Deals will get done if...

bigbird

The O's want 4-1 for Bedard from the Dodgers.

How about Ethier, Xavier Paul, McDonald & Hu

(No Kemp/Kershaw/LaRoache maybe gets a yes response)

We are building for the future correct ?

Then try to get Wood & (pitcher)

At that point see what Roberts brings.

You boost the Farm system get a few good ML ready talents

I sure it is tougher than that, but hey that is why I am not a GM

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spoke with my guy earlier as well... Read into this as much as you want..But he is close to Hendry and the Cubs, and he thinks that for Hendry to get Roberts is a pipe dream. MacPhail has to convince Angelos big time. But if there is one guy who knows the Cubs farm system, its Macphail. So we shall see.

Also the only way Pie gets dealt is if Fukudome is signed by the Cubs.

That's I was expecting. If the O's are smart and wait it out, hopefully the Cubs can sign Fukudome while the O's are trading Tejada and Bedard. Then Hendry will get ready to offer up Pie right at the time that Roberts is ready to go to Angelos and beg to be let go. Or, someone else could make a better offer while the Cubs are dragging their heels on offering up the real prospects... of course given MacPhail's relationship with the Cubs I guess he might not allow that to happen. Just to make it clear I'm not a fan of Pie but I can at least see that being a reasonable risk to take seeing as how you're not going anywhere with Roberts here anyway.

The O's want 4-1 for Bedard from the Dodgers.

How about Ethier, Xavier Paul, McDonald & Hu

(No Kemp/Kershaw/LaRoache maybe gets a yes response)

We are building for the future correct ?

Then try to get Wood & (pitcher)

At that point see what Roberts brings.

You boost the Farm system get a few good ML ready talents

I sure it is tougher than that, but hey that is why I am not a GM

I like Ethier but I think the haul at least has to start with LaRoche if you're not getting one of the big two.

That's I was expecting. If the O's are smart and wait it out, hopefully the Cubs can sign Fukudome while the O's are trading Tejada and Bedard. Then Hendry will get ready to offer up Pie right at the time that Roberts is ready to go to Angelos and beg to be let go. Or, someone else could make a better offer while the Cubs are dragging their heels on offering up the real prospects... of course given MacPhail's relationship with the Cubs I guess he might not allow that to happen. Just to make it clear I'm not a fan of Pie but I can at least see that being a reasonable risk to take seeing as how you're not going anywhere with Roberts here anyway.

Yes there's a real risk of the Cubs dragging their heels here. :rolleyes:

I like Ethier but I think the haul at least has to start with LaRoche if you're not getting one of the big two.

Am I misunderstanding some of the other post in Dodger trade threads.

I get the impression the Dodgers do not want to part with Kemp/Kershaw and possibly LaRoache.

Are you then saying MacPhail doesn't need Angelos' approval to trade Roberts? There is a trust between the two that MacPhail will make a good deal if needed.

He has already received approval of what needs to be done, there is a lot of trust because of the respect that Angelos has for MacPhail.

Am I misunderstanding some of the other post in Dodger trade threads.

I get the impression the Dodgers do not want to part with Kemp/Kershaw and possibly LaRoache.

You may be right...I don't know if this has been posted, but rotoworld posted this news today, from LA Times...Colletti seems really apprehensive about trading kemp

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said Thursday that he'd "have to have a conversation where my jaw drops" in order to trade Matt Kemp.

"It's got to be something you can't say no to," Colletti said. "I haven't heard anything like that. In fact, teams have stopped asking." Unless the Dodgers plan to bench Juan Pierre, it looks like Kemp and Andre Ethier would be platooning in right field if the season began now. An Ethier trade could also open the door for Kemp to be an everyday player.

I'd be happy with Ethier, Kershaw, and 2 others...if one of those 2 was Laroche...and the other was Hu?

Just think of all the "Hu's on 1st" jokes we could make.

I too would be happy with Ethier, Kershaw and 2 others but who? (Hu? Sorry, couldn't resist). It seems that shortstops are being discussed in other prospective deals - Wood from the Angels and Cedeno (still in play?) from the Cubs, so we may be better off focussing on someone other than Hu from the Dodgers if either of those other deals looks promising. The Dodgers have an abundance of second basemen, so talking about Tony Abreu as one of the last two pieces might be worthwhile, especially if BRob is going to be traded, which I hope is the case. I would be happy with Hu, nonetheless. If we were going to insist on Laroche, then I don't see the Dodgers agreeing to a fourth player in that case, or including Kemp w/o Kershaw for that matter. Personally, I'm not completely sold on LaRoche and I'm not totally revolted by the thought of MelMo at third for the next year or two if our resources can be better spent elsewhere. Ethier, Kershaw and LaRoche for Bedard would certainly be an acceptable deal for me even with my reservations about LaRoche. However I suspect that deal would be considered highway robbery by many Dodger fans.

I keep having to remind myself that it's not about making the most balanced deal, it's about best addressing current needs. C'mon AM, let's push a little harder on that first domino.

Then I assume that bigbird's source shouldn't be concerned whether Angelos will approve a trade of Roberts.
It sounds to me like Angelos has given the reins to MacPhail, however some are still (rightfully) skeptical that he'll continue to stay out of things once it gets to be time to actually pull the trigger.

It sounds to me like Angelos has given the reins to MacPhail, however some are still (rightfully) skeptical that he'll continue to stay out of things once it gets to be time to actually pull the trigger.

His record dictates people being skeptical......If you read into Angelos not having anything to say publicly then you too should realize that AM has the trust and the control.

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said Thursday that he'd "have to have a conversation where my jaw drops" in order to trade Matt Kemp.

"It's got to be something you can't say no to," Colletti said. "I haven't heard anything like that. In fact, teams have stopped asking." Unless the Dodgers plan to bench Juan Pierre, it looks like Kemp and Andre Ethier would be platooning in right field if the season began now. An Ethier trade could also open the door for Kemp to be an everyday player.

What's mostly lost in all of this Kemp talk is that Andre Ethier is a heckuva good ballplayer himself.

Archived