Keith Law was on 105.7 today

sbauer

I am sure that Law has a vast network and I am not questioning his networking abilities. I was and will continue to question his resume because it seems thin to me.

To be a respected person when one's job is to give out their expert opinion, one needs to respect the subject matter. There is a value in knowing how to get a point across without seeming to be happy to be the messenger of bad things. At the end of the day I consider anyone that works in the media to be a provider of a service. And the public is the customer. As the customer I can decide if I believe the service provider is doing a good job or not. There are others who could say the same thing and I would not question it because of my belief in their resume and they do a much better job of being believable in what they say.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am sure that Law has a vast network and I am not questioning his networking abilities. I was and will continue to question his resume because it seems thin to me.

To be a respected person when one's job is to give out their expert opinion, one needs to respect the subject matter. There is a value in knowing how to get a point across without seeming to be happy to be the messenger of bad things. At the end of the day I consider anyone that works in the media to be a provider of a service. And the public is the customer. As the customer I can decide if I believe the service provider is doing a good job or not. There are others who could say the same thing and I would not question it because of my belief in their resume and they do a much better job of being believable in what they say.

Sort of falls under don't shoot the messenger. Yours was kind of an ad hominem attack on Kieth Law. He brought up valid points: pitchers losing velocity, hitters not succeeding at the major league level after tearing up the minors, bad FA signings when there is no hope of competing. I thought his points were well placed and certainly valid points for discussion. I would love to see the O's FO address them. Bad luck doesn't explain everything. Doctor heal thyself. The O's need to look inward and make changes. 14 years of losing and counting.

So you want him to sugarcoat everything and turn a blind eye to what is really happening, and take the optimistic viewpoint when there is ZERO evidence to support such a position?

He is a national writer, not a CBS radio or MASN employee.

The U.S. congress is a national entity like espn. That means next to nothing to me as far as as knowing or being an expert on anything. Some I believe and some I do not depending on their point of view and there ability to speak. Masn and cbs are much better in my opinion but not as good in the opinion of others.

The U.S. congress is a national entity like espn. That means next to nothing to me as far as as knowing or being an expert on anything. Some I believe and some I do not depending on their point of view and there ability to speak. Masn and cbs are much better in my opinion but not as good in the opinion of others.

Good lord, let it go!

You think MASN is better than ESPN? LOL

I wish I could live in a universe where I could reject reality and substitute my own.

I will respect your opinions and will never put them down. I will argue with you about them and discuss them but always with respect. I think you deserve that as a fellow Oriole Hangout person. I Wish you could as well.

If you could put that respect towards the opinion of a writer, instead of attacking them simply because their opinions on the Orioles don't match yours, maybe you would get it from others. But you aren't practicing what you preach. You just look like a blind homer.

I just think it is fair to ask why this person opinions is so widely accepted as a respected opinion on baseball. As far as I know he worked briefly for the Blue Jays and that is the only job in baseball that he has held. ESPN has kind of a history of hiring people with out much experiance for these kind of scouting roles. Like Todd Mcshay. Before I put much stock in an opinion of anyone in the media I look at their public resume. Like Mcshay Law's is not as impressive to me as I would have thought. As far as what he said.He always says the same thing about Baltimore so I take it with a grain of salt. I agree mostly with what he said.

So the Orioles are either not drafting the right players or they are not developing them correctly. Law seems to think that we are doing a poor job developing them and based on the talent Baltimore has brought in and how other GM's have drooled over some of our young guys, I think Law is correct. Wieters (1), Rhadames Liz (69), Reimold (91)Matusz (5), Tillman (22), Bell (37), Britton (28) and Arrieta (67) and Machado (14) and now Bundy (8-25) have/will all ranked inside of the top-100 prospects by Baseball America in the past. So are we drafting players that lack talent? No, I say that we are doing a poor job helping players reach their max upside.

However that is not the point. Frobby says the intercostal injury would not effect Matusz' velocity. I was asking why he believed that to be true.

No, that was not what he said. What he said was that Matusz had lost velocity last year compared to 2009. Which obviously was not a result of the injury he sustained this spring.

I understand that he may be giving voice to some of your own opinions and frustrations. I am not attacking you or the opinions of Law just his resume of being an expert on the sport of baseball. Enjoy your Law reviews. Forgive me as I did not know he was held in such high regard. I will leave him alone for now.

I understand that he may be giving voice to some of your own opinions and frustrations. I am not attacking you or the opinions of Law just his resume of being an expert on the sport of baseball. Enjoy your Law reviews. Forgive me as I did not know he was held in such high regard. I will leave him alone for now.

You never explained why you were questioning his resume, other than some vague comments about him not having a job in baseball anymore (which you were rightly called out on) and something about "he worked a couple years for the Blue Jays".

So you haven't brought any evidence to your argument, yet are so shocked when people not only call you on it, but read your reactions as though you are attacking him simply because his opinion disagrees with yours (when your previous posts suggest such a view is not only possible, but extremely likely).

Look, your optimism is good to have around. This place can get far too maudlin and negative at times, so there needs to be some balance. But taking optimism too far is just as bad as taking pessimism too far, because when you reach the far edges of the spectrum opinions are based far too much on agenda than on actual belief. And that rightly calls those opinions into question.

Archived