Hangout Poll: Who do you think will be the 5th starter?

Tony-OH

Who will win the 5th starer's job?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the 5th starer's job?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said Johnson based on his results last season....although sample size. The guy should get a good look.

I think Jurrjens could rebound if his knee bounces back. If so he has the stuff to run away with it.

Arrieta should be groomed to close at AAA with Peterson. Matusz and Hunter should stay in the pen.

Given the OP, Britton.

But I honestly don't think Tillman and Gonzalez are locked in the rotation. Favorites? Sure. But there are 3 spots up for grabs. 4 if you assume the 6th man is going get plenty of work.

If that's the case the Orioles are a poor outfit to work for. These guys have earned their spot in the rotation.

Given the OP, Britton.

But I honestly don't think Tillman and Gonzalez are locked in the rotation. Favorites? Sure. But there are 3 spots up for grabs. 4 if you assume the 6th man is going get plenty of work.

Either Tillman or Gonzalez would have to have epic meltdowns to not make the rotation. When's the last time a guy got a playoff start and failed to make the rotation the next year (not because of injury)?

Who would make the rotation over either of those guys? Matusz? Not likely. Hunter? No. Johnson? Not five months ago Gonzalez was starting in the playoffs while Johnson wasn't even on the roster. The Rule 5er? Right. Injury is the only way Hammel, Chen, Tillman, and Gonzalez don't make the rotation.

McFarland is my pick to start the year. If he clicks he pulls a Flaherty. If not, then we move on.

I thought "pulling a Flaherty" was to be used very infrequently in backup roles for most of the year while looking overmatched, then fall into a slightly more regular role late, while still ending up with pretty ugly numbers.

It's hard to see how that would work out in the starting rotation.

I will go with Arrieta. That said, there is a reason we have as one writter put it...ridiculous depth in starting pitching. The four we have slotted as locks are anything but, and regardless of who wins the 5th slot in spring training, I say that we will end up using many more as we progress through the year either becuase of injury or lack of performance.

I will also say that someone on this staff could also step further forward and of course as everyone knows, there is still the possibility of seeing Bundy or Gausman. It will be interesting either way and at the end of the day, the starting pitching will determine where the Orioles finish.

I went with Matusz. I guess it's just a hunch. But I think he took his demotion to the pen like a man and showed some intensity I hadn't seen before. His curve and slider are still plus pitches. For him to grab that 5th spot he'll need to rediscover that nasty change that made him at least adequate against righties. And my hunch is he does.

I don't see why Steve Johnson gets so overlooked. I realize he only started a handful of games last season, but his ERA/WHIP were great. My vote would be for Steve.

1) His 40-inning MLB performance doesn't match his spottier 4.17 minor league ERA. He's a year removed from an ugly 5.56 ERA at Norfolk.

2) The scouts are underwhelmed by his stuff.

3) His 2012 performance was helped by an unsustainable .229 BABIP.

Archived