2012 GTP: Mark Reynolds

Tony-OH

Grade Reynolds  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Reynolds

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And your blaming that on Reynolds? Seriously? Because he couldn't play third but playe the position that they moved him to masterfully?

If Buck for some reason moved Hardy off of short next year, and Manny made 20 errors, would you be mad at Hardy for Manny's errors?

I know that's a different situation, completely different, but to be mad at Mark for someone elses mistakes while he was excelling at a different position is an odd reason to give someone a bad grade.

Why do you think I mad at him?

His inability to field at third caused Buck to use players that were ill suited at third. Frankly the O's got lucky that Machado was able to play as well as he did at his young age.

His inability to field at third caused Buck to use players that were ill suited at third. Frankly the O's got lucky that Machado was able to play as well as he did at his young age.

Buck and DD knew that Reynolds wasn't great defensively at 3B. I blame them for not having an acceptable back up plan.

Agreed. Buck spoke out in favor of him and defended him all offseason, and Reynolds couldn't hack it. If you won't penalize him for Betemit's ineptitude, then don't reward him for Machado's excellence. We don't make the playoffs without Manny, and I doubt the movement to bring Reynolds back would be nearly as strong.

For a while, I thought DD's biggest mistake of the winter was not bringing in a viable replacement for Reynolds, but it ended up working out great in the end.

Buck and DD knew that Reynolds wasn't great defensively at 3B. I blame them for not having an acceptable back up plan.

Aside from the part where Reynolds basically convinced Buck that he could get it done at third. Reynold's has had a successful season defensively at third. I can't fault Buck overly for believing in his players when they have had some success in the past and were lobbying for a chance to redeem themselves.

I gave Reynolds a C.

Had his power numbers been slightly in line with his career averages to the tune of a .160 ISO and 30+ home runs along with the very good defense he provided at first, then he would have been an 'A' player in my book. A plus defender with an 800+ OPS and 30+ home runs deserves that grade. The power wasn't there as he turned in a .94 ISO to go along with 23 home runs and a .763 OPS. The gap between what I would consider an 'A' for Reynolds and what he produced doesn't feel like it is more than one letter grade in between which is why I went with a 'C'. I guess others' might not agree with my take on what an 'A' season for him would be so I can see there being some disconnect in that regard.

I can also see the argument that Reynolds' poor play at third did hurt the Orioles but the fact that he was able to provide very good defensive value at first once moved negates that for me. That is why I would like to see the Orioles resign him. If the poor power numbers were just an aberration and the solid defense at first was for real, Reynolds could be a very, very valuable piece in 2013.

Aside from the part where Reynolds basically convinced Buck that he could get it done at third. Reynold's has had a successful season defensively at third. I can't fault Buck overly for believing in his players when they have had some success in the past and were lobbying for a chance to redeem themselves.

I don't blame Buck for giving Reynolds a chance, but they should have known to hope for the bestbut expect the worst. Signing Betemit, who is equally bad defensively, was a poor choice.

Shouldn't that be more on Buck and DD? Reynolds wasn't exactly great in 2011. Regardless of what Reynolds said. I like his confidence in trying to get better there. He just didn't.

He got a C from me, but I really hope we can upgrade at 1B next year. His defense was fine, but not as great as everyone makes it out to be. His contact rate just kills me. In that regard, he's just not my type of player.

I think we need to change the mix on this team a bit. Jones, Hardy, Davis, Reynolds and Wieters are just too many high k, poor contact rate, guys for my taste. I'd like to get Hardy and Reynolds out of that mix when it's all said and done. Of course you have to be able to find that high quality guy to replace them, so it's easier said than done, but that would be my goal for this offseason.

He got a C from me, but I really hope we can upgrade at 1B next year. His defense was fine, but not as great as everyone makes it out to be. His contact rate just kills me. In that regard, he's just not my type of player.

I think we need to change the mix on this team a bit. Jones, Hardy, Davis, Reynolds and Wieters are just too many high k, poor contact rate, guys for my taste. I'd like to get Hardy and Reynolds out of that mix when it's all said and done. Of course you have to be able to find that high quality guy to replace them, so it's easier said than done, but that would be my goal for this offseason.

I want to agree with this because I hate watching strikeouts and wish we could sustain more rallies instead of getting one guy on and then hitting a home run, but our lineup is actually remarkably consistent at producing runs given its makeup of high K, high HR guys. BA is a stat which doesn't show the whole picture relative to OBP, and contact rate is what BA what BA is to OBP. I don't want to get into another discussion about whether or not Ks are worse than any other out, and if so how much worse, but I think they hurt to watch more than they hurt the offense.

I agree about the defense though, Reynolds actually has quite poor range even if he makes some flashy plays that other guys might not make.

I want to agree with this because I hate watching strikeouts and wish we could sustain more rallies instead of getting one guy on and then hitting a home run, but our lineup is actually remarkably consistent at producing runs given its makeup of high K, high HR guys. BA is a stat which doesn't show the whole picture relative to OBP, and contact rate is what BA what BA is to OBP. I don't want to get into another discussion about whether or not Ks are worse than any other out, and if so how much worse, but I think they hurt to watch more than they hurt the offense.

I agree about the defense though, Reynolds actually has quite poor range even if he makes some flashy plays that other guys might not make.

Yet he was the 10th ranked 1B in range factor in MLB. And this was taken from ESPN.com

Reynolds is also tenth overall in baseball with a 9.26 range factor at first – not half bad considering the last five gold glove winners at first base have had lower range factors than that.

Fourth best fielding % at 1B in the majors, and the 10th in range factor. Not to mention, he saved alot of errant throws to 1B. I'd say his defense was a tad better then fine.

Gave him a C. As far as production goes, he was right around his career average (higher OBP/less HR's). Doesn't make much difference to me. He's shown he can be a capable defender at first, but I don't see him being elite and/or exceptional there. Wouldn't be surpised to see him non-tendered and I wouldn't write Davis as our first baseman next year either.

I really don't know how anyone gave him an A or B....I personally think it is way to high for a defensive first baseman. He K'd a ton and his power numbers were not there....If you take away one week of the season....8/31 to 9/6 he only hit 15 HR's the entire rest of the year

Archived