Vin Scully Interview

Ampontan

Here is the transcript of a long interview with Vin Scully on the Hugh Hewitt show on July 4. Many excellent stories about baseball and broadcasting both.

No mention of the 66 Series, though!

People talk about announcers they like...a few years ago I was semi-watching a Dodgers game while doing exercises in the room next door (could see the TV). Scully was broadcasting. After a couple of innings, it dawned on me that he was working alone, with no color man.

How many other broadcasters would be capable of that, day in and day out?

Just recalled that during the 66 Series (and in that era, for a while) parts of each nationally telecast Series game would be called by the local announcers for each team. That meant that in addition to the national network broadcasters (forget who they were), viewers were also treated to Vin Scully and Chuck Thompson calling the same game (though not at the same time).

I do not think it is possible to get any better than that.

Just recalled that during the 66 Series (and in that era, for a while) parts of each nationally telecast Series game would be called by the local announcers for each team. That meant that in addition to the national network broadcasters (forget who they were), viewers were also treated to Vin Scully and Chuck Thompson calling the same game (though not at the same time).

I do not think it is possible to get any better than that.

Nor do I. IMO Vin Scully is the best there's ever been - and for longer than I've been alive. Most of the OH as well. Thanks for posting this.

I heard this interview. He his the best. I love listening to Palmer, but living in LA I'm spoiled listening to Vinny. Thhhhhhhhe only guy who's good enough to do the game by himself.

The interview was enlightening, Hewitt does a great job of asking questions and letting Vin tell the stories.

Archived