Am I The Only One Sick of the "Seven Nation Army" song or whatever it is at sports games?

Orange_Crush

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's awesome. I will always remind me of last season's opening day destruction of the steelers. That was the day after I got married and that's where my wife wanted to be before we went on our honeymoon. What an amazing day. I don't care who started it, we do it best. It was a good song and still is a good song. Jack White is a pretty talented individual. I like how it's one of those things that tie the two Baltimore sports teams together. So, yea I like it.

I love how some people say, "I tolerate it" Really? You sound like a horribly mean 1950s middle school teacher. Do you realize just how impotent you are in the situation? Do you understand just how little your tolerance matters? I guess I'm just being emotional about it and not objective and for that I am sorry but to me, your tolerance implies that if you suddenly stopped being so tolerant, you would act on it and it would cease to exist. That us fans that like having something to get pumped about while we are socially lubricated at a ballgame, would sit down and start sipping tea and gold clapping because, your tolerance has come to an end.

Meh, sorry for the little rant there, I guess if you don't like it, you don't like it. I just happen to be on the other side of the question and I love it.

The chant is pretty cool because it fits the "O's". I haven't heard it at any other sporting event, but I definitely wouldn't like it as much if it wasn't befitting of the team name.

The chants that bother me are the ever-classy "You suck" or "B.S." chants. Now those are things that make fans look like inbred morons.

I agree that the SNA is a good chant for the O's and it was really rocking the joint last night. I personally also like the Or-re-O chant from the Wizard of Oz(I think) but with exception of one or two times it never really took off last night.

I may be showing my age but I also agree the "you suck" and "bs" chants are kind of low class and not something I like to hear a 7 year old chanting.

Seven Nation Army is an excellent minimalist garage rock song and it feels ludicrously out of place at sporting events. it's an awful misappropriation of a fantastic aesthetic, and it makes me cringe every time I hear it. there are entire genres of music that is meant to be played and chanted by crowds of people. there are some styles of music that are meant to be observed and reflected on, and some that are meant to be participated in, and just as I wouldn't choose Zombie Nation for quiet individual reflection, so Seven Nation Army is out of place being chanted by tens of thousands of sports fans.

don't know if that qualifies as being "sick of it" though.

Seven Nation Army is an excellent minimalist garage rock song and it feels ludicrously out of place at sporting events. it's an awful misappropriation of a fantastic aesthetic, and it makes me cringe every time I hear it. there are entire genres of music that is meant to be played and chanted by crowds of people. there are some styles of music that are meant to be observed and reflected on, and some that are meant to be participated in, and just as I wouldn't choose Zombie Nation for quiet individual reflection, so Seven Nation Army is out of place being chanted by tens of thousands of sports fans.

That's fair. Part of the reason I like it is the contrast to "Hey! You Suck!" and "Yan-kees suck!" At least Seven Nation Army is somewhat clever since the chant isn't force-fed in the song itself (like it would be if, for some strange reason, people did the "O" chant from Viva la Vida).

Oh come on. I love the White Stripes, love the garage rock aesthetic, etc. I think you are making a little too much out of this song. After all, Jack White himself seems to be on board:

In response to the song's popularity in Italy, Jack White said:

I am honored that the Italians have adopted this song as their own... Nothing is more beautiful than when people embrace a melody and allow it to enter the pantheon of folk music. As a songwriter it is something impossible to plan. Especially in modern times. I love that most people who are chanting it have no idea where it came from. That's folk music.

I was proud last night. Some dopes in the section next to me were trying to get fans to start the wave, but fortunately, nobody cooperated. Because it's a PLAYOFF GAME, and there's no time for that nonsense. Sit down and watch the game, dopey wave-starter.

Well said sir!!

It is definitely overdone across sports, but being the chant is "O" it just fits. And I agree that it is infinite times better than the wave (hey the 80's called, they want their fad back). That being said, if the O's advance and play the Tigers there is a much better chance Jack White plays at Comerica since he is from Detroit.

Archived