Amidst all the pennant race joy, I do feel bad for Brian Roberts

glenn__davis

I know that Brian's concussion injury was self-inclicted and frankly just a dumb thing to do.

And I know that he's making a cool $10 million this year to play in 2 weeks of games and spend time with his model wife.

But no single player suffered the agony of defeat more than Roberts in his tenure, and it's truly a shame to me that he doesn't get to be a direct part of this now. I'm not sure what the record is for a player staying with one team for the most consecutive losing seasons, but I have think Roberts is up there.

Add in the plethora of agonizing losses to NY and Boston, seeing your ballpark overrun with their fans, never playing a single meaningful game in August or September, and from an on-the-field standpoint, it had to have been a pretty miserable run.

Just a bummer to put in that much time and effort and not be able to finally enjoy the fruits of the labor.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not much of a consolation, but if the Orioles do win it all, wouldn't Brian get a ring, since he was part of the active roster for part of the season?

Yeah, but what sense of accomplishment would Brian have? He's been a hell of an Oriole, but he hasn't made much of a contribution to this season. I'm sure he'd be happy, but not the same as if he played 150 games.

Not much of a consolation, but if the Orioles do win it all, wouldn't Brian get a ring, since he was part of the active roster for part of the season?

If this is true about everyone getting a ring (and I'm pretty sure it is), they might have to produce a record # of rings if they win it!!! 50+ just for players!

If this is true about everyone getting a ring (and I'm pretty sure it is), they might have to produce a record # of rings if they win it!!! 50+ just for players!

I don't know about rings, but it used to be a big deal in the past when the team would vote on Championship Shares. You get $X for winning the league or the World Series, and the teams would (and I guess still do) vote on who got a share. Sometimes bit players, or guys who got traded wouldn't get a share (or just a partial share), especially if they were jerks. In 1932 Rogers Hornsby was denied a WS share by the Cubs after being fired as manager in early August.

I have a feeling this team would vote at least a partial share to all 50+ players who appeared in a game.

This is a bit premature but....

If we have the first home playoff game in 15 years, Roberts would be who I want throwing out the first pitch. All of the o's legend experienced success, he hasn't. It would be a mini tribute to the guys like all of us who stuck around thru the bad times. The people where this season means more than you can put in to words.

Plus he deserves the ovation.

Imagine what a healthy Brian Roberts could have done for this team. I think its safe to assume he could have played a major role in getting 2-3 more wins and with the division being this painfully close it could have made a world of difference. Of course, you never know. His production could have fallen off a cliff and be worse than what we've had at second base this season but I somehow doubt that.

I don't know. Maybe I'm cold-hearted, but I don't have any sympathy for him really because of the first two reasons you gave. He's not some self-sacrificing guy who's going to give up this year's or next year's money because he's not there, money the team really needs to use somewhere. He's making business decisions and good for him.

I don't know about rings, but it used to be a big deal in the past when the team would vote on Championship Shares. You get $X for winning the league or the World Series, and the teams would (and I guess still do) vote on who got a share. Sometimes bit players, or guys who got traded wouldn't get a share (or just a partial share), especially if they were jerks. In 1932 Rogers Hornsby was denied a WS share by the Cubs after being fired as manager in early August.

I have a feeling this team would vote at least a partial share to all 50+ players who appeared in a game.

This is still true. I read a story earlier in the week about the Athletics having a meeting to decide on player shares if they made the playoffs.

This is a bit premature but....

If we have the first home playoff game in 15 years, Roberts would be who I want throwing out the first pitch. All of the o's legend experienced success, he hasn't. It would be a mini tribute to the guys like all of us who stuck around thru the bad times. The people where this season means more than you can put in to words.

Plus he deserves the ovation.

Cool idea.

As to the other guy, yes you are cold hearted.

Archived