• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But its not that true.

Look at Roch's column...He points out how Guthrie could be moved BUT the Orioles need pitching.

Guthrie is a FA after this season. So, that says we are looking at 2012 and 2012 only. Why? This team blows and we have just fallen even further behind yet another AL team.

When are the Orioles going to get that? Every team in the AL has a better chance at contention in the next few years than they do.

You have 2 options....Go out and sign Fielder and make some trades for good vet talent or sell off guys like JOhnson, Jones and Guthrie and bring in 4-6 good prospects, most of which are ML ready, and go from there.

Honestly the only 3 things i can think of why he hasn't moved any of the major league pieces is A) no one wants them. B) DD is asking for too much for a Guthrie or Andino. Or C) DD is being told by someone in organization he has no autonomy to make those moves.

It means, after 10 years out of baseball, DD doesn't know what a good return for Jones would be, so he'll wait until July.

I made that up, but it's plausible.

Its not plausible.

People on here are saying he is trusting his scouts about these garbage trades he is making...so, he can trust them for major things too.

On top of that, its not very difficult to identify team needs, both ours and other teams.

And waiting until July is only likely to hurt his value, not help it...So, if that is his plan, its a poor one.

Honestly the only 3 things i can think of why he hasn't moved any of the major league pieces is A) no one wants them. B) DD is asking for too much for a Guthrie or Andino. Or C) DD is being told by someone in organization he has no autonomy to make those moves.

Saying no one wants them is a cop out and totally untrue.

I think its pretty obvious that it is #3.

I just wish someone would sit down and ask them the questions I did. Roch, Steve M, Schmuck..whoever. Ask DD how he plans to build around a guy that is gone after 2 years when you have no existing talent or depth?

This line hurts.

That's been a recurring theme here for a long, long time. Even before last year's implosion the sentiment was something like "ok, maybe they're rolling the dice, hoping a little competitive run will inject some revenues so they can go fix some stuff." You could go back to 2005 or 2000 and see the same posts - the O's aren't a self-sustaining organization, and really haven't been since about 1980.

D) He's still shopping around and realizes he doesn't have to take whatever offer(s) he got during the winter meetings.

Duquette's history is someone who trades a lot.

But its not that true.

Look at Roch's column...He points out how Guthrie could be moved BUT the Orioles need pitching.

Guthrie is a FA after this season. So, that says we are looking at 2012 and 2012 only. Why? This team blows and we have just fallen even further behind yet another AL team.

When are the Orioles going to get that? Every team in the AL has a better chance at contention in the next few years than they do.

You have 2 options....Go out and sign Fielder and make some trades for good vet talent or sell off guys like JOhnson, Jones and Guthrie and bring in 4-6 good prospects, most of which are ML ready, and go from there.

This is absolutly 100% correct ! Either decide we have the "core guys " we want to build around or decide this isnt the crew thats gonna put us over the top and start trading for new young talent. Its unfortunate that we have yet to truly decide about the young pitchers in our rotation Im guessing most in the Orioles orginazation believe that they could go either way in terms of living up to there potential. Matuz craping the bed last year made this offseason so much more difficult, I would think if both Matuz and Britton had made clear strides to become TOR starters the direction this team needs to move in would become more clear.

I also think we should have the type of talent evaluators that can properly determine when to hold on to these guys or trade em while there value is high, im bias but I think most organizations seem to better at this than we are and its one of the things holding us back.

D) He's still shopping around and realizes he doesn't have to take whatever offer(s) he got during the winter meetings.

Duquette's history is someone who trades a lot.

Maybe, but I'll take quality over quantity.

Yesterday's deal was the equivalent of school kids trading two rotten bananas for a peanut butter sandwich, while the head of the class bought fillet minion from the cafe.

Doesn't sound like we are in on Fielder.

The Cubs are definitely in the mix for Fielder, tweets Jon Heyman of CBS Sports. He adds that the Mariners and trying and the Blue Jays and Rangers are "among teams showing interest and thinking hard about it." At the Winter Meetings, Rangers president Nolan Ryan told reporters his team is not in on Fielder.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/four-teams-in-on-prince-fielder.html

That is not what that blurb says. The Orioles have clearly shown interest in Fielder, they just aren't mentioned in this tweet. At no point does it claim to be a comprehensive list of the teams interested.

Note: I don't actually believe that the O's are a serious threat to sign Fielder, I just dislike when people make inferences from these kinds of reports.

That is not what that blurb says. The Orioles have clearly shown interest in Fielder, they just aren't mentioned in this tweet. At no point does it claim to be a comprehensive list of the teams interested.

Note: I don't actually believe that the O's are a serious threat to sign Fielder, I just dislike when people make inferences from these kinds of reports.

I like how we all have to add a "P.S. I'm not crazy" whenever we talk about the O's and Fielder.

Archived