Matt Hobgood - is there hope? (No, there is not. Indy League bound.)

McLovin

Wow. These pretty optimistic reports. Glad to hear it. True, Matt is a little old for A ball, but he struggled for so long to get healthy. I'm not going to hold his age against him right now. The key is how is the guy throwing. The results are pretty good in a small sample size. If he stays healthy, I think he's going to look like a prospect againby the end of the season.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's be fair. He was a high school draft kid, not a college draft kid, so there is 4 years right there.

Repeat Frederick is a bit harsh. He only pitched in 9 games there last season.

I still expect to see him in an Oriole big league uniform and pitching for them, just give him time to progress through the system and develop. IMO.

Two shoulder surgeries. Repeat Frederick. Relief. Loose command. We wish him very well.

I like the 29 page Hobgood thread, but where is the "Billy Rowell, is there still hope thread?"

I wasn't paying that much attention at the time, but my understanding is that Rowell was a consensus top pick.... quite unlike Hobgood in that respect.

Also interesting is that while the five players picked immediately after Hobgood have been good or are at least off to good MLB starts, the two players picked BEFORE him have both been busts. Donavan Tate busted completely and Tony Sanchez looks like a backup catcher, maybe.

Of course, the 2009 draft will likely be forever remembered as the Mike Trout draft, for the 23 teams that had a chance to take Trout and passed.

Two shoulder surgeries. Repeat Frederick. Relief. Loose command. We wish him very well.

It was ONE surgery, and not a rotator cuff or labrum issue. Most of his numbers are much better already and he sat 96 and touched 98 last night, but you never have anything positive to say about him, so I'm really not surprised by this backhanded comment.

It was ONE surgery, and not a rotator cuff or labrum issue. Most of his numbers are much better already and he sat 96 and touched 98 last night, but you never have anything positive to say about him, so I'm really not surprised by this backhanded comment.

I thought that there were two capsule revisions for him, but it had been such a long time that I got him confused with Dan Klein. I think it is great that he has velocity again. I hope that he can have a career and that the Orioles can benefit from Joe Jordan's confidence and their investment in Matt.

I was equally disappointed with Parker Bridwell's progression. As Matt knows, he was not the person who chose to select himself that very high and of course several of the players picked after him have shown some success. Matt is a victim of our expectations and I do try to temper my hopes. I have already been quite disappointed with our organization in regards to the whole process. I am not privy to any inside information on why the Orioles see Matt as a minor league reliever. It usually does not bode well for the future prospect status of an individual. I hope for everyone's sake that Matt will shock me with his progress this year.

I do have to reiterate, some of my skepticism was unfounded in that I thought that shoulder had been cut twice. I am always skeptical about any pitchers with shoulder issues. Not just Matt.

I know Weams is not interested in any defense, but if any comment seems backhanded it is yours....

I hope the best for Matt, would be awesome for him and O's if he becomes a productive MLB player.

I think it's somewhat (very?) telling that the O's didn't invite him to the Fall Instructs League. You had guys like Harvey there - another first rounder. But also other disappointing high picks like Parker Bridwell and Mychal Givens there. Repeat: The 5th pick of the 2009 draft didn't garner an invite to an instructional camp.

High draft picks like Harvey and Hart (among others) got a taste of Big League ST - Hobgood didn't get a sniff.

Methinks they are looking for something more than velocity out of him.

I think it's somewhat (very?) telling that the O's didn't invite him to the Fall Instructs League. You had guys like Harvey there - another first rounder. But also other disappointing high picks like Parker Bridwell and Mychal Givens there. Repeat: The 5th pick of the 2009 draft didn't garner an invite to an instructional camp.

High draft picks like Harvey and Hart (among others) got a taste of Big League ST - Hobgood didn't get a sniff.

Methinks they are looking for something more than velocity out of him.

At his age and level, out of the bullpen, he would have to be completely dominant to be put back on the prospect list.

What was it Tony said about minor league bullpen guys putting up big numbers?

How much more time does Matt have under minor league control. I am guessing he is close to being a free agent. If so he needs to move up to double a pretty quickly.

I think they need 7 to be a MiL FA (even though they call it 6 yr. FA). And there is the Rule V too.

How much more time does Matt have under minor league control. I am guessing he is close to being a free agent. If so he needs to move up to double a pretty quickly.

My opinion is that the Orioles will never get any return on their investment here. Not that Matt can't be a major leaguer at some point.

I'm glad to hear that his velocity is good, but it isn't translating that strongly into results. 10 K's in 13.2 IP isn't too impressive for a reliever, nor are the 7 BB. It's early in the year, but this is a year when Matt really needs to make a move.

Archived