Deals will get done if...

bigbird

You may be right...I don't know if this has been posted, but rotoworld posted this news today, from LA Times...Colletti seems really apprehensive about trading kemp
Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said Thursday that he'd "have to have a conversation where my jaw drops" in order to trade Matt Kemp.

"It's got to be something you can't say no to," Colletti said. "I haven't heard anything like that. In fact, teams have stopped asking." Unless the Dodgers plan to bench Juan Pierre, it looks like Kemp and Andre Ethier would be platooning in right field if the season began now. An Ethier trade could also open the door for Kemp to be an everyday player.

Indeed Kemp is so valuable that his jaw has to drop and therefore he will platoon Kemp in favor of the mighty Jaun Pierre in LF? Colletti's baloney is blowing smoke.:D

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It could mean that Angelos and MacPhail have established specific parameters within which Roberts may be traded, such as after Bedard and Tejada are traded or maybe even more specifically to the Cubs, if the package becomes Pie plus a solid pitching prospect or something along those lines.
You're missing the point. If MacPhail is working within set limits, then there should be no concern about Angelos' approval.

You're missing the point. If MacPhail is working within set limits, then there should be no concern about Angelos' approval. However, bigbird's source sees reason for concern.
Every big trade by every team has to be approved by the owner before its completed. So even if MacPhail is within set limits, aftee agreeing to a deal he needs to run it by PA. If PA is sticking to his word, then it should be a rubber stamp. If not, well then not enough has changed.

But do you honestly think that MacPhail would be here if he thought deals he brought to PA, that he already had gotten permission to persue, would be kicked back down to him? If it was someone else as GM I'd be a lot more inclined to believe Angelos was still the same old, but I don't think MacPhail would be here if he thought he was just a pawn living in Angelos' world.

If Angelos does veto a trade, I think you'll see MacPhail resign.

Kershaw is a top 5 prospect. Possibly the best pitching prospect in baseball. We don't have that.

Kershaw was ranked 3rd overall by BA, behind Bruce of CIN and Longoria (sp?) of TB. So yes the O's don't have any pitching prospects anywhere near the caliber of Kershaw.

Looks like we were shooting high: From the Boston Herald, vai rotoworld:

The Orioles wanted Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw and Andy LaRoche from the Dodgers for Erik Bedard, the Boston Herald reports.

Of course, the Dodgers aren't going to give up that much. It's hard to imagine them parting with both Kemp and Kershaw in the same package, though they likely will have to give up one of them if they hope to land Bedard. Whereas ESPN's Jayson Stark thinks the Red Sox and Blue Jays have made the best proposals, the Herald's Tony Massarotti thinks it's the Yankees and Red Sox. Either way, the Orioles plan to get Bedard out of the division if they trade him

Don't mind going down a bit from there, but I think maybe we could snag 2/3

Kershaw was ranked 3rd overall by BA, behind Bruce of CIN and Longoria (sp?) of TB. So yes the O's don't any pitching prospects anywhere near the caliber of Kershaw.
BA hasn't done their rankings yet, but minorleaguebaseball.com has.

Kershaw was #4, behind Bruce of CIN, Longoria from TB, and Cameron Maybin from DET (now FLA).

Kershaw/Kemp, Laroche and Ethier/Meloan would be what I'd look at. We have to get one of Kershaw and Kemp as well as LaRoche, otherwise move on to the Reds or Mariners. Bailey and Votto are a nice return and I'm sure Cinci would add more. I'd feel bad for Erik though, Baker would just look at his arm and it would fall off...

Any of our top pitching prospects have the "potential" to be as good as Kershaw. The closest we have to Kemp in our system is Markekis and I don't think he's going anywhere for a long time. My point was that Kemp is more valuable to our teams needs at this time. Is there any such thing as a sure thing, of course not, but I feel we take the chance with the stud 23 year old outfielder oover the 19 year old AA pitcher. Would I like both, heck ya!

Its interesting seeing how highly ranked some of the players we are being rumored as being offered for Bedard / Tejada are.

From LA:

Kershaw #4, LaRoche #33, Elbert #36,

From Cin:

Bailey #9, Votto #34, Cueto #47

From Sea:

Clement #46, Trunfiel #48

From Ana:

Adenhart #18, Wood #19

Kershaw was #4, behind Bruce of CIN, Longoria from TB, and Cameron Maybin from DET (now FLA).

MiLB's rankings aren't worth jack... that's probably the only list where Maybin will be ranked higher than Kershaw. Buccholz is still a prospect, and that's where the argument is.

http://www.projectprospect.com/end-of-the-year-top-75-fosters/

Bruce #1, Maybin #7, Kershaw is #8; Wood #10; Laroche #19; Wieters #22;

John Sickels has a top 100 on Rotowire (subscription)

Archived