Eduardo Rodriguez

Slade-OH

I don't believe it. Do the Orioles actually have a potentially legitimate pitching prospect signed out of Venezuela here? Just 18 years old. 6'2 175. Just finished his GCL debut with 5 IP 1 H 0 R 1 BB 9 K. I remember seeing highlighted as someone to watch last year with good numbers as a 17 year old in the DSL. Could he be this years Jonathan Schoop, by that I mean, an actual prospect that emerges from our DSL team?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't believe it. Do the Orioles actually have a potentially legitimate pitching prospect signed out of Venezuela here? Just 18 years old. 6'2 175. Just finished his GCL debut with 5 IP 1 H 0 R 1 BB 9 K. I remember seeing highlighted as someone to watch last year with good numbers as a 17 year old in the DSL. Could he be this years Jonathan Schoop, by that I mean, an actual prospect that emerges from our DSL team?

Craig caught him on film the other day in Sarasota:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=1880722057874&set=a.1880564573937.2099952.1235989612&type=1&theater

Looks like a mean lefty!

Funny, I was thinking the same thing as I was scrolling through pictures of him uploaded on the site as an early candidate for Player of the Night (someone's gotta give Machado some run tonight, right?).

The best part about the guy that I know of him so far is that he's a lefty. Maybe Craig or Tony or someone can chime in on what type of stuff this guy has.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully, he turns into a good one. Does anyone have a scouting report on him?

I asked Baseball America's Ben Badler about Rodriguez during an email exchange in May:

JT: O’s fans are well aware of shortstop Jonathan Schoop, as he’s put himself among the system’s top prospects. But few know much about the recently signed Hector Veloz or Eduardo Rodriguez, who spent 2010 in the DSL and put up some solid numbers. Can you provide some a brief scouting report and some background information on those two?

BB: Veloz was their top international signing from 2010. He’s a power bat with solid defensive tools, but he already tested positive for steroids before signing. I’m not making a moral judgment about a player using steroids or a team choosing to sign a player who has tested positive, but from a practical standpoint, I’d be very wary about signing a steroid guy. The tools he’s showing–especially power, which is Veloz’s strength–aren’t guaranteed to be the same when he’s off steroids, which is a lesson some international scouts have told me they’ve learned first-hand. Then you have the long-term ramifications of what happens when you give a 16-year-old kid anabolic steroids, which, again, not from a moral standpoint but a practical one of needing this player to perform for the major league team six to 12 years down the road, are a risk I wouldn’t be comfortable taking. Regardless, he’ll probably start in the Dominican Summer League. Rodriguez was a nice sign out of Venezuela last year. He’ll get it up to 90 mph with good movement and mixes in a changeup with some potential and he has good feel to pitch for his age. I’d expect him to come to the GCL this summer.

• 3 weeks later...
Bump. Now through 4 games and he's pitching great. Hopefully we have a potential sleeper elite prospect here.

Big time sleeper. Potential plus curveball and fastball. Sitting 88-91 right now, but room for growth. From what I've heard, more feel/pitchability than you typically see from Latin teenagers. I'll be seeing him in the GCL in a week and a half. Hope to get some video.

Big time sleeper. Potential plus curveball and fastball. Sitting 88-91 right now, but room for growth. From what I've heard, more feel/pitchability than you typically see from Latin teenagers. I'll be seeing him in the GCL in a week and a half. Hope to get some video.

If you get to see them, I'd also be very interested in your impressions of Esquivel, Vader, Adrian and Chalas.

If you get to see them, I'd also be very interested in your impressions of Esquivel, Vader, Adrian and Chalas.

Finalized my mid-season top-30 today. Esquivel came in at 19, Vader at 23, and I named Chalas as the most interesting name to fall outside the top 30. Also very interested in seeing Adrian for the first time. Eduardo Rodriguez, btw, came in at 18.

Hope to have video and in-depth reports of the guys I catch by the end of the month.

Being as though many on here know AMs international efforts are a total failure can somebody tell me who the guys that have stepped up into the mid 90s this season?

Spent a week in the GCL about 2 weeks ago.

Eduardo Rodriguez: 89-92 mph (didn't see him pitch, but talked to scouts)

Miguel Chalas: 91-94 mph when I saw him and touched 96

Jorge Rivera: lefty was 91-93 mph when I saw him

Juan Guzman: 92-94 mph when I saw him

Jose Nivar: converted outfielder sat 94-97 mph when I saw him and has touched 99 mph this year, and even 100 mph at times (MASN story)

Archived