Brian Roberts interview

wildcard

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So question' date=' do you trust Cassilla/Flaherty more than Andino/Flaherty?[/quote']

I think their options at second are better this year than they were last year, even if you assume Roberts never gets a single plate appearance.

Why would you hide a sports hernia from the media and the fans? It makes no sense. All Roberts does, as long as he's on the roster, is give Peter Angelos a false sense of security about 2b. He had a nice run, but I think it's time to hang up the spikes and switch over to the coaching side of things.

Maybe because it is not their damn business and things can be taken out of context and as long as DD and Buck know

that is all that matters. In this post some think that Roberts is not bring fully honest and others may think he is.

Maybe because it is not their damn business and things can be taken out of context and as long as DD and Buck know

that is all that matters. In this post some think that Roberts is not bring fully honest and others may think he is.

Really. When was the last time we saw a player call a press conference to announce his sports hernia. :rolleyestf:

I doubt that Brian Roberts gives anyone a sense of security, no matter how hard he tries to do so. I'm sure everyone wishes him all the best, but I can't imagine that anyone is ready to pencil him in for 150 games.

I found it interesting in this Fan Forum answer by Jim Presley ("Who will be the leadoff hitter?") that only two names come up. It was as if Brian is simply included as an afterthought (or in this case, a "no-thought").

In a way, that's reassuring to me: He's going to have to really show up and impress in Spring Training if he wants to get back in their minds. As it should be.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IULlpQcl0ek" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We know that Roberts is a great player, but I can understand his injuries. Then again, why not... we insert him as a designated hitter? I know we have Chris Davis and Wilson Betemit as primarily DH. I'm kind of disappointed that we traded our Andino when he was great at a second base. If we don't like Brian Roberts, why don't we trade him already? His valuable is declining, as he is getting older.

I think Roberts has a pretty good perspective on 2013:

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2013/01/roberts-understands-fans-doubts.html

"I don't hold anything against anyone that doesn't think I can do it anymore. That's fine," Roberts said Saturday at FanFest. "I had people 12 years ago that thought that, so it's not anything new. I'm excited just to play. I never played for what people thought. I play because I love the game. I play because I still feel I can help this organization. I still think I can help win games. I guess only time will tell if that's true or not.

----

"I'm very hopeful," Roberts said. "I don't see any reason at this point why I can't. I'm 35, but my body is really 32 because I haven't played a whole lot the last couple of years. I've been remade. I'm excited and I feel like I still have a lot to give."

A reporter asked Roberts if he's talked to manager Buck Showalter about this season and does he feel he needs to compete to win his old job back.

"I haven't talked to him about it," Roberts said. "I'm going to take ground balls and my batting practice and when my name is in the lineup, I'll go play. When we open in Tampa, I'll do whatever it says I'm supposed to do."

Roberts said that includes possibly batting somewhere other than first in the batting order. If asked to hit second or anywhere else, he's up for it.

"You think after all I've been though, I care where I hit? Honestly. After a year of migraine headaches I could care less where I hit in the lineup, I can promise you that," Roberts said, adding that his concussion issues seem to be a thing of the past.

"I'm doing great with it. It's been a process and journey and something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. But it's something I've glad to have in the rearview mirror."

Roberts was asked about the impressive fan turnout of 18,500 Saturday at the Baltimore Convention Center.

"They always said we had lost our fans a long time ago," said Roberts. "I said, 'No, they aren't spending their hard-earned money to come watch us lose. It's understandable.' You always knew this was a sports town and this was an Orioles town. That playoff atmosphere blew my wildest expectations out of the water for what this city is like when our team wins."

Archived