Roch answers "Why haven't the Orioles made a trade?"

ChaosLex

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right, unless we GO OUT AND SIGN SOMEONE ELSE!

Why are you guys pretending that the Orioles can't make other trades?

MSK

Such as? And please make it realistic. If you would have offered the Mets Davis and Matusz what you would have heard was laughing right as the phone went click. So please good sir impart your wisdom as to what these fantastic trades are that DD is missing.

Right, unless we GO OUT AND SIGN SOMEONE ELSE!

Why are you guys pretending that the Orioles can't make other trades?

MSK

Why would we trade a 26 year old 1B with 40 HR power and 3 years of team control left, and sign a 32 year old in decline for multiple years and more than twice as much, i.e.- Swisher or LaRoche?

Who does that?

Such as? And please make it realistic. If you would have offered the Mets Davis and Matusz what you would have heard was laughing right as the phone went click. So please good sir impart your wisdom as to what these fantastic trades are that DD is missing.

I've been saying that we need to do a good balance of trades and FA signings.

For 1B/DH I'd go after LaRouche or Carlos Pena.

For 2B, is Kelly Johnson available?

Placido Polanco would be a good backup 3B depth option.

For LF, I would get Ryan Ludwick and package Reimold in a trade for a TOR starter.

For pitching, Kyle Lohse or Anibal Sanchez.

MSK

Well, I actually I think you've made a great point here. It's probably time to take a break for awhile. I could listen to complaining pretty much anywhere.

We're just talking in circles at this point. The perspectives are clear and the points have been made.

For LF, I would get Ryan Ludwick and package Reimold in a trade for a TOR starter.

LaRoche costs our first round draft pick. Ludwick and Sanchez have been signed. Pena and Johnson are not capable ML starters anymore.

Lohse has a 4.45 career ERA. He just had a fluke year.

Polanco is interesting though. Great defender.

MSK

Carlos Pena...Reimold for a TOR SP...

Oh.

You're serious.

Oh...oh dear...

MSK

Maybe you should go back to rambling because there is a lot of misinformation in this post. Ludwick resigned with the Reds, Sanchez with the Tigers. Why would Polanco be a good depth option? He is a shell of his former self. Kelly Johnson was abysmal last year. Lohse and LaRoche will cost the first round draft pick and aren't good bets to be worth the contracts they sign. Reimold has very little value and the only way he nets a TOR starter is as a 3rd or 4th piece in a trade.

No.

I would have traded Davis and Matusz. But Davis is our miracle 1B now.

MSK

So the Mets say they want OF and/or C in a trade for Dickey, so you offer a 1B and a SP/RP. Logical. What use do the Mets have with Davis when they have a 1B already? Now in terms of value, they are decent, but also remember that both are entering arbitration and are costing money.

If the "stop pretending we're restricted to a Rays-esque budget" people are getting called out for trolling, this must be as well. Plus you're delusional if you don't think we should try to further improve the team.

Never said anything about not trying to improve the team.

But the people that bring it up regardless of topic are no better than the people who think we're being lied to and should take full advantage of our resources.

I don't think we're being lied to. Hell, we could be being lied to...at the end of the day, what difference does it make? Angelos. Doesn't. Spend.

Let's not pretend there's another month and a half until ST. The offseason is far, far from over.

I'm not saying we should stand pat. I'm not saying that I'm perfectly satisfied with the little moves we've done so far....if this were the week before opening day and our roster looked like this, I'd be a little concerned.

However, there's still time...pardon me if I don't understand the mindset of the section of the fanbase who flips out because other teams have made larger moves than we have when there's time on the clock. I'm sorry I'm not the one who hasn't learned who owns the Baltimore Orioles and what that means for when it comes to opening purse strings and spending big on FA's.

Being frustrated about the Orioles FO and vocalizing it here is all you need to do to be labeled a troll.

I am shocked that so many OH posters are pretending that things are okay. I've seen so many people say stuff like, "You know, I am okay with what we have" and it is driving me insane. I can't believe any fan can look at the rest of the AL East and think we have a lineup that will get us back into contention.

That's been my point for the last week or so. We are deluding ourselves using worthless metrics and prognostications based on stats that don't always play out well in the real world. 2012 was impossible using the data from 2011.

We're not even doing what the 2002 and 2003 Red Sox did to get themselves to the next level. But I am seeing something different I guess.

MSK

That is not what gets you labeled a troll. Would it be nice to add some other pieces yeah, but there is no need to complain about that in threads about minor league signings.

And saying "Woah is me, the Blue Jays are so improved," isn't useful either. Cool they made a blockbuster with the Marlins, but that group of players got the Marlins in 5th place in 2012. Yes they added a lot of talent but there are legitimate concerns with injuries and stalled production for cost. If we went by paper moves, the Marlins should have been in the playoffs. And we saw Boston and Texas fall completely on their faces this past year.

Maybe you should go back to rambling because there is a lot of misinformation in this post. Ludwick resigned with the Reds, Sanchez with the Tigers. Why would Polanco be a good depth option? He is a shell of his former self. Kelly Johnson was abysmal last year. Lohse and LaRoche will cost the first round draft pick and aren't good bets to be worth the contracts they sign. Reimold has very little value and the only way he nets a TOR starter is as a 3rd or 4th piece in a trade.

Yes, it should be interesting to hear some of that justified.

That is not what gets you labeled a troll. Would it be nice to add some other pieces yeah, but there is no need to complain about that in threads about minor league signings.

And saying "Woah is me, the Blue Jays are so improved," isn't useful either. Cool they made a blockbuster with the Marlins, but that group of players got the Marlins in 5th place in 2012. Yes they added a lot of talent but there are legitimate concerns with injuries and stalled production for cost. If we went by paper moves, the Marlins should have been in the playoffs. And we saw Boston and Texas fall completely on their faces this past year.

The 2012 Orioles were 11-7 against a Blue Jays team marred with injuries and inconsistency. However, this same team took 2 of 4 in that crucial series before the end of the season. If you really believe we can compete against the new Jays without further improvement in terms of offense and pitching, I don't know what else to say.

MSK

Archived