Wei-Yin Chen Tonight

OFFNY

I don't want to keep comparing him to Koji (especially since they are of different countries) but they both did play in the same league prior to this one.

Koji clearly struggled the 3rd time through the lineup as his stuff just got more and more recognizable. It's one of the things that made him such a great bullpen option because you'd probably only see him once or twice in a series.

I can't help but try and track Chen's numbers through the lineup as well just to see if there are any similarities:

I               Split G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR SB CS BB SO SO/BB   BA  OBP  SLG   OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+   1st PA in G as SP 2 18 16 1 3  1  0  1  0  0  1  3  3.00 .188 .278 .438  .715  7   0   1  0  0   0   0  .167    96   2nd PA in G as SP 2 18 18 0 4  0  0  0  0  0  0        6 .222 .222 .222  .444  4   0   0  0  0   0   0  .333    23   3rd PA in G as SP 2 15 12 5 6  1  0  0  0  0  2  1  0.50 .500 .533 .583 1.117  7   0   0  0  1   0   1  .500   209

...it doesn't look good so far.

I have noticed the same trend the question I have is the issue fatigue or stuff or simple small sample size? Can we pull up the pitch info for the third time through the order? Which pitches are being put into play?

I am interested to see if his fastball is losing effectiveness through multiple viewings.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

P.S. Chen might have even gotten out of the 7th inning had the home-plate umpire not been doing the complete opposite of what he was doing for Haren.

He was calling strikes for Haren on pitches that were way outside. In the 7th inning, there were at least 2 or 3 pitches on those final 2 walks that were strikes on the outside corner that he called balls.

P.S. Chen might have even gotten out of the 7th inning had the home-plate umpire not been doing the complete opposite of what he was doing for Haren.

He was calling strikes for Haren on pitches that were way outside. In the 7th inning, there were at least 2 or 3 pitches on those final 2 walks that were strikes on the outside corner that he called balls.

Its sad if a umpire is cheating. I was suprised he didnt get a few more for strikes based on earlier in the game.

Very nice start for Chen. Even the run he allowed was a bit fluky, on a soft fly to RF that fell in front of Markakis.

Markakis got a very late start on that blooper and didn't charge it hard. Could have been caught.

Yep, I think Dan deserves some credit even though it's still early. Ayala looks better than I expected. At the time he seemed like overkill, but not now. O'Day was a great pickup too. Chen looks solid in the rotation. Hammel and Lindstrom have both looked good. He also picked up some nice depth, particularly in guys like Neshek and Pomeranz down in the minors. Hopefully Wada gets healthy and can contribute. Some very nice under the radar moves and on the lower end of the scale.

Totally agree. Everyone you listed is a welcomed member to this pitching staff.

I wonder if DD is naturally better with evaluating pitching talent than positional talent. And I'm not saying he has screwed up in any way on the positional front. Just at this early stage, the pitching additions look much more promising.

WEI-YIN CHEN O (vs. ATHLETICS 4/28)

IP:. 5

H:o 4

R:O 0

BB: 2

SO: 4

Pitches: 83 (49 Strikes, 34 Balls)

2012 ERA: 2.01

He might be pitching the 6th and the 7th.

If he does, I'll update his statistics later. :)

Another good start ...He's going to the 7th.

Tonight was just not a good night to play baseball, and when he started out shaky in the 1st I did not think he would last past the fifth. Shows what I know. He got squeezed a bit in the 1st inning on some pitches painting the corners, but he recovered about as well as you could have asked. Not dominating by any stretch of the imagination, but more than effective.

Archived