Am I The Only One Sick of the "Seven Nation Army" song or whatever it is at sports games?

Orange_Crush

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh come on. I love the White Stripes, love the garage rock aesthetic, etc. I think you are making a little too much out of this song. After all, Jack White himself seems to be on board:

yeah as I was writing that I was thinking "man, Jack White probably doesn't care about this at all, he'd probably say the opposite of what I'm saying and sound fairly smart saying it too" because Jack White doesn't care about "artistic integrity" like, at all and does kind of the opposite of what most "serious artists" do. I don't think that invalidates my position at all though. like, I'd feel the same way if people turned the opening to Straight to Hell into a stadium chant. that's a more extreme example but it's the same basic principle to me. it's not even that it's taking it out of context, a lot of the time that's okay, it's more the complete reversal in aesthetic that bothers me when it's a song that draws a lot of its power from the original aesthetic.

No, it's awesome. And Baltimore fans do it longer and louder than anywhere (and also sometimes without prompting). It's also a really good song by a great band. What's not to like? It was really cool when TBS cut to Camden live and the whole stadium was doing it full throat. I am pretty much for any fan involvement as long as it is not the wave.

It's Baltimore's "thing" much moreso than other places. Yes - I know they do it other places, but not at all with the same intensity.

I feel like there can be such a disconnect with the people on this board and local Baltimore fans...

My sentiments exactly. What I am "sick of" is downer fans like the OP.

On the fence. Like the song, loved doing it last year when it was more organic. Kinda sick of it now, and it felt like it was starting to wear itself out at the first couple of home Ravens games (to me).

That said, when it started organically tonight at the Yard, it was awesome.

My sentiments exactly. What I am "sick of" is downer fans like the OP.

Yeah, i'm a downer because i'm not a fan of a song played at all these sporting events now. I'm just sitting here saying the team has no chance and they don't deserve to be here.

You're overreacting. Just because I hate the song doesn't make me a downer.

No, it's awesome. And Baltimore fans do it longer and louder than anywhere (and also sometimes without prompting). It's also a really good song by a great band. What's not to like? It was really cool when TBS cut to Camden live and the whole stadium was doing it full throat. I am pretty much for any fan involvement as long as it is not the wave.

It's Baltimore's "thing" much moreso than other places. Yes - I know they do it other places, but not at all with the same intensity.

I feel like there can be such a disconnect with the people on this board and local Baltimore fans...

Honestly not trolling, but this to me simply represents a lack of broader perspective. I've heard 100,000 seat stadiums do the 7 Nation Army chant with a much louder and more intense atmosphere. I've also seen the same cheer used for several years at most major European soccer games.

Don't dislike the cheer, but it does remind me of college students at a Big Ten game. I know most O's fans at this point have connection to the Ravens, but I was at the game tonight with 16 Washingtonians that have been Os fans their entire lives and there is certainly disconnect with that cheer. For the record, all 16 of us are Redskin/Os fans.

Honestly not trolling, but this to me simply represents a lack of broader perspective. I've heard 100,000 seat stadiums do the 7 Nation Army chant with a much louder and more intense atmosphere. I've also seen the same cheer used for several years at most major European soccer games.

Don't dislike the cheer, but it does remind me of college students at a Big Ten game. I know most O's fans at this point have connection to the Ravens, but I was at the game tonight with 16 Washingtonians that have been Os fans their entire lives and there is certainly disconnect with that cheer. For the record, all 16 of us are Redskin/Os fans.

Me too, I know the SEC kids aren't doing this.

It's embarrassing. Makes us look like a bunch of toolboxes.

This.

Its cheesy as hell. Its not unique nor original to anyone but jack white. If you are going to do a cheer at a sporting event it needs to be unique to your team. The Braves have a good one.

If we are just gonna sing a song as a chant then it needs to be survivors eye of the tiger and the lyrics need to br singned

It is great. Makes sense for the Orioles because has the "O" in it. Has a haunting sound. Brings energy to the fans. Does not distract from the game like the wave does because people are still watching the game while it is done. You need things beside " Charge!" and "Let's Go O's".

This.

Its cheesy as hell. Its not unique nor original to anyone but jack white. If you are going to do a cheer at a sporting event it needs to be unique to your team. The Braves have a good one.

Oh, that's just funny. I mean, you're going good until you totally mess with your own point at the end.

Archived