Am I The Only One Sick of the "Seven Nation Army" song or whatever it is at sports games?

Orange_Crush

Honestly not trolling, but this to me simply represents a lack of broader perspective. I've heard 100,000 seat stadiums do the 7 Nation Army chant with a much louder and more intense atmosphere. I've also seen the same cheer used for several years at most major European soccer games.

Don't dislike the cheer, but it does remind me of college students at a Big Ten game. I know most O's fans at this point have connection to the Ravens, but I was at the game tonight with 16 Washingtonians that have been Os fans their entire lives and there is certainly disconnect with that cheer. For the record, all 16 of us are Redskin/Os fans.

I am coming from a broader perspective. I know what atmospheres are like at European soccer games. I've been to 3 EPL games in England (Chelsea twice and Man U once), a French Division 1 game (PSG), a World Cup semi final (2006 Portugal / France), and several friendlies here in the U.S. I know what those atmospheres are like, and while I haven't specifically heard Seven Nation Army at any of those games, I know what full throat singing/chanting sounds like. When Seven Nation Army happens at Ravens games in important moments, it's as loud and intense as any singing you hear in Europe.

It's fun. It makes the stadium loud. It's a great song. And it's now a Baltimore thing much more than other places. I guess it doesn't matter what people on here think though, because I never hear anyone at the game complaining about it - they are too busy chanting.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, that's just funny. I mean, you're going good until you totally mess with your own point at the end.

Meh, i thought it was originally theirs. But apparently it was started spontaniously by the FSU seminoles. But my point still stands for the most part. It wasnt ripped off a hit song, nor is it done by everyone else. Its still fairly original, i guess i should have just said the FSU seminoles have a good one. Either way its 10x better than the 7 nation army. No need to be a sour puss

I am coming from a broader perspective. I know what atmospheres are like at European soccer games. I've been to 3 EPL games in England (Chelsea twice and Man U once), a French Division 1 game (PSG), a World Cup semi final (2006 Portugal / France), and several friendlies here in the U.S. I know what those atmospheres are like, and while I haven't specifically heard Seven Nation Army at any of those games, I know what full throat singing/chanting sounds like. When Seven Nation Army happens at Ravens games in important moments, it's as loud and intense as any singing you hear in Europe.

It's fun. It makes the stadium loud. It's a great song. And it's now a Baltimore thing much more than other places. I guess it doesn't matter what people on here think though, because I never hear anyone at the game complaining about it - they are too busy chanting.

It's also uniting the fans with a single purpose that also keeps them in the game. Remember how often we used to lament the cheese and wine crowd, too busy on their cellphones to actually pay attention to the game?

Meh, i thought it was originally theirs. But apparently it was started spontaniously by the FSU seminoles. But my point still stands for the most part. It wasnt ripped off a hit song, nor is it done by everyone else. Its still fairly original, i guess i should have just said the FSU seminoles have a good one. Either way its 10x better than the 7 nation army. No need to be a sour puss

I wasn't being a sour puss, in fact, it really did make me laugh.

And your 10x better comment is completely subjective. I HATE the Tomahawk Chop. I find it 10x worse, and kinda offensive, though I'm nowhere near PC police enough to say "oh noes, it shouldn't be done." My point being is that everyone is going to fall down differently on the scale on which is better.

I also find it funny that you complain about originality, but you went back and edited your original post to include wanting something like Eye of the Tiger sung...nothing original there.

Even if you don't like it, you got to appreciate the fact that it's the first "general" spirit chant to actually gain traction around here without needing stupid prompts. Not only that, but it's sustainable. Not only should they not do something like Daaaaaaaaay-O because that's NY's, but what's the point? It's shorter than charge, completely random, and totally dependent on the PA prompt. Let's Go O's could work (though not really a "general" chant), but seldom does it start on its own, even now, without the prompts, and it can never seem to sustain itself for very long.

Even if you don't like it, you got to appreciate the fact that it's the first "general" spirit chant to actually gain traction around here without needing stupid prompts. Not only that, but it's sustainable. Not only should they not do something like Daaaaaaaaay-O because that's NY's, but what's the point? It's shorter than charge, completely random, and totally dependent on the PA prompt. Let's Go O's could work (though not really a "general" chant), but seldom does it start on its own, even now, without the prompts, and it can never seem to sustain itself for very long.

I never understand the "if you're happy and ya know it clap your hands" and then the crowd claps along like trained monkeys. What is this, Saturday night at the roller rink in the 80's?

It's also uniting the fans with a single purpose that also keeps them in the game. Remember how often we used to lament the cheese and wine crowd, too busy on their cellphones to actually pay attention to the game?

I think part of the problem though is that certain things (*cough*the wave*cough*) feel like many people come to the stadium to be part of the excitement rather than to root the team on. The last regular O's vs Yankees game, there were a few people around me decked in O's gear, and they were standing up cheering when anyone scored, hit a home run, etc. It didn't matter if it was the Orioles or the Yankees. They cheered for both.

It is perfect and anybody who says different needs to reevaluate it. It gets the crowd amped up and loud and performing in unison. Highly appropriate and good for the home team. It is a universally accepted chant to get the crowd into the event all over the world for a reason.

Time to bring back Chumbawamba's Tubthumping. They played a quick snipit of it last night. Brings back memories of Camden Yards in the late 1990s.

In fairness, no song holds a candle to the awesome that is Tubthumping. It may be the world's most perfect song. Ever.

In fairness, no song holds a candle to the awesome that is Tubthumping. It may be the world's most perfect song. Ever.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2H5uWRjFsGc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I get up again.

I like it and think it adds some energy. And ANYTHING is better than the ridiculous wave. Anytime I hear the crowd start to cheer over a wave and there's an important part of the game happening a little piece of me dies! You see people watching the wave and cheering it on instead of watching the game. I kind of get it if the game if boring or there's nothing going on, but I've seen some diiot get it started in a tie game in the 8th inning and I'm like, "WTF, really?"

I much rather listen to everyone chant the same thing to get the tam pumped up then some stupid wave.

I HATE the wave with a purple passion. To the credit of the O's fans, there is no wave in the post season. People are into the game which is the opposite of those doing the wave.

Archived