Jair Jurrjens agrees to deal with Orioles

Greg

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be clear, its JURRJENS

Also, when was Kazmir ever selected over arguably the best pitcher in baseball from 2003 on? Never. Jurrjens was in 2011.

Why are you making such a big deal about him starting the AS game?

I'm not even sure why this is his argument since Roy Halladay actually started the 2011 All Star Game, not Jair Jurrjens.

IMO, Jurrjens is a big potential upside signing. He's had injuries the last couple of years that he admits affected his pitching....and he has two options left. I just hope it doesn't affect the O's pursuit of Joe Saunders, who I think Buck really, really wants on the starting staff.

Meh...Par for the course in Oriole land. It is, however, nice to see the O's dumpster diving at Ruth's Chris instead of Arby's. The cynic in me thinks this reeks of the usual past their prime and in decline, but hey! he's a "big" name, kind of player that Petey loves to bring in to placate the fans.

I know... Low risk, high reward, yadda, yadda, yadda. I get the thinking and understand why some would feel good about this. Stranger things have happened. Maybe Jurrjens beats the odds and rediscovers his old ways. Still, as many have mentioned, horrible K-rate, diminished velocity, and the Brave's track record don't bode well for Mr. Jurrjens.

The only way this move really bothers me much is if that 1.5 million he earns gives him a automatic spot in the rotation over one of our "cavalry". If we're not going to spend on, you know, actual free agent talent, we should be giving our young arms a chance to sink or swim.

Meh...Par for the course in Oriole land. It is, however, nice to see the O's dumpster diving at Ruth's Chris instead of Arby's. The cynic in me thinks this reeks of the usual past their prime and in decline, but hey! he's a "big" name, kind of player that Petey loves to bring in to placate the fans.

You think Jair Jurrjens is a "big" name? I have a very hard time believing that any fan waiting for a "big" move will be placated by Jurrjens, or that Angelos had anything to do with this.

Also, Jurrjens isn't exactly "past his prime" from an age standpoint. He's the same age as Arrieta. And making less money than Hunter or Matusz (unless he makes his incentives). I don't think he'll get any preference over the "cavalry" unless he earns it.

I know... Low risk, high reward, yadda, yadda, yadda. I get the thinking and understand why some would feel good about this. Stranger things have happened. Maybe Jurrjens beats the odds and rediscovers his old ways. Still, as many have mentioned, horrible K-rate, diminished velocity, and the Brave's track record don't bode well for Mr. Jurrjens.

The only way this move really bothers me much is if that 1.5 million he earns gives him a automatic spot in the rotation over one of our "cavalry". If we're not going to spend on, you know, actual free agent talent, we should be giving our young arms a chance to sink or swim.

We are letting our young arms sink or swim. If they out compete Jurrjens I guarantee they will get the rotation spots. The difference is, if they sink, the rest of the team won't sink with them.

Wow, quite the arguement going. This is almost 20 pages, and surely over 20 by the time it is done. This is just above the Jamie Moyer and Dontrell Willis signings of last year. If it pans out, GREAT. If not, meh? We arent investing alot in him and we arent up a creek with out a paddle if he doesnt do anything. If we signed Melky to a 5/75, THEN I would be discussing this ad nasseum.

13 million a year for 4 years is an awful signing by the cubs. But I guess they can afford it as they sell out games at ridiculous prices. I think that would be a horrible signing for the orioles. And his career War is similar to Jurrjens. Bundy and Gausman are coming the Orioles don't want to hook up a mediocre pitcher for that kind of money for that many years. Dan Harren had a bad year last season and signed for 13 million.

I like Saunders at 8 million a year for two years. But I think if he wanted that he would have signed with the Orioles by now.

Explain to me how that is an awful signing. If you're adamant about bringing up WAR, Jackson has been consistent the past four years in posting a WAR of 3.6, 3.9, 3.9, and 2.7. If you go by Fangraphs in determining the value of WAR, that equates to respective salary values of $16.3 million, $15.5, $17.4, and $11.9. That cost is only going to increase over the next 4 seasons. Having tossed >183 innings the past 5 seasons and at 29-years old, I don't understand why you'd say that. Though clearly not an ace, Jackson is definitely not a "mediocre pitcher" and wouldn't have blocked Bundy or Gausman. I'm not advocating that the Orioles clearly missed out on Jackson, but it would have shown the willingness to commit to a proven pitcher with a very good chance of repeating the success of the past 4 seasons.

Haren has a much better track record with stuff clearly better than Jurrjens. $8 million was not an overpay, and while he had a mediocre season last year (not bad), it was far and away better than Jurrjens.

Wow, quite the arguement going. This is almost 20 pages, and surely over 20 by the time it is done.

That's because it's the most significant thing the Orioles have done since the Winter Meetings six weeks ago. But I think if a poll was posted, about 90% are either in favor of this move or at least neutral. So, even though it's a long thread, it's not really an argument about the Jurjjens signing.

That's because it's the most significant thing the Orioles have done since the Winter Meetings six weeks ago. But I think if a poll was posted, about 90% are either in favor of this move or at least neutral. So, even though it's a long thread, it's not really an argument about the Jurjjens signing.

I doubt it reaches Taylor Teagarden/Dana Eveland status.

Wow, quite the arguement going. This is almost 20 pages, and surely over 20 by the time it is done. This is just above the Jamie Moyer and Dontrell Willis signings of last year. If it pans out, GREAT. If not, meh? We arent investing alot in him and we arent up a creek with out a paddle if he doesnt do anything. If we signed Melky to a 5/75, THEN I would be discussing this ad nasseum.

MLB network feels otherwise. They just did a fifteen minute segment RAVING about the move.

Archived