on ESPN, MLB Network, whatever. It's part of the deal. Happens every time, it only "annoying" this time though since we've been hearing about him for years. I get it, believe me, I don't agree with it, but I do get it.

Of course I don't have to take up for him, but choose to. I expect to get grief on here, god forbid I like and respect a player on the Yankees. Every time a player gets close to 3000 hits, there's a countdown on ESPN, MLB Network, whatever. It's part of the deal. Happens every time, it only "annoying" this time though since we've been hearing about him for years. I get it, believe me, I don't agree with it, but I do get it.

So if you "get it" as you say, then why do you feel the need to post some sort of snarky comment in every Jeter thread like this?

You're on an Orioles message board, you obviously know the drill by now. And I think everyone here already knows your thoughts on the subject too. We're no longer beating a dead horse anymore, we're smacking around bottles of glue for pete's sake.

The problem I have with him is that if he was the leader he was made out to be then when Arod joined the team Jeter would have moved to 3rd. Arod was clearly the better shortstop at the time of the trade and the Yankees would have been a better team defensively with the move. Jeter however, wouldn't accept the blow to his ego and put himself above the team.

So if you "get it" as you say, then why do you feel the need to post some sort of snarky comment in every Jeter thread like this?

You're on an Orioles message board, you obviously know the drill by now. And I think everyone here already knows your thoughts on the subject too. We're no longer beating a dead horse anymore, we're smacking around bottles of glue for pete's sake.

Snarky, really? I'm just playing around to be honest..But your point is taken, I won't mention it again.

I'm not sure what you don't agree with then. Do you think that Jeter should get more attention than anyone else in their pursuit of 3,000 hits just b/c he's the Yankees SS?

Also, it's not about liking or respecting the guy. I think we all agree that he's a no doubt Hall of Famer. The problem that everyone seems to have is that he gets way more attention and accolades than he deserves. Would he get anywhere near the attention he gets if he played for Toronto his whole career?

I'm not booing Jeter. I've got nothing against him at all. But if you think that ESPN is going to give his 3000th hit the same level of attention they gave to, say, Eddie Murray's, you are out of your mind. And I, for one, don't want to hear about it 24/7. They already spent a month mooning over him when he became the all-time Yankee hit leader a year or two ago, even thought that only put him about 40th on the all-time list. I don't need to hear the same stuff all over again. So, if I was away when it happened, I would be happy to miss all the hype.

Exactly. It would be a whole lot easier to "tip your hat" to Jeter for his accomplishments, if his entire career hadn't been inflated to some kind of Herculean feat by the media. People get tired of hearing how great he is because he's not as great as he's made out to be. The fact that he has more Gold Gloves than Cal Ripken really irritates me.

How funny would it be if Jeter had to retire with 2997 or whatever? :)

Not going to happen..unless his calf injury turns into something worse. And I would also say this..if this was a player on another team, would we be rooting for him or wishing for bad things to happen to him?

I'm not booing Jeter. I've got nothing against him at all. But if you think that ESPN is going to give his 3000th hit the same level of attention they gave to, say, Eddie Murray's, you are out of your mind. And I, for one, don't want to hear about it 24/7. They already spent a month mooning over him when he became the all-time Yankee hit leader a year or two ago, even thought that only put him about 40th on the all-time list. I don't need to hear the same stuff all over again. So, if I was away when it happened, I would be happy to miss all the hype.

Hey Frobby, whether you are in America or Greece, guess what??? You don't HAVE to watch ESPN!!!

Archived