O's sign Nate McLouth

Greg

This is probably more of an indication of how clueless some voters are than it is of McLouth's talent. I was in Pittsburgh during that time and Pirates fans thought this guy was as good as McCutchen is now.

I distinctly remember a friend from Pittsburgh referring to him as "Nate the Great" back in the day.:rofl:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is probably more of an indication of how clueless some voters are than it is of McLouth's talent. I was in Pittsburgh during that time and Pirates fans thought this guy was as good as McCutchen is now.

Easy to say that now. He was a .825+ hitter his first 3 years. His drop off was dramatic and unexpected.

That's still nowhere close to being MVP or McCutchen quality considering how bad he was defensively.

According to dWAR, okay. But he did win a gold glove, so somebody must see him as a decent defender. I am still not convinced the advanced defensive metrics are as useful as the populace.

In any case, I agree he didn't have an MVP season, but it wasn't completely laughable.

No one thought this.

Sorry, I hadn't realized you've talked to every Pirates fan I had and they told you that they were lying to me about what they thought about McCutchen.

I mean c'mon son!

Yes, I understand that they thought that because they were overrating one of their own players. I wasn't saying McLouth was ever even close to being as good as McCutchen.

According to dWAR, okay. But he did win a gold glove, so somebody must see him as a decent defender. I am still not convinced the advanced defensive metrics are as useful as the populace.

In any case, I agree he didn't have an MVP season, but it wasn't completely laughable.

People voted for him for MVP and people voted for him for a Gold Glove. Those people don't know much about baseball. It may have been a fine season, but MVP votes is laughable.

In 2008 when he won the GG the Fan's Scouting Report had him ranked as something like the 25th-best CFer in MLB. Waaaaaaay behind both Felix Pie and Adam Jones.

Archived