They did it! They did it! The Baltimore Orioles are in the playoffs

tinamodotti

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After all of my anger, resentment, and frustration that I've had with those team, this is so rewarding because I still stuck by them. I haven't always been the best fan but the Orioles haven't always been good to us. I think tonight's a good night to put all of that behind us.

Welcome back to greatness, Orioles.

What a long, strange, wonderful trip it's been!

Absolutely amazing, considering all the injuries, all the different starting pitchers we've had to

use, all the different players on the roster even. What a great day to be an Oriole fan!! Go O's!!!

I still can't believe it. The Baltimore Orioles. Playoffs. I haven't associated those two terms with each other for 15 years. I'm so accustomed to just seeing the O's finish off the regular season and then pack their bags and head home, while the great teams get to keep playing.

This year, the Orioles ARE the great team.

I couldn't resist listening to the "Why Not?" theme before going to bed, and damn it, the tears finally came out. The first verse sums it up perfectly: "Can you believe at where we are today?" In fact, no, I still can't, because it's so amazing. This is the fulfillment of the improbable drive that 1989 almost was. And, as the song says, "Come on O's we can win thing."

This team has reminded me of why while I enjoy football and basketball that baseball was the sport I fell in love with as a kid. The sport of my childhood idol, Cal Ripken, and the same idol I got to meet. Gosh this is such an amazing feeling. When I was 10 and we were last in, I admit looking back that I probably took it for granted. After all, I was only 10 and two consecutive playoff years was a good chunk of my life. The past fifteen years have sucked but I think they are why tonight's so special. When you're a fan of a team like the Yankees. Making the playoffs isn't special. Hell making the World Series isn't even special. I of course would love if we became perennial contenders and hope we do. Cheers to everyone here. We've waited long and hard but our wait is no long.

Thank you Buck, for doing what you do so well.

Thank you Dan, for putting winning first.

Thank you Adam, for leading the clubhouse.

Thank you Matt, for leading the pitching staff.

Thank you JJ, for resigning with a losing team when you didn't have to.

Thank you other JJ, for learning what it takes to close.

Thank you Wei-Yin, for choosing Baltimore.

Thank you Jason, for not wanting to give in.

Thank you Nick, for not wanting to give up.

Thank you Nate, for picking up Nick when he isn't there.

Thank you Chris, for playing and batting wherever you're told.

Thank you other Chris, for working hard on your reform.

Thank you Mark, for embracing first base.

Thank you Manny, for rolling with the team.

Thank you Wilson, for being cool with decreased time.

Thank you Brian, for accepting a relief role with no fuss.

Thank you Tommy, for the same reason.

Thank you Hall of Famers, for making the statue ceremonies worthwhile.

Thanks Roy, for your speech. :D

...and thank you to everyone else in the organization who helped contribute to a memorable Oriole season. I need to confess now. I watched the 1997 playoffs from the community TV at my freshman college dorm; my first team was the "Why Not?" Orioles of '89. I had given up on the team after last season. After the Cavalry imploded, especially Matusz whose velocity dropped for no apparent reason. I could no longer come up with a logical answer as to how the team could turn it around, and I was flat-out depressed about it. I had to let go because being a fan was hurting my life. I sold most of my Oriole merchandise... but I did keep my Oriole shot glass, and about a half hour ago I toasted my father with that shot glass. But, hopefully or not, I won't ever be a die-hard fan again. I don't think I'm worthy to wear Oriole gear anymore but I'll patron the Oriole Hangout, if you'll have me.

Beautiful. Magical. I'll be more emotional tomorrow. That Rangers game took a lot out of me. :) Wife was sick, but even she was singing Orioles Magic! Picked the right woman. :)

Took off work on Thursday and Friday. But hope I don't need to....as we should have the division!!

GO O'S!!!

I cracked a mini-bottle of champagne to celebrate. Just an incredible season. I passionately follow a team in each of the NBA, NFL, NCAAB, NCAAF, and MLB and this Orioles season is easily the most unexpected, incredible run by any team I root for in 30 years across 5 sports. Just an amazing time to be an Orioles fan. Let's go get the AL East and then start winning playoff series!

About a month ago, I decided to take my dad to the last home game of the season. Today, from 1:35 until the game's end, he and I sat about 10 feet away from Bobby Valentine's perch in the Red Sox dugout. Today, from 1:35 until the game's end, I alternated between refrains of "bye-bye, Bobby" and "they're just lucky, right?"

After Johnson recorded save number 50, we stayed to watch the TEX/LAA game on the big screen...and, even though the Angels won the opener in dramatic fashion, the ovation given to the Orioles, and the Orioles' presence on the field, was simply mind-blowing.

Tonight, at about 8:30 p.m., and despite the fact that I don't turn 30 for another six days, I feel asleep in my chair after a long, loud, delirious day. I woke up a few minutes ago to find that the Orioles, the team I'd predicted would lose 90+ games before the season started, the team that's been bad since I was in high school, since I hurt my shoulder and realized my own baseball career would be short-lived, since I went to prom, since I went to and graduated from college, since I left or was fired from multiple (terrible) jobs, since the girl I thought I was going to marry dumped me, since I picked myself up and went to law school, since...almost as long as I can remember...had made the playoffs.

And here I am, late to the party...but nonetheless overjoyed. O-mazing, indeed. I love October.

Archived