The Washington Post Wins Again

Frobby

The Nats blew an 8-0 lead yesterday to lose 9-8. On the front page of the Sports section, the Post ran a graphic describing how each run in the game was scored, and the inning and game state, and the "win probability" at that point in the game. It very effectively showed that the probability was 99.1% at the time the Nats' lead reached 8-0 and tortuously dwindled from there.

This is just another example of the Post actually using some of the data that is available these days that most newspapers still ignore. They frequently refer to WAR and UZR in articles, after giving the Reader's Digest explanation of what they mean. I'd love it if the press covering the Orioles on a daily basis, including the Sun and MASN, would get with the program a little bit. I'm not expecting full-out geekhood, just something to recognize that this isn't 1907.

The Nats blew an 8-0 lead yesterday to lose 9-8. On the front page of the Sports section, the Post ran a graphic describing how each run in the game was scored, and the inning and game state, and the "win probability" at that point in the game. It very effectively showed that the probability was 99.1% at the time the Nats' lead reached 8-0 and tortuously dwindled from there.

This is just another example of the Post actually using some of the data that is available these days that most newspapers still ignore. They frequently refer to WAR and UZR in articles, after giving the Reader's Digest explanation of what they mean. I'd love it if the press covering the Orioles on a daily basis, including the Sun and MASN, would get with the program a little bit. I'm not expecting full-out geekhood, just something to recognize that this isn't 1907.

The Game Tracker on MLB.com does the win probability thing throughout the game. I love it. Oh, and I agree with your comments about the newspapers. Its just another reason why I read the net and not newspapers anymore.

Archived