Keith Law was on 105.7 today

sbauer

I see Law as someone who had one brief job in baseball and then went to go work in the media.

I am perhaps wrong but those who can do things do things. There is a reason that movie critics do not direct. Why food critics are not chefs.Why building inspectors do not build. Why political writers are not in politics. Those are all great jobs but they do not actually do the work they are being critical about.

I respect what Jim Palmer says because he has done the actual work just like Mike Flanagan.

If the gm of the yankees or the Red Sox or any other team were to go work for espn then I will have nothing to say. That is where I am coming from. Look I hate to come off as a kool-aid drinker all of the time and I appreciate your comments about optimism very much. I am a Carolina Panthers fan and I think that nuts are now in charge there and argue every day with the Charlotte media.

And I am a regular on a panthers fan web site similar to the hangout where I am one of the few not drinking teal colored kool-aid. I just feel differantly about the Orioles and how they are being ran in to the ground. Give me a critic who has built a team or coached a team or managed a team and I will shut up.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Law's criticisms would not seem so relevant except for the fact that what he said about the Orioles before this season began has turned out to be spot on. He said Reynolds was a "butcher" at 3B. He said if Vlad "wasn't toast, he's in the toaster." Fans took great umbrage at these remarks, and some others, and guess what, he turned out to be completely corrrect. So, that is why people are taking his opinions very seriously now.

I like Law. I find him entertaining and he seems knowledgeable. However, I do have some reason for pause with him. At the Futures game he butchered Schoop's name while praising him effusively. But Schoop is a bit obscure, so let's forgive that. Then in this interview he repeatedly mispronounces markakis's name. That's just odd to me.

Maybe the name thing is just somethig with him. But it also could be a sign that he is bluffing his way through some of this. With the Internet it is very easy to do especially if you are a good talker like Law. If you don't think a guy can sound great but be an idiot listen to Jim Bowden on the MLB channel.

All of the above being said, great interview and given the regression of Matusz, Nick, and Tillman, I tend to agree with him. The problem with what he says is that if Matusz, Nick, and Tillman were what Law thought they were going into the season, this team would be about .500

I see Law as someone who had one brief job in baseball and then went to go work in the media.

Well he also worked at BP and is highly respected by the other scouts in the media (Callis, Goldstein). Do you not respect the thoughts of Palmer when it comes to the front office or managing? He's never done either one of those things. Do you not respect the thoughts of Jay Bilas when it comes to his criticisms of coaches or criticizing the NCAA tourney selection? He's never been a head coach or a tournament committee member.

As for your analogy about food critics, that may be true but it doesn't mean they can't tell you something tastes like poo. They have an understanding of what goes into making the meal and they're able to observe the results. They may not be able to tell you exactly where the chef went wrong, just like Law doesn't know what exactly is going wrong with certain aspects of this organizatoin, but they can tell you something is wrong with the finished product.

Law's criticisms would not seem so relevant except for the fact that what he said about the Orioles before this season began has turned out to be spot on. He said Reynolds was a "butcher" at 3B. He said if Vlad "wasn't toast, he's in the toaster." Fans took great umbrage at these remarks, and some others, and guess what, he turned out to be completely corrrect. So, that is why people are taking his opinions very seriously now.

I like Law but I'm not giving him the 2011 soothsayer award. Predicting that Vlad was done wasn't exactly going out on the limb. He was down on Reynolds defense but he was also no fan of his game with the bat which has been solid (given expectations). I'd be more impressed if he was predicting woes for the pitching which is the primary reason the team is reeling.

I'm surprised most on here are talking about Law as a journalist and not more about what Law had to say about Markakis and how he is not into it here. Do you think there is any truth to this, that Nick is bummed and just wants out?

How do you say Schoop anyway?

It's pronounced "scope" which is something that has only been reported on for a month or two at most. I still hear local radio guys call him Schoop so it's no shock that a national guy pronounces the name the way it looks.

Keith is a really smart guy -- like walk away thinking "Damn, that's a smart dude" after talking to him. His baseball IQ is huge. There is some ego there, but there should be with anyone who evaluates for a living and has the smarts to back it up. I think you'll find evaluators in the industry who like Keith and agree with a lot of what he has to say. I think you'll find some evaluators who disagree. But the bottom line is he has pedigree, intelligence, experience and the respect of at least a section of the industry that evaluates talent for a living. His opinion is worth more than 99.9% of the message board posters and bloggers out there, even if he whiffs from time to time (who doesn't?) or comes at a player/situation with a little bit of bias (who doesn't?).

Darn straight. And he got BASHED on here then. There were a few who thought he was making good points (pre-season), but mostly it was poorly received here. I can sort of understand it then, but now, just take in what the man is saying. He knows what hes talking about.

Darn straight. And he got BASHED on here then. There were a few who thought he was making good points (pre-season), but mostly it was poorly received here. I can sort of understand it then, but now, just take in what the man is saying. He knows what hes talking about.

He really is stating the obvious in this interview...Much of what he is saying has been said on here many times.

It simply amazes me that people on this site, smart people who see this team everyday, still can't grasp many of these simple ideas and concepts. Heads are still buried in the sand.

I like Law. I find him entertaining and he seems knowledgeable. However, I do have some reason for pause with him. At the Futures game he butchered Schoop's name while praising him effusively. But Schoop is a bit obscure, so let's forgive that. Then in this interview he repeatedly mispronounces markakis's name. That's just odd to me.

Maybe the name thing is just somethig with him. But it also could be a sign that he is bluffing his way through some of this. With the Internet it is very easy to do especially if you are a good talker like Law. If you don't think a guy can sound great but be an idiot listen to Jim Bowden on the MLB channel.

All of the above being said, great interview and given the regression of Matusz, Nick, and Tillman, I tend to agree with him. The problem with what he says is that if Matusz, Nick, and Tillman were what Law thought they were going into the season, this team would be about .500

I think Bowden sounds like an idiot. Sort of Shirley Temple trying to act butch. And Markakis mispronounces his own name. It's Greek and should be pronounced the same as the hapless POTUS candidate or the aging actress. I begrudgingly admit that Law knows what he is talking about.

I think Bowden sounds like an idiot. Sort of Shirley Temple trying to act butch. And Markakis mispronounces his own name. It's Greek and should be pronounced the same as the hapless POTUS candidate or the aging actress. I begrudgingly admit that Law knows what he is talking about.

Brett Favre and Antwan Jamison say "Hi". Maybe I should have used the example of Matt Millen who was universally lauded as an analyst prior to becoming part of a front office. No matter, point about Law is that he may be getting a little lazy and less hungry. It happens to the best of us. When it does with these types of guys one way it shows up is lack of familiarity with pronunciation of names. Law would be the first to admit Hejaz other interests he is passionate about--board games, literature, and cooking.

Archived