Josh Hamilton market update - 3 years $60-75 million

TradeAngelos

Randy Johnson to AZ is the only one I can really think of thats not a Yank/Sox.
He's definitely one. Notice how the Yanks/Red Sox disclaimer was used. That takes away CC Sabathia, Manny Ramirez, Roger Clemens, David Cone...

Now if you want to add guys who added significantly to their payroll via trade you have Matt Holiday, Curt Schilling...

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1)

2) Reynolds not coming back, I believe, was more with Buck and DD not being in his corner then it was money. They would have brought him back for cheap, but I'm not sure either like Reynolds as a player.

Peter Angelos: Isn't he the one who keeps making the mess with those seeds?

Dan Duquette: I like Mark Reynolds, I just didn't like the price of his contract. We looked at a lot of ways to fit him into the team, but I don't know that we're going to be able to do that.

Buck: He's got a lot of "Want To."

Nicole Sherry: I have two extra groundskeepers to take care of that mess.

Peter Angelos: Isn't he the one with the long hair and that thing that looks like a beard?

Dan Duquette: I know we have some people in-house that are very capable of doing that job

Buck: He left me hanging.

Nicole: I could save you some money. Maybe I could even get that ivy to grow again.

Peter: I like Ivy.

Dan Duquette: They have Ivy in Chicago.

Buck: I hear Hamilton is going to get 25 million a year.

Peter: How much does this messy guy want?

Dan: 11 million

Peter: Good it is settled, sign someone for two million. And I want to improve the team by making them play better for what we are paying them. The Uniforms. Players must get very hot in the polyester. You know, it's not a natural fibre. I think they would prefer cotton.

Buck: Cotton, huh?

Peter: Yeah. Cotton breathes, you see, it's much softer. Imagine playing games and your team is five degrees cooler than the other team. Don't you think that would be an advantage? They're cooler, they're more comfortable...they're happier - they're gonna play better.

Buck: Hmm. Cotton uniforms.

Peter: Well it is all settled. Can you send Russell in?

Detroit 2006.

Magglio Ord??ez and Troy Percival.

MSK

Detroit won the 2006 World Series? Somebody better tell the Cardinals to give their rings back.

Edit: Ordonez is an odd choice anyway, since bb-ref has him as worth 11.5 WAR total over the 7 years of his contract (and that includes 6.9 WAR in 2007). Hard to say he was worth that contract.

He's definitely one. Notice how the Yanks/Red Sox disclaimer was used. That takes away CC Sabathia, Manny Ramirez, Roger Clemens, David Cone...

Now if you want to add guys who added significantly to their payroll via trade you have Matt Holiday, Curt Schilling...

I used that disclaimer because we will NEVER have a payroll as high as the Yankees, nor as high as the Sox were a couple years ago.

I know they didn't win. My point is that FAs got them to a whole other level.

MSK

You've been stating that all that matters is a world series win. What DD did last offseason got us to "a whole other level", and none of that included top free agents.

Detroit won the 2006 World Series? Somebody better tell the Cardinals to give their rings back.

Edit: Ordonez is an odd choice anyway, since bb-ref has him as worth 11.5 WAR total over the 7 years of his contract (and that includes 6.9 WAR in 2007). Hard to say he was worth that contract.

I know they didn't win. My point is that FAs got them to a whole other level.

MSK

I know the question was being taken literally, but I actually agree with MSK more here. There main difference between making the playoffs and winning the World Series is luck (or whatever term you wish to use for "getting hot at the right time and matching up well with your opponents").

I know the question was being taken literally, but I actually agree with MSK more here. There main difference between making the playoffs and winning the World Series is luck (or whatever term you wish to use for "getting hot at the right time and matching up well with your opponents").

You could of said the same thing about the Orioles last year with the roster they had.

Reynolds radically underperformed for most of the year, as did Hardy and Andino. Flaherty was useless for 3/4 of the season. Weiters is debatable, I'll grant you that. Injuries were rampant. Reimold missed almost the entire year, and Markakis missed over a third of it. Reynolds also missed a good bit of time. Even our backups like Nick Johnson and Taylor Teagarden were out for large chunks of time. Steve Tolleson, Omar Quintanilla, Lew Ford, and Endy Chavez started for weeks at a time and Betemit got 100 PAs against lefties because there just wasn't anyone else available.

And we still won 93 games. It's hard to imagine so many things going wrong again this year, especially with the depth that has been added- and I'm sure DD isn't done.

I wouldn't say Reynolds underperformed radically.

2011- .221/.323/.483/.806 37HR 75BB 196K

2012- .221/.335/.429/.763 23HR 73BB 159K

The only thing that was abnormal was his HR. If he would have hit 7 more HR, and had another 30 HR season, we wouldn't be discussing his offense. And I firmly believe that he would have hit 30, if not for missing 27 games due to injury. We still don't know how bad Reynold's was hurting when he did play, so 35+HR probably would have been likely. He still got on base at a .335 clip, he just wasn't driving the ball. And that's what oblique and arm injuries do to you.

I just think the 2013 team would be better off with Reynold's at 1B and Davis at DH. Just my opinion. I'd feel better with Reynold's batting 7th, than any combination of Betemit/Pearce/Valencia/Reimold.

The only thing that was abnormal was his HR. If he would have hit 7 more HR, and had another 30 HR season, we wouldn't be discussing his offense. And I firmly believe that he would have hit 30, if not for missing 27 games due to injury. We still don't know how bad Reynold's was hurting when he did play, so 35+HR probably would have been likely. He still got on base at a .335 clip, he just wasn't driving the ball. And that's what oblique and arm injuries do to you.

I just think the 2013 team would be better off with Reynold's at 1B and Davis at DH. Just my opinion. I'd feel better with Reynold's batting 7th, than any combination of Betemit/Pearce/Valencia/Reimold.

Take out that 3-4 week stretch and he OPS under 700.

Is that your only complaint about the offseason is not bringing back Reynolds? You like to kind of dance around your opinions and not just come out and say how you feel. You kind of want Hamilton but you aren't sure what you want to give him but this team won't win next year as it is constructed and we need upgrades over what we had last year but you want Reynolds and Davis both back.

Archived