So how about Brian Roberts today?

markakis8

Why do ppl like u need to get all bent out of shape over a comment? i am sharing my opinion that i don't think Roberts defense will be as bad as you think it will be, that's it. I read all the comments leading up to yours, and i was commenting on yours, not theirs. I'm getting a little tired of ppl on here too criticising everyones comments, when i have just as much right as you do to express my opinion, so get over it. I didn't mean any ill will to you or anything.

If you read the thread then why did you take my comment out of context? Also I'm not the one calling others peoples comments absurd. If you want something absurd lets have a discussion about the current relevance about Brian Robert's defense in college.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you read the thread then why did you take my comment out of context? Also I'm not the one calling others peoples comments absurd. If you want something absurd lets have a discussion about the current relevance about Brian Robert's defense in college.

sorry that i took your comment out of context, are we good? Didn't say the defensive thing in college had relevance today, just that he wasn't always a bad defender or below average. He won best defensive player in all of D1 college. So he was pretty good at least at some point.

I choose to believe that he will fake being healthy, has gotten faster, grown 4 inches, and will win a GG after playing 162 games. In his spare time he will move the Bromo Seltzer tower to be in full view, dredge the harbor, and will at one point pitch to himself....reaching base on an error by his replacement at 2B.

sorry that i took your comment out of context, are we good? Didn't say the defensive thing in college had relevance today, just that he wasn't always a bad defender or below average. He won best defensive player in all of D1 college. So he was pretty good at least at some point.

We're good. You're new and that can be tough. I'd just ask you to try and be more careful with the context of the conversation and the rhetoric like absurd. That word actually takes on particular significance here. Sorry for the rough treatment.

We're good. You're new and that can be tough. I'd just ask you to try and be more careful with the context of the conversation and the rhetoric like absurd. That word actually takes on particular significance here. Sorry for the rough treatment.

no prob, and i'll do my best.

Why? He was below average the last time he was healthy enough to play a full season, that was 3 years ago, 3 years older, he is coming off of hip surgery and he hasn't looked good so far, apparently. It's not unreasonable to discuss the possibility that he is Reynolds bad defensively at 2B. Talking about it doesn't mean someone thinks it's the most likely outcome, or even a likely outcome.......just a possible one.
I'm not sure you realize how bad Reynolds was. The worst Roberts has been at 2B was -8 DRS, Reynolds 3B -22 DRS.

I don't quite understand the negativity on Roberts......]

I also don't understand the Roberts bashing. Brian was a key member of the O's for a many years, and he remained loyal to the team and the City during that time. Yes, it has been frustrating not having him be able to contribute to the team the last few years, especially considering his contract, but he earned that and deserves a real chance to show what's he's got left in the tank this year. IMO, if healthy, he IS the O's best option at 2nd and probably also leading off. Unfortunately, as soon as he goes 0'fer in a game or isn't perfect, the haters come out in force and say he's done. What about Wieters going 0-3 yesterday? Is anybody questioning him? True O's fans are rooting for Brian and will give him a chance. BUCKle UP!

I don't quite understand the negativity on Roberts......]

I also don't understand the Roberts bashing. Brian was a key member of the O's for a many years, and he remained loyal to the team and the City during that time. Yes, it has been frustrating not having him be able to contribute to the team the last few years, especially considering his contract, but he earned that and deserves a real chance to show what's he's got left in the tank this year. IMO, if healthy, he IS the O's best option at 2nd and probably also leading off. Unfortunately, as soon as he goes 0'fer in a game or isn't perfect, the haters come out in force and say he's done. What about Wieters going 0-3 yesterday? Is anybody questioning him? True O's fans are rooting for Brian and will give him a chance. BUCKle UP!

I think there is a feeling among some that his extension was a mistake because all 2B decline more precipitously than other positions, and he brought his injuries on himself by hitting himself in the helmet with his bat, he doesn't always run hard to 1B, is the only one who doesn't realize what is obvious to everyone else, that he is finished playing baseball, and he is just being selfish to try to keep playing, taking up a roster spot and costing the team money better spent, when if he was truly loyal he would retire. That and in spite of being short he's cute, and women love him. :laughlol:

As someone who sees both sides of this, I don't think many people are "bashing" Roberts. But some of the BRob supporters seem to want to ignore the fact that he is 35 years old now, and that it's been three years since he played a full season. The chances that he will (1) stay healthy for most or all of the year, and (2) play anywhere close to the level he was at in 2009-10, simply aren't that good. I am 100% in favor of giving him the opportunity to show what he can do, but let's take off the orange-colored glasses and admit that BRob faces pretty long odds here.

On the other side of the equation, BRob doesn't have to be that close to his 2009-10 form to help this team.

As someone who sees both sides of this, I don't think many people are "bashing" Roberts. But some of the BRob supporters seem to want to ignore the fact that he is 35 years old now, and that it's been three years since he played a full season. The chances that he will (1) stay healthy for most or all of the year, and (2) play anywhere close to the level he was at in 2009-10, simply aren't that good. I am 100% in favor of giving him the opportunity to show what he can do, but let's take off the orange-colored glasses and admit that BRob faces pretty long odds here.

On the other side of the equation, BRob doesn't have to be that close to his 2009-10 form to help this team.

He needs to come close to his 2006 numbers: .286 .347 .410 .757, 34 2B, 10 HR, 36 SB, 138 G while keeping his defense below -10 RS. That would be great. I have my fingers crossed for him.

This is kinda where I'm at. I don't expect 2013 BRob to be in his prime BRob, but I do expect him to be better than what we had at second base last year.

He wasn't lacking any power today. And because he made a bad throw today he has a terrible throwing arm? You don't need a gun when you're playing second base and inaccuracy can be fixed. And who exactly is he blocking this year?

No. He's had a poor throwing arm since a very bad elbow injury early in his career - probably 15 years ago. It didn't get better when he had his second major injury to that elbow. It's not getting better now that he's 35 years old - unless he's made a deal with a higher evil power than Peter Angelos.

No. He's had a poor throwing arm since a very bad elbow injury early in his career - probably 15 years ago. It didn't get better when he had his second major injury to that elbow. It's not getting better now that he's 35 years old - unless he's made a deal with a higher evil power than Peter Angelos.
This is news. I can only remember one elbow injury, to his left arm. Of course 15 years ago he was in the MiL and I wasn't paying attention to him. As to the acurracy of his arm, he has 21 throwing E's in 5298 chances. That's about 2 a season or one every 252 chances. Is that too many?

His 2005 injury was to his left elbow. He's had no significant injuries to his throwing arm, shoulder, elbow etc. since becoming a major leaguer. The guy has never had a gun but his arm has been perfectly adequate for 2B in the past. Frankly, his arm is the least of my worries. I'm much more concerned with how much ground he can cover at age 35 and how his reflexes will be.

Archived