Pirates and Orioles "among the teams pushing hardest for Headley"

MrOrange82

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's your thought of potentially including Reimold in a deal? Teams like the potential there, health has held him back big time though. Do you think the Padres would be interested? Would we be giving up too much?

Isn't it really difficult to trade someone that is currently injured? I think Hoes or Avery make more sense for them anyway with the large outfield at Petco and the fact that they aren't power guys whose numbers would be hurt. San Diego's best bet is to build around fast toolsy players that can get the extra base and chase down balls in the gap rather than guys whose value derives from their ability to hit the ball out of the park.

The Orioles are like Mr. Ed vs. Secretariat, Man o' War and Seabiscuit... and trading for Headley would be like feeding Mr. Ed some 5 Hour Energy beforehand.

Now, Headley would be under control for 3 more years I believe, and is a definite upgrade. I like him, but let's not pretend like he's going to be some savior who's going to catapult us into the postseason in 2012.

He won't, he's one piece of about 3 that we would need. We probably don't have the assets to make ourselves competitors this year (anymore then we already are), but it's not like he's going to hurt our chances in 2013 either. I'm not giving up Schoop for a 2 month rental, but I'd give him up for a multi-year lease. Who knows, you might even be able to extend Headley...

If you actually looked at his park-by-park splits, you'd notice that he's not a consistent ".815"-guy everywhere that he plays that isn't Petco. In parks at which he's recorded at least 40 AB's, his OPS ranges from .611 at the low end (ATL) to 1.002 at the high end (PIT). He's hit well (extremely, extremely small sample) in a few AL ballparks, but he's only played in seven such parks. All 14 AB's or fewer.

Acting as though he's close to a sure thing because he's averaged, generally speaking, a higher OPS on the road paints a very incomplete picture.

No one is consistent through every ball park. I'm pretty sure you can do that do just about every better and you will get similar stats from one ballpark to another. Away splits are pretty good at determining how a guy would most likely perform away from his ball park, but like any stats, they are not full proof. His lack of experience in hitting AL pitchers has to be taken into consideration as well. We've had some "bad luck" with players coming over the National League and into the AL East over the years. Doesn't mean Headley can't do well here, but it should be considered.

Isn't it really difficult to trade someone that is currently injured? I think Hoes or Avery make more sense for them anyway with the large outfield at Petco and the fact that they aren't power guys whose numbers would be hurt. San Diego's best bet is to build around fast toolsy players that can get the extra base and chase down balls in the gap rather than guys whose value derives from their ability to hit the ball out of the park.

Yes I agree that he is not exactly a top commodity right now. However hypothetical situation being would you rather deal an Avery/Hoes and Reimold to get Headley? Or would you prefer just to deal Schoop in that situation?

It's an interesting situation in my book. I LOVE Reimold as a player, but he's just so injury prone along with a few other things

It's a hard decision for me, but I think I would part with Schoop. I mean we are getting assured talent here, while with Schoop, who knows.

What's Schoop's ceiling and is it that much higher than what Headley would give us now?

Schoop could be a perrenial All-Star second baseman or third baseman. Could also be a 25-30 HR guy and hit for a good average. The sky really is the limit for him. I really hope DD doesn't trade him. I was on the fence at first, but this power surge that Schoop has come into is really boosting his status.

Schoop could be a perrenial All-Star second baseman or third baseman. Could also be a 25-30 HR guy and hit for a good average. The sky really is the limit for him. I really hope DD doesn't trade him. I was on the fence at first, but this power surge that Schoop has come into is really boosting his status.

...and his trade value. I wouldn't change my mind based on a couple good weeks.

I think we could get him w/o Schoop if we hold out until the deadline. We could offer Avery, one of Matusz/Arrieta and our draft pick. That would probably be too rich for him, IMO. I'd rather substitute Clayton Schrader for the draft pick.

I'm seriously against giving up Schoop. I know you need to trade talent to get talent, but Schoop should be off-limits for anything less than a real stud return (e.g., Grienke, maybe Upton). Headley would be a strong solution at a position of need, but Schoop already holds that title for 2B, IMO.

If the type of deal I outlined above doesn't get it done, I personally move on.

I agree 100%.

I'd offer Matusz, Avery, Strop for Clayton Richard and Headley.

Headley, Hardy, Schoop, and FA 1B acquisition is not out of the question next year to be our infield.

Also, regarding how SD views their hitters and make acquisitions accordingly. Isn't the whole outrageousness with Petco Park is the fact that it suppresses HR's so much and that its not cavernous at all, thus no XBH's happen there either? Basically no tool or skill could be utilized well for Petco. EVERY hitter performs poorly there. I think SD just goes for the guy with the highest talent level (and maybe how they would fare in other NL West parks)

...and his trade value. I wouldn't change my mind based on a couple good weeks.

But scouts have been saying the power would come, and it is. I think the power he is showing will be more the trend, then a hot streak.

Schoop may end up with 20 HR's as a 21 yr. old in Double-A. Something to think about.

I'm with you. To do what he's doing lately at 20 years old in AA is pretty impressive. Markakis was a fast riser through the system and he was at Low A Delmarva at age 20. I think there is evidence enough to expect he will fill a key role with the Orioles in the future, but that's just his floor. His ceiling is significant. And we don't produce these kinds of offensive prospects very often. While I'd love to get Headley, he's not the kind of impact player that you trade a prospect like Schoop for.

Archived