Orioles have inquired about Stanton

Roll Tide

I don't have any links, but I've heard several analysts say that they wouldn't be suprised if he spends most of the season in the minors, since the Orioles have so much pitching depth. Even if he begins the season with the team, my money is on him being used out of the pen...until one of the SPs falls out of favor.

So "experts" have become "analysts". He won't start the year in the pen and he won't spend a majority of the 2013 season in the minors.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So "experts" have become "analysts". He won't start the year in the pen and he won't spend a majority of the 2013 season in the minors.

Changed your tune huh? A month ago you had this say about Bundy...

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/128157-What-do-you-think-happens-with-Dylan-Bundy-in-2013

"He will be with the big club by the all star break.

Throwing his "slider". "

Changed your tune huh? A month ago you had this say about Bundy...

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/128157-What-do-you-think-happens-with-Dylan-Bundy-in-2013

"He will be with the big club by the all star break.

Throwing his "slider". "

Not at all.

My comments are not contradictory.

Up by the all star break = won't spend a majority of the season in the minors.

So, even though Gausman is in the fold, some people would not trade an unproven Bundy, for a proven 22 year old budding superstar in Stanton...who is proven. I can't say I agree with some points of view. Between this and not wanting to pony up for some FA talent, I am stumped.

Agreed. My point is it improves us for "one season," but also helps us going forward.

I agree. Depending on what the O's had to give up to get him, Stanton would help the O's. Until the playoffs when the O's team's #1 starter shut him down like #1 starters do. That is why if the O's want to get deep in the playoffs they need to have a #1 starter. Great pitching stops great hitting. The Giants says hello.

So, even though Gausman is in the fold, some people would not trade an unproven Bundy, for a proven 22 year old budding superstar in Stanton...who is proven. I can't say I agree with some points of view. Between this and not wanting to pony up for some FA talent, I am stumped.

I think you missed a chance to call Bundy "unproven" a second time. It really weakens your point to have it unbalanced like that.

I don't think people quite understand how valuable Giancarlo Stanton is. Just take a look at his stats, then note that he's 23 years old.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/stantmi03.shtml

That said, I don't know if I'd pull the trigger on a trade for Stanton, which would likely be Bundy, Machado +. It gives us an incredibly valuable bat, but if the team regresses significantly, we don't have any means to improve. If he's still available at the winter meetings next year, I'd get involved, but at that point you're likely to see a massive bidding war. If I'm Texas, I'm all over this guy right now.

I think you missed a chance to call Bundy "unproven" a second time. It really weakens your point to have it unbalanced like that.

His point still remains. A 22 year old that has already put up a 40 HR season and a .900 OPS for a prospect that may turn out to be a bust. Who know's. It would be different if Stanton was 28 and a FA in two years. Besides, some like Gausmans stuff better.

Great argument bud, but I was calling Giancarlo proven and making that point stick.

No, you were using English poorly.

How many 250 pound 23 year olds have undergone knee surgery and don't end up having major knee issues down the road?

If Stanton ends up a DH in two years what does that do to his value?

I'm on the fence about it. I doubt it would happen so its not worth much thought but its fun to imagine an Orioles lineup with Stanton in the clean up spot. Whether or not Bundy is proven, I think its important to roll the dice that he is what many believe he is and that's a TOR starter in the making. That would be more valuable than a MOO bat considering Stanton is due for FA at 2017 and Bundys earliest is 2019.

Plus, where do you put Stanton? Does he unseat our GG RF in Markakis? Does he go to LF where he has only played a total of 6 games in his professional career, all in the minors? Does it even matter since he is Giancarlo friggin Stanton?

I'm on the fence about it. I doubt it would happen so its not worth much thought but its fun to imagine an Orioles lineup with Stanton in the clean up spot. Whether or not Bundy is proven, I think its important to roll the dice that he is what many believe he is and that's a TOR starter in the making. That would be more valuable than a MOO bat considering Stanton is due for FA at 2017 and Bundys earliest is 2019.

Plus, where do you put Stanton? Does he unseat our GG RF in Markakis? Does he go to LF where he has only played a total of 6 games in his professional career, all in the minors? Does it even matter since he is Giancarlo friggin Stanton?

I would put him at first to protect his knees.

You stick him in Left and forget about him. Watch him hit 25 home runs next year in OPACY and pray to god that Kevin Gausman is as good as advertised.

Archived