O's sign Nate McLouth

Greg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who has seen McLouth play a lot, like every game he played for the Pirates, and owns a McLouth bobblehead (which has no bearing on anything) I can say that it was never about HGH with Nate. What I don't understand is what happened. He was an All Star caliber player and had just about the quickest hands through the zone that I had seen in a long time. That disappeared and I don't know why.

It would be great for the Orioles if he could figure it out again.

As someone who has seen McLouth play a lot, like every game he played for the Pirates, and owns a McLouth bobblehead (which has no bearing on anything) I can say that it was never about HGH with Nate. What I don't understand is what happened. He was an All Star caliber player and had just about the quickest hands through the zone that I had seen in a long time. That disappeared and I don't know why.

It would be great for the Orioles if he could figure it out again.

It appears he has figured it out, at least at AAA. The problem is much like what they are doing to Lew Ford, they are afraid to make any move to call him up long term.

One thing is for sure though, when rosters expand in September, we are going to have some solid guys to bring up in McClouth, Ford and possibly one of the young bucks in Avery or Hoes. If we are still around by then (which currently seems fairly unlikely) it will at least be interesting to see how or if we choose to use these guys!

It appears he has figured it out' date=' at least at AAA. The problem is much like what they are doing to Lew Ford, they are afraid to make any move to call him up long term.

One thing is for sure though, when rosters expand in September, we are going to have some solid guys to bring up in McClouth, Ford and possibly one of the young bucks in Avery or Hoes. If we are still around by then (which currently seems fairly unlikely) it will at least be interesting to see how or if we choose to use these guys![/quote']

Nah, I think DD and Angelos have money on Norfolk winning the AAA Championship...that's why they don't want to bring anyone up that is contributing toward that goal...

One thing is for sure though' date=' when rosters expand in September, we are going to have some solid guys to bring up in McClouth, Ford and possibly one of the young bucks in Avery or Hoes. If we are still around by then (which currently seems fairly unlikely) it will at least be interesting to see how or if we choose to use these guys![/quote']

McLouth, Ford and Hoes are not on the 40-man roster. They can't get called up in September unless someone is kicked off.

And the plot thickens:

From Ken Rosenthal at FoxSports:

? Outfielder Nate McLouth got off to a slow start with the Orioles? Triple-A affiliate, but in his last 10 games he has batted .325 with a 1.188 OPS. The Orioles must promote him by the end of the month, or McLouth can exercise an out in his contract.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/texas-rangers-los-angeles-angels-new-superpowers-no-longer-new-york-yankees-boston-red-sox-071512

And the plot thickens:

? Outfielder Nate McLouth got off to a slow start with the Orioles? Triple-A affiliate, but in his last 10 games he has batted .325 with a 1.188 OPS. The Orioles must promote him by the end of the month, or McLouth can exercise an out in his contract.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/texas-rangers-los-angeles-angels-new-superpowers-no-longer-new-york-yankees-boston-red-sox-071512

I was wondering about that, it seemed likely he would have a clause like this. Right now, I'm inclined to think that I'd rather keep McLouth than Chavez. Both are experienced major leaguers who play pretty good defense, but McLouth is 4 years younger and has much more offensive upside.

And the plot thickens:

What plot ??? We signed him to a minor league contract last month, and he's not even on our 40-man roster. Yes, he's been hot for the last 10 games, but that's at the AAA level. He's batting .248 overall since we acquired him (at AAA.) You make it sound like Dan Duquette is in some sort of mental turmoil over the fact that McLouth might take his services to another team in 2 weeks.

I was wondering about that, it seemed likely he would have a clause like this. Right now, I'm inclined to think that I'd rather keep McLouth than Chavez. Both are experienced major leaguers who play pretty good defense, but McLouth is 4 years younger and has much more offensive upside.

Do you know if McLouth would be under team control next year if we promote him?

What plot ??? We signed him to a minor league contract last month, and he's not even on our 40-man roster. Yes, he's been hot for the last 10 games, but that's at the AAA level. He's batting .248 overall since we acquired him (at AAA.) You make it sound like Dan Duquette is in some sort of mental turmoil over the fact that McLouth might take his services to another team in 2 weeks.

I think you are reading too much into the comment.

I suspect it's a vision problem. Since the Braves fitted him with new contacts in the 09-10 offseason -- which he claimed improved his eyesight to 20/15 -- he's hit .203/.312/.313.

Hmm. Maybe for some guys it's better just to guess where the ball is going to be? :scratchchinhmm:

Archived