LaRussa to announce retirement

Basketeer

I can see Dave Duncan and Francona getting interviews.

Duncan is unquestionably one of the best pitching coaches in the game. Having served under LaRussa for so long is a positive, hopefully something wore-off. Lack of managerial experience may hurt him though. It may be in the Cardinals best interest to retain him as pitching coach under a new manager.

I'm not sure how to read Francona. Remember, this guy was underwhelming as manager of the Phillies. Was Boston successful because of his managing or because of the shrewd GM-ing of Epstein? If the reports about the frat-like atmosphere in the Boston clubhouse are true, Francona looks weak for not shaping things up.

As I wrote in the other thread:

"La Russa's Cardinals teams finished above .500 in 12 of his 15 seasons, including the 2004 and 2005 seasons in which the team recorded 105 and 100 wins, respectively, making La Russa just the second Cardinals manager to oversee two 100-win campaigns. His Cardinals teams finished no lower than third place in all but three seasons and they held first place or were within a game of first place during September in nine of the past 11 seasons. Prior to 2007's 78-84 finish, the Cardinals were the lone National League team to have posted a winning record in every season since 2000. In 33 years of managing in the major league he put up a 2728 -2365, .536 winning PCT with 6 Pennants and 3 World Series Titles."

He's a clear HoF manager.

Duncan is unquestionably one of the best pitching coaches in the game. Having served under LaRussa for so long is a positive, hopefully something wore-off. Lack of managerial experience may hurt him though. It may be in the Cardinals best interest to retain him as pitching coach under a new manager.

I'm not sure how to read Francona. Remember, this guy was underwhelming as manager of the Phillies. Was Boston successful because of his managing or because of the shrewd GM-ing of Epstein? If the reports about the frat-like atmosphere in the Boston clubhouse are true, Francona looks weak for not shaping things up.

He is going to have to wean himself from the pain killers before his next job.

Before this thread spirals off topic, I just want to say this is the perfect ending to a Hall of Fame career. If you could script it as a kid, this is how you'd want to go out.

No doubt. I wonder if LaRussa would have retired if the Cards hadn't won the World Series. He's certainly been at it long enough, but I have to think that going out on top after being so far out of the picture in August was very appealing to him. This was about as good as it could ever get.

O

3 Golds and 3 Silvers for La Russa. :)

More importantly, he made Mike Francesca look like an idiot. In 2005, Francesca said that La Russa "burned his teams out in the regular season, and they had nothing left for the playoffs." :cool:

Archived