Hardy weighs in on Reynolds

Frobby

People.............this is Duquettes reputation from Boston. Great at X's and O's but not a people person. Gets lots of people furious at him.

I will live with that if we win.................just win baby. I'm tired of being respectable losers.

Andy MacPhail is a very gracious and engaging person. He wears a sweater vest for God's sake. But his grandfather was Larry MacPhail. The social presentation is something that some folks have. And for other's it never crosses their mind.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may also be the case that DD is expecting a Betemit-Valencia platoon at DH (vs. Thome et al) to make up for much of whatever we are losing in Reynolds' departure.

Betemit vs. RHP (2012): .302/.357/.502 (.859 OPS)

Valencia vs. LHP (Career): .316/.359/.472 (.841 OPS)

I got a good deal of enjoyment from Reynolds the past two seasons, but the fact that so many of you are mourning as a great loss of OBP a guy whose percentages were .323 (2011) and .335 (2012) says a lot more about how poor the Orioles are at getting on base than about his inherent value. His OPS last year was fifth on the team and his spurts of home run power were much too brief and infrequent for the type of hitter we need at first base. Markakis' .363 and B-Rob's four-year .354-.378 run before the probably career-dooming injuries--that's the type of OBP Reynolds wd have needed to supply to make up for his power outages and inability to play any small ball, another area in which the O's need vast improvement.
This is a point though. He had at least an average OBP. The O's despertaely need to up their team OBP. They have done nothing so far to do that, and losing Reynolds only lessen's the likelyhood of doing that,

It may also be the case that DD is expecting a Betemit-Valencia platoon at DH (vs. Thome et al) to make up for much of whatever we are losing in Reynolds' departure.

Valencia has 326 PA vs LHP in three years. I would hope DD isn't banking on that.

The right-handed participant of the DH crew might be Conor Jackson, who has a .283/.381/.416 (.818 OPS) line vs. LHP.

We have options...though I'm not sure that either of these are what DD is thinking about...

Valencia has 326 PA vs LHP in three years. I would hope DD isn't banking on that.

That's not a really SSS actually. Jones played in all 162 games last year and only ended up with 161 ABs vs. LHPs.

And DD isn't banking on Valencia exclusively- he added Jackson and re-signed Pearce. Also, Reimold figures to get some ABs as a RH DH.

We will regret not re-signing Mark Reynolds.

I'm thinking this too. I wasn't his biggest backer, but if we could have had him here for around 5M plus some incentives, seems like a no-brainer to me. The other options out there are going to cost us players or more money.

Please. no. more. Betemit talk....just :no:

tumblr_ma7hobtU9J1r9fa7no1_500.gif

Please. no. more. Betemit talk....just :no:

tumblr_ma7hobtU9J1r9fa7no1_500.gif

Why? The guy has a career OPS of .824 vs. RHPs, .859 last year. That's pretty darn good. With a decent RH counterpart, DH should be good to go. A platoon isn't flashy or sexy but it can be just as effective as one big name star player.

Just because you refuse to see his value doesn't mean that it ceases to exist.

Why? The guy has a career OPS of .824 vs. RHPs, ,859 last year. That's pretty darn good. With a decent RH counterpart, DH should be good to go. A platoon isn't flashy or sexy but it can be just as effective as one big name star player.

LOL I don't buy it...

I also would not want Betemit taking ABs away from a healthy Reimold.

Archived