They did it! They did it! The Baltimore Orioles are in the playoffs

tinamodotti

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great. I'm glad I spent the last two days in Baltimore soaking it in. There's a definite vibe in town - lines at the souvenier stands, people seeing your Os hat and saying they hope so-and-so loses so we get in. So cool. That city and we fans have been starving for a reason to be proud of this team. And boy, are we!

Not going to get too excited yet. I knew we would at least make the playoffs.

I will celebrate when we clinch the division or at least the first WC spot. We MUST have a home playoff game at OPACY. Otherwise I will be devastated.

Not going to get too excited yet. I knew we would at least make the playoffs.

I will celebrate when we clinch the division or at least the first WC spot. We MUST have a home playoff game at OPACY. Otherwise I will be devastated.

There's a shocker.

The table shows the Rays with a 1% chance of making the playoffs?? I mean I wish they were eliminated but they have more than a 1% chance of sweeping the Os while the A's lost 3 straight I would think.

That's actually correct. The Rays have a Win % of 0.553 on the year. That means the probability of them winning their next three games is (0.553)*(0.553)*(0.553), or 0.169. The A's have a Win % of 0.572 which means the probability of them losing is 0.428. That means the probability of them losing their next three is (0.428)*(0.428)*(0.428), or 0.078. The probability of both events happening is equal to 0.078*0.169, which is 0.013, or about 1%.

I don't know why I did that, I guess because I just finished my Stats homework.

On topic: What a season, I was about to enter Elementary school the last time the O's were in the playoffs. Now, I'm a Junior in college.

Archived