So how about Brian Roberts today?

markakis8

:rolleyes: Just don't see how anyone can be so sure a healthy Brian Roberts, even at age 35, could possibly approach "total disaster" territory. At worst, we're talking "below league average second baseman". Total disaster = Reynolds playing 3B or Garrett Atkins. What happened to Brian's health over the past few years has been a total disaster. But he's healthy, in shape, and we'll see if he can hit. I'm looking forward to the June "own up, haters" thread.

They told us he was healthy last season when he put up a -1.0 WAR in 17 games. I consider that "total disaster" territory.

I do expect him to be better then that if he makes it out of spring training.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:rolleyes: Just don't see how anyone can be so sure a healthy Brian Roberts, even at age 35, could possibly approach "total disaster" territory. At worst, we're talking "below league average second baseman". Total disaster = Reynolds playing 3B or Garrett Atkins. What happened to Brian's health over the past few years has been a total disaster. But he's healthy, in shape, and we'll see if he can hit. I'm looking forward to the June "own up, haters" thread.

Forget about it, That will never happen. Roberts will make the AS team before those Bozo's eat crow. Nothing makes the haters screech more shrill than the prospect of a piping hot dish of crow in the morning.

:rolleyes: Just don't see how anyone can be so sure a healthy Brian Roberts, even at age 35, could possibly approach "total disaster" territory.

He was a total disaster last year and now he's one year older.

At worst, we're talking "below league average second baseman".

No at worst we're talking he gets 150 AB out of charity before he gets a "groin injury" to stop the bleeding.

Total disaster = Reynolds playing 3B or Garrett Atkins.

Roberts was worse last year than Atkins was in 2010.

What happened to Brian's health over the past few years has been a total disaster. But he's healthy, in shape, and we'll see if he can hit.

He's listed at 175 pounds, which means he was cradling a 174-pound pet rock when they weighed him.

His 2005 injury was to his left elbow. He's had no significant injuries to his throwing arm, shoulder, elbow etc. since becoming a major leaguer. The guy has never had a gun but his arm has been perfectly adequate for 2B in the past. Frankly, his arm is the least of my worries. I'm much more concerned with how much ground he can cover at age 35 and how his reflexes will be.

Fair enough and thank you for the correction, but as someone who has followed the O's for many years, you should know by now that his arm has always been below average, and age more than likely makes it worse, and arm strength matters a lot - especially when you need a double play, and your 2nd baseman can't turn it.

Forget abput it, That will never happen. Roberts will make the AS team before those Bozo's eat crow. Nothing makes the haters screech more shrill than the prospect of a piping hot dish of crow in the morning.

None of us have to eat any crow because we're not the idiots that wanted to PAY THE MAN!!!!!! his terrible contract. Maybe you could go look for the Bozo's (lol) that want to give 4-year deals to 32-year-olds. I believe you'll find their names in one of the Let's Sign Josh Hamilton threads.

This is news. I can only remember one elbow injury, to his left arm. Of course 15 years ago he was in the MiL and I wasn't paying attention to him. As to the acurracy of his arm, he has 21 throwing E's in 5298 chances. That's about 2 a season or one every 252 chances. Is that too many?

He did have an injury to his throwing arm in the early part of his MiL career. I think it was in 2000. To that point, he had played SS in the minors. After the injury they moved him to mostly to 2B.

As someone who sees both sides of this, I don't think many people are "bashing" Roberts. But some of the BRob supporters seem to want to ignore the fact that he is 35 years old now, and that it's been three years since he played a full season. The chances that he will (1) stay healthy for most or all of the year, and (2) play anywhere close to the level he was at in 2009-10, simply aren't that good. I am 100% in favor of giving him the opportunity to show what he can do, but let's take off the orange-colored glasses and admit that BRob faces pretty long odds here.

On the other side of the equation, BRob doesn't have to be that close to his 2009-10 form to help this team.

The odds may be long, but going to the playoffs last year for the first time in 15 years was a long shot too. ESPN still says the O's will finish last this year, but as an O's fan, I choose to leave my orange-colored glasses on, continue drinking my orange kool-aid, and rooting for BRob to be a part of it this year! Then, come October, when we're still playing ball, I'll glady ask the doubters to stay off our bandwagon!

You do realize Roberts last year does not equal a much healthier and in shape Roberts this year, yes? I also stated that his health issues have been a disaster.

Everyone comes in to Spring Training healthier and in the best shape of their life. All the fanboys have a thrill up their leg because he hit two doubles in an exhibition game.

This is a pretty weak rebuttal, my man.

Nope.

We'll just see who's right, I have no problem owning up if I'm wrong - how about you, sir?

What do I care? We're on the internet, only the Asperger's cases are keeping score. I thought the Orioles would win 60 games last year. I don't care enough to inventory every time you or anyone else has been wrong.

I don't even really count Roberts' "season" last year - it was a failure. This year I believe will be different now that his concussions are gone, his other injuries are taken care of, and he's had an offseason to workout properly. Like I said, he may not be an All-Star this year, but I don't see "total disaster" in his future.

How the hell can people do this, it's so dishonest. You can't just ignore a season, and in fact you'd have to ignore three since he hasn't done anything since 2009. And now after taking three years to play 3/4 of a season he's supposed to be better? Granted his 2010 was going to be pretty decent if it wasn't truncated but I think the point is banking on Brian Roberts' health is a bad move.

The odds may be long, but going to the playoffs last year for the first time in 15 years was a long shot too. ESPN still says the O's will finish last this year, but as an O's fan, I choose to leave my orange-colored glasses on, continue drinking my orange kool-aid, and rooting for BRob to be a part of it this year! Then, come October, when we're still playing ball, I'll glady ask the doubters to stay off our bandwagon!

BS. Guys like Frobby were pulling the bandwagon before guys like you decided to get on it.

Fair enough and thank you for the correction, but as someone who has followed the O's for many years, you should know by now that his arm has always been below average, and age more than likely makes it worse, and arm strength matters a lot - especially when you need a double play, and your 2nd baseman can't turn it.

I would agree that Brian has below average arm strength, although relatively few plays at 2B really require a strong arm. There is no doubt that Andino turned the DP better last year than Roberts ever did, but his hit tool is nowhere near Brob's.

BS. Guys like Frobby were pulling the bandwagon before guys like you decided to get on it.

Have you really allowed yourself to get dragged into who's a better fan bs? You're better than that.

Personally, I don't think many of the "doubters" are wrong. B-Rob should be doubted, heavily.

But I also see why people are rooting for him, beyond just being an Oriole.

It boils down to this: Nobody should be counting on Roberts for much; at the same time, he shouldn't be written off yet either.

It's been said we've got six weeks. Let's reevaluate then.

I'll glady ask the doubters to stay off our bandwagon!

You just proved El Gordo's point by conveniently eliminating yourself from any crow-eating based on 4 years ago when he got his contract, rather than based on how he performs this year. The contract is over and done with. The question is: will he be a decent player for the Orioles this year? I wager that he will.

lol, what is his point? I must've missed all the crow-eating from the Roberts advocates.

Everyone comes in to Spring Training healthier and in the best shape of their life. All the fanboys have a thrill up their leg because he hit two doubles in an exhibition game.

Nope.

What do I care? We're on the internet, only the Asperger's cases are keeping score. I thought the Orioles would win 60 games last year. I don't care enough to inventory every time you or anyone else has been wrong.

How the hell can people do this, it's so dishonest. You can't just ignore a season, and in fact you'd have to ignore three since he hasn't done anything since 2009. And now after taking three years to play 3/4 of a season he's supposed to be better? Granted his 2010 was going to be pretty decent if it wasn't truncated but I think the point is banking on Brian Roberts' health is a bad move.

And if Roberts had put up a 310/370/450 line last year in 60 abs you'd be cool using that as his baseline of performance for 2013?

Have you really allowed yourself to get dragged into who's a better fan bs? You're better than that..

When somebody else feels the need to do it, I'll respond in kind.

Personally, I don't think many of the "doubters" are wrong. B-Rob should be doubted, heavily. But I also see why people are rooting for him, beyond just being an Oriole. It boils down to this: Nobody should be counting on Roberts for much; at the same time, he shouldn't be written off yet either. .It's been said we've got six weeks. Let's reevaluate then.

I haven't noted anyone saying we should pull the plug on Roberts now and/or not let it play out in ST. We've carried him on the 40 man roster for 2 seasons now, I think we all want to see it play out. What we don't want (at least what I'm fearfull of) is politics playing into it.

Archived