Matusz to work out with Brady

Sports Guy

Sure, I can see that.

I know a lot of folks are disagreeing with me, so I'll let it drop after I make this point.

My opinion of Reimold and Wieters is not an opinion about where they are relative to other players, like Markakis (great example, BTW). It's an opinion about where I think they could be relative to where they are now. Both clearly have more power than guys like Markakis, but that doesn't mean they're hitting their physical peak.

Like Barry Bonds perhaps?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I generally agree with this assessment. That said, having speed (and a decent arm) as basic skills, don't you think those other skills can be improved on? He seemed (anectodely and statistically) much improved last year in the field.

In a nutshell, no. He's had the same deficiencies for many years. This is the same concern with Avery, by the way. I hold out more hope for him because he's played the game a lot less than Reimold.

One of the most predictable plays an outfielder can make is to charge a ball, particularly on the plush major league outfields. Reimold is uncomfortable doing this. He doesn't actively put himself into a position to get the ball on a good hop. So, he has to slow down. This adds time to get to the ball and slows his momentum, thus diminishing his above average arm strength. The same is true with his routes. He's not going to get to as many balls because of bad routes, but he's also not going to get to as many balls in the right fielding position. That means he has to reset himself (which takes time) and it lessens the chance that he can get 100% behind his throws.

In a nutshell, if Reimold made a Cespedes-like video, I bet he'd look impressive. He's fast and has a nice, strong, arm. However, watching him play, better evaluators than me (I was an outfielder) can pick apart his defensive game. Today's defensive stats seem incapable of identifying this stuff with any regularity.

I know a lot of folks are disagreeing with me, so I'll let it drop after I make this point.

My opinion of Reimold and Wieters is not an opinion about where they are relative to other players, like Markakis (great example, BTW). It's an opinion about where I think they could be relative to where they are now. Both clearly have more power than guys like Markakis, but that doesn't mean they're hitting their physical peak.

Well, Reimold spent last winter working out with Brady, and he looked in good shape to me. Just my opinion. As to Wieters, you have to be pretty careful with catchers. He has spent some time at API in past offseasons as I recall.

I generally agree with this assessment. That said, having speed (and a decent arm) as basic skills, don't you think those other skills can be improved on? He seemed (anectodely and statistically) much improved last year in the field.

I thought he looked a bit better in the field. I agree with LookingUp that he is very tentative on balls hit in front of him.

Well, Reimold spent last winter working out with Brady, and he looked in good shape to me. Just my opinion. As to Wieters, you have to be pretty careful with catchers. He has spent some time at API in past offseasons as I recall.

Getting back to the broader discussion, this is exactly the problem the Orioles have. I like the idea of people working out with Brady, but I'd much prefer a more comprehensive program for all players. Brady could be a part of it, but our highlighting 3-5 players working out with Brady simply isn't cutting it. I know MLB isn't the NFL, so offseason activities are less regulated, but it just seems obvious to me that the O's don't have high enough expectations on their players up and down the organization in this regard. The worst two examples of this are Snyder and Angle, from my limited observations. These two guys have been a part of our organization for many years, yet they both still look like they're in high school.

I suspect DD will change that, actually.

Getting back to the broader discussion, this is exactly the problem the Orioles have. I like the idea of people working out with Brady, but I'd much prefer a more comprehensive program for all players. Brady could be a part of it, but our highlighting 3-5 players working out with Brady simply isn't cutting it.

We agree on this point. I only highlighted Brady because you happened to single out Reimold, who in my mind is not a good example of the problem you are pointing out.

We agree on this point. I only highlighted Brady because you happened to single out Reimold, who in my mind is not a good example of the problem you are pointing out.

That's fair. I could be wrong. I am frankly basing some of my opinion on a picture that's a couple of years old. I'd note, though, that the pic was taken after I saw Reimold in Bowie, and his physical attributes jumped out at me on that day. In a nutshell, I think Reimold could be a physical beast. I really think his physical potential is massive, so maybe I'm selling him short.

Getting back to the broader discussion, this is exactly the problem the Orioles have. I like the idea of people working out with Brady, but I'd much prefer a more comprehensive program for all players. Brady could be a part of it, but our highlighting 3-5 players working out with Brady simply isn't cutting it. I know MLB isn't the NFL, so offseason activities are less regulated, but it just seems obvious to me that the O's don't have high enough expectations on their players up and down the organization in this regard. The worst two examples of this are Snyder and Angle, from my limited observations. These two guys have been a part of our organization for many years, yet they both still look like they're in high school.

I suspect DD will change that, actually.

And Hobgood, in my opinion. That guy has been completely derailed and it began his first offseason in the organization when he went away and came back overweight and out of shape, possibly leading directly to his injuries.

And Hobgood, in my opinion. That guy has been completely derailed and it began his first offseason in the organization when he went away and came back overweight and out of shape, possibly leading directly to his injuries.

Certainly possible. I actually feel like there's been a lot of time and attention since his initial injury put towards getting him in shape, though.

Certainly possible. I actually feel like there's been a lot of time and attention since his initial injury put towards getting him in shape, though.

Ultimately the player has to want it. Look at what the Giants have gone through with Sandoval. There were big neon warning signs surrounding Hobgood when he was picked.

In a nutshell, no. He's had the same deficiencies for many years. This is the same concern with Avery, by the way. I hold out more hope for him because he's played the game a lot less than Reimold.

One of the most predictable plays an outfielder can make is to charge a ball, particularly on the plush major league outfields. Reimold is uncomfortable doing this. He doesn't actively put himself into a position to get the ball on a good hop. So, he has to slow down. This adds time to get to the ball and slows his momentum, thus diminishing his above average arm strength. The same is true with his routes. He's not going to get to as many balls because of bad routes, but he's also not going to get to as many balls in the right fielding position. That means he has to reset himself (which takes time) and it lessens the chance that he can get 100% behind his throws.

In a nutshell, if Reimold made a Cespedes-like video, I bet he'd look impressive. He's fast and has a nice, strong, arm. However, watching him play, better evaluators than me (I was an outfielder) can pick apart his defensive game. Today's defensive stats seem incapable of identifying this stuff with any regularity.

One thing I've noted is that he chases down ground balls (laterally) pretty well. That's something I noted right from the beginning. I have not noticed how he charges/handles balls directly in front of him though. I'll take your word for it. It's actually something I don't think AJ does very well either. I'm also not sure it's nearly as critical for LF than it is for RF/CF. As far as the metrics not picking up things like his poor jumps/reactions, the answer is they really do..... particularly over a large enough sample size. The metrics don't care how he looks and there is some statistical indication (granted sss) that he got better last year. He will miss balls because of poor jumps/routes and he will make/compensate on plays because of his speed. I'm not convinced the end result of that equation can't be positive or neutral/near neutral (particularly if he can improve on the former).

That said, Felix Pie is a prime example of what you're talking about I guess. I'm not convinced Reimold can't get better, but I certainly appreciate what you're saying and your insight/analysis.

He's not really in this thread, but Tony's reports on Reimold's defense have been pretty consistent for many years now. My eyes see what he's talking about.

BTW, though I haven't noticed, I could certainly see Reimold's speed being a + factor when it comes to lateral movement on ground balls. Those reads are easier to make.

He's not really in this thread, but Tony's reports on Reimold's defense have been pretty consistent for many years now. My eyes see what he's talking about.

BTW, though I haven't noticed, I could certainly see Reimold's speed being a + factor when it comes to lateral movement on ground balls. Those reads are easier to make.

I actually recall reading Tony's reports on Reimold and he was impressed that he was spot on.

Ultimately the player has to want it. Look at what the Giants have gone through with Sandoval. There were big neon warning signs surrounding Hobgood when he was picked.

Please tell me what the big neon warning signs were. If you say there were warning signs about his character or work ethic, I disagree. Jordan raved about the guy's character.

Archived