Jim Duquette's comments on the orioles this morning.

atomic

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not worthy of a thread, but semi related to this one...I was listening to Mike and Mike on the radio on the way into work yesterday morning and they were talking to someone about their predictions for the season (can't remember who specifically, might have been Kruk).

Anyway, Greenberg was like (paraphrasing) "Obviously the Yankees are going to be good, so are the Sox, but a lot of people love the Jays this year and Tampa is always tough, it's going to be a dogfight in that division, who do you like coming out on top?"

Not even a mention of the Orioles. Not even a snarky comment like "...and obviously Baltimore has no chance," or "And the Orioles are the AL East punching bag."

Nope, not even a mention. If you had no idea about MLB baseball at all and had listened to that segment, you would be under the impression that there are only 4 teams in the American League East.

I think that's how far the've fallen off the national radar. They made a slight blip on game 162 last year, but that's about it.

Just some FYI...I heard Greenberg talking about the AL East yesterday and he mentioned that the Orioles aren't that bad...brought up Buck. They do the same segments over and over again and sometimes they may not mention something one time but do it another.

To be fair.. Mike Greenberg actually has some affinity for the Orioles. Which may be why he chose not to comment. Last year coming into the season after the last 3 months of 2010, there was some baseball analysts speculating the Orioles might be a player in the 2011 season. During a similar interview when some of those thoughts were expressed Greenberg said (paraphrasing)

"Baseball is much better when the Orioles are good."

Actually I heard Greenberg yesterday talking about the AL East and how tough it is and he said "and even the Orioles aren't that bad." Not exactly a compliment, but fair enough.

The comment you quoted from last year was after the Orioles had gotten off to a good start in the first week last year.

It's general comments like this that makes you no friends around here. I'm a firm believer that you can have any opinion you want around here, but your attitude towards others is what will have you reap what you sow.

My comment is that people on here are so in box that they can't even here someone report a member of the press stating opinions of the team. If you can't have anyone talk about someone saying something negative about your team support a team that is one of the best in baseball. Because until the Oriole have a half-decent season they will continue to get a lot of negative press.

How this thread became about me I have no idea. I am just stating facts. You don't like them it isn't my fault.

Actually I heard Greenberg yesterday talking about the AL East and how tough it is and he said "and even the Orioles aren't that bad." Not exactly a compliment, but fair enough.

The comment you quoted from last year was after the Orioles had gotten off to a good start in the first week last year.

Thanks.

My comment is that people on here are so in box that they can't even here someone report a member of the press stating opinions of the team. If you can't have anyone talk about someone saying something negative about your team support a team that is one of the best in baseball. Because until the Oriole have a half-decent season they will continue to get a lot of negative press.

How this thread became about me I have no idea. I am just stating facts. You don't like them it isn't my fault.

The problem is we don't know what exactly JD said, we have to make do with your characterization of it. Your habit of playing fast and loose with "the facts" and indulging in hyperbolic negativety, makes many of us skeptical.

The problem is we don't know what exactly JD said, we have to make do with your characterization of it. Your habit of playing fast and loose with "the facts" and indulging in hyperbolic negativety, makes many of us skeptical.

Two other people have verified my statements. I have never lied about what someone has said. I don't knokw why you would doubt me other than you can't stand to hear anyone say anything bad about the team.

I do not expect the pundits to predict the year that the O's actually are decent. I think it is the nature of the world the talking heads live in. To predict the O's winning in the mid 80 game range just carries way to much risk of making the pundit look stupid. In 2008 most of the so called experts said that the Rays where going to battle the O's for last in the AL east even though they said that the Rays would be improved. However they in no way thought the Rays had any chance of playing with the big dogs in our division. Interestingly when I saw the Rays in person on opening day it was obvious to me that they were a damn good team. I remember telling my Dad, a lifetime MFYs fan, that the Rays where going to flat out be better than his team. Of course he mocked me telling me that the MFYs could beat a team that combined the O's and Rays.

To me, that's actually more insulting because they ARE that bad and he probably doesn't know it. He's probably just remembering that they managed to beat the Red Sox on the last day of the 2011 season and basing his thoughts off of that.

To me, that's actually more insulting because they ARE that bad and he probably doesn't know it. He's probably just remembering that they managed to beat the Red Sox on the last day of the 2011 season and basing his thoughts off of that.

He is actually giving credit to Buck.

Two other people have verified my statements. I have never lied about what someone has said. I don't knokw why you would doubt me other than you can't stand to hear anyone say anything bad about the team.

So, did Duq actually say that Reynolds was barely a ML hitter, or was that your words?

I don't think you are lying, I think you embellish things to support you ragenda.

So, did Duq actually say that Reynolds was barely a ML hitter, or was that your words?

As someone who rarely posts and has still managed to get into it a bit with Atomic, I do have to get his back here.

I heard the interview and the Reynolds part was like this....Steve Davis said something to the effect of "Mark Reynolds isn't really a cleanup hitter....." and then JD chimed in and said "Reynolds is barely a major league hitter". Those were his exact words.

Archived