National Signing Day

Munson

The only players who flipped from Auburn to Bama were a DL from Muscle Shoals who had been committed to AU, but decommitted 5 weeks ago and LB Reuben Foster who was committed to Bama for over a year and then committed to AU back in the Fall. He decommitted from AU when Chizik and

company were canned.

Liner was the main one, but Foster was trying to string us along when he was going to Bama all along. He's not smart enough to come up with that on his own.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Liner was the main one, but Foster was trying to string us along when he was going to Bama all along. He's not smart enough to come up with that on his own.

Both would be AU signees if Trooper Taylor were still there. I look for both to do well at Bama, especially Foster.

Both would be AU signees if Trooper Taylor were still there. I look for both to do well at Bama, especially Foster.

Most likely, but I'm thrilled TT is gone. Horrible coach and apparently let guys get away with doing nothing in the weight room. That falls on Chizik, but a house cleaning was in order.

Grandstanding by athletes anywhere annoys me. I'm a guy who enjoys athletes having fun, but the antics of Chad Johnson,Deion Sanders, and the major "choreography" after making a sack or the pre-game "look at me" war dance has gotten old.

BUT THATS NOTHING compared to an 18 year old holding a major college institution hostage and playing a kind of narcissistic head game on the media and fans as they breathlessly await his decision to play football in "National signing day". This is an "event" that was created by TV revenue cretins who look at the attention given to a 4 or 5 star athlete and see it as another revenue stream. The most galling moment of all is when that 18 year old with four or five hats, plays a kind of offensive shell game and finally plucks the symbolic hat of the university for which he has granted their most fervent wish..to play for them as a freshman in the fall. There are alot of people to blame here. The media, which fans the

"excitement" and anticipation flames, the breathless fans who over indulge the athlete, and

most significantly,is the athlete who never thought about how obnoxious it is to mock a college education.

An education, by the way, and not insignificantly, people within the last 50 years have fought and given their lives for.

Sure, sports is rife with hypocrisy. College sports is a giant tunnel of money, greed, and inequity. That doesnt mean some kid and his family

playing "chase the athlete" makes it any better. This is the most unseemly time of the year. Everywhere you look.

I don't know, Roy. I'm not a big fan of the grandstanding either, but a product of the environment created by television and the recruiting coaches much more so than the kids themselves. Let's not forget the coaches get paid multiple $M and the kids get a pretty small part of the pie, the coaches can pull scholarships, leave the program, etc, etc.

I also think the grandstanding kid on espn is the exception and not the rule. An overwhelming majority of the kids are true student athletes and understand and appreciate the free education they are earning.

A few times he has had guys flip from Auburn to Bama but had them keep it quiet until the end so that we're left scrambling. I don't know if he's done this to ther schools, but I wouldn't be surprised. The rumor is he was trying to do it again this year, but Auburn got wise to it and sent the kid packing. FWIW, these are rumors but ones that are repeated quite often.

That sounds more like an indictment of the kids' integrity than of Saban to me.

The Diggs - Long combo at WR is legit , and is the best duo at WR we have had in a while. Now if only we had a QB who can get them the ball , who do you guys think it will be C.J Brown or Perry Hills??

Really depends on who is healthy and how good some of the "unknowns" are.

Ricardo Young is a transfer who will be eligible this year. I've heard reports of him in practice ranging from "best player on the field" to "not a D1 player". So who knows.

How healthy will Brown, Hills and Rowe be?

I think ideally you have Hills, Rowe and Cockerille all RS, but that seems pretty unlikely after last year.

Archived