Matusz Tonight

OFFNY

Pretty good outing after the first inning. To me, people are jumping on Matusz a little too much. I don't think he is nearly as far away from having success in the majors as most of the posters here seem to think.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty good outing after the first inning. To me, people are jumping on Matusz a little too much. I don't think he is nearly as far away from having success in the majors as most of the posters here seem to think.

4 walks and only 2 strikeouts is not encouraging Frobby.

Nice to see him go 110 pitches.

The problem is (like many other Orioles) he just doesn't have "it". No emotion. No "want-to". No killer instinct. No will to win. You could say that even when he was 9-1 in '09. There is such a feeling that the guy is content with his big signing bonus and then he can go chill in San Diego with or without Brady Anderson's name on his glove.

The problem is (like many other Orioles) he just doesn't have "it". No emotion. No "want-to". No killer instinct. No will to win. You could say that even when he was 9-1 in '09. There is such a feeling that the guy is content with his big signing bonus and then he can go chill in San Diego with or without Brady Anderson's name on his glove.

What that Brian has said gives you the impression that he's content with his signing bonus, or that he doesn't have any ambition to make more of his career?

Garbage. The guy spent all winter working out with Brady trying to improve. Just because a guy isn't having great success doesn't give you a license to trash the guy. It's totally unwarranted.

Garbage. The guy spent all winter working out with Brady trying to improve. Just because a guy isn't having great success doesn't give you a license to trash the guy. It's totally unwarranted.

Yea we should give wiredinbmore a ball and tell him he is a lazy piece of garbage if he does not get outs in the majors.

Directing the convo away from the inevitable (imaginary) Matusz moral critique: 6 K's in 16 IP at AAA is worrying to me for a guy who is usually striking out a lot of batters when he's on his game. Hopefully, like Tillman at the beginning of the year, the results are misleading because he's working on things.

Still, I'm glad they made the decision not to bring him back up. I obviously agree, Frobby, that people need to lay off a bit on Matusz but I do think he is still a ways from being what he needs to be to stay at the big league level. Seems to me he needs at least a few more starts at AAA.

I said at the start of the year with Tillman he needed four or five starts before being the next guy up and was wrong. I'm glad I was. A combination of them giving our rotation a long leash, him being the youngest of all available options and making the adjustments that Peterson was making and Griffin was implementing. Matusz may need less time because he's older, but that depends on his learning curve.

I have seen nothing, however, (based on his hard work with BA this past off season) that indicates that lack of effort is a problem for him.

Directing the convo away from the inevitable (imaginary) Matusz moral critique: 6 K's in 16 IP at AAA is worrying to me for a guy who is usually striking out a lot of batters when he's on his game. Hopefully, like Tillman at the beginning of the year, the results are misleading because he's working on things.

Still, I'm glad they made the decision not to bring him back up. I obviously agree, Frobby, that people need to lay off a bit on Matusz but I do think he is still a ways from being what he needs to be to stay at the big league level. Seems to me he needs at least a few more starts at AAA.

I am fine with this point of view. I'm not a fan of yo-yoing player between Baltimore and Norfolk, especially pitchers. Without actually seeing Matusz pitch the last two games, I can't tell whether I should be concerned about the low strikeouts. Matusz got a ton of ground ball outs yesterday so maybe that is one thing he's working on. I'm glad he lasted 7 innings after throwing 52 pitches in the first two innings, and I'm glad he went 9 innings last time. Going deep in games is important.

I'm actually kind of glad he wasn't dominate yesterday. We know he has things to work on and either he is doing just that or the start yesterday highlights them. If he had gone 8, given up one run and then come back up and stunk, then what?

I'm actually kind of glad he wasn't dominate yesterday. We know he has things to work on and either he is doing just that or the start yesterday highlights them. If he had gone 8, given up one run and then come back up and stunk, then what?

I agree with everything you said, except your use of the word dominate instead of dominant.

I've read somewhere on OH that Brian was instructed to throw 30 straight FB's to begin his first start at AAA. No doubts from me that they are working on specific things. He's lost his rythm and should find it before returning to Baltimore. Arrieta has not even pitched in a game, from what I can find (8 days+)

Throwing a no-no so far!

I never post at all when one of our pitchers has a no-hitter after 4 innings (until either the no-hitter is broken up, or the game and the no-hitter is completed.)

I guess you're trying to get me to shut up a little early ??? :laughlol:

Down on the AAA-Farm

BRIAN MATUSZ O(vs. AAA-Syracuse 7/20)

IP:. 6

H:o 9 (3 Doubles, 6 Singles)

R:O 6

BB: 1

SO: 4

Pitches: 101 (63 Strikes, 38 Balls)

2012 ERA: 3.68 [AAA-Norfolk]

Archived