O's make statement about September 5th. O's Game will not be moved.

Tony-OH

That's a very fair point. Take care of your own first is a reasonable approach. Unfortunately it just seems like a situation were someone was gonna end up unhappy. Like I said its the NFL's own doing. I just tend to believe that MLB could have worked out a solution that would minimize any impact on the O's/White Sox if they were so inclined. I think the benefit and goodwill they would have gotten for doing so here in Baltimore would have outweighed the potential negative.

Perhaps, but what if either the O's or the White Sox end up not winning their division or missing out on a wild card by just a single game. How much good will could potentially be lost from baseball fans in Baltimore and sports fans in Chicago (because I seriously doubt Bears fans who are also White Sox fans give two craps about this) who would then look at this disruption in the schedule as a possible cause of missing out on he playoffs? MLB simply can't do this to their fans ESPECIALLY, IMHO, when there was such an easy fix in the hands of the NFL.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah...now the celebration lasts until the 2nd week! You've been given an extension. Cherish it.

Going back to my earlier point: If we return home from a thorough beatdown at the hands of Denver for Week 2's home opener, it will take a lot of luster off of the festivities. The Broncos will be out for blood after their disheartening loss to the Ravens in the playoffs, and will have all the intangibles on their side, so a big loss for Balt in Week 1 is hardly unlikely.

In this game, the Ravens will likely have to face a rival outside of their division, such as New England or Denver. Given that they only play them once during the 16-game regular season, obviously it's a big deal to get to play that game at home instead of on the road.

The Ravens were 6-2 at home, 4-4 on the road during the season. In 2011, they were 8-0 at home, and 4-4 on the road. They were 7-1 at home in 2010, 5-3 on the road. In 2009, 6-2 at home, 3-5 on the road. In Harbaugh's first year, it was 6-2 at home, 5-3 on the road. So over the past five years, the Ravens are 33-7 at home, 21-19 on the road. So yeah, playing a tough opponent at home is a big deal.

You might be a little confused. We're not losing one of our 8 home games, nor are any of our home/away opponents being changed. The Ravens have to go to Denver in 2013, regardless of whether it's during the Thursday night opener or later in the season. But Denver definitely picks up a few intangibles by hosting the opening game. That's a win that's going to be very difficult for the Ravens to pull off regardless of when it's scheduled, but even more so if it kicks off the NFL season, with the playoff loss as their most recent Broncos memory. Not impossible, but tougher...

In this game, the Ravens will likely have to face a rival outside of their division, such as New England or Denver. Given that they only play them once during the 16-game regular season, obviously it's a big deal to get to play that game at home instead of on the road.

The Ravens were 6-2 at home, 4-4 on the road during the season. In 2011, they were 8-0 at home, and 4-4 on the road. They were 7-1 at home in 2010, 5-3 on the road. In 2009, 6-2 at home, 3-5 on the road. In Harbaugh's first year, it was 6-2 at home, 5-3 on the road. So over the past five years, the Ravens are 33-7 at home, 21-19 on the road. So yeah, playing a tough opponent at home is a big deal.

But those games are already away games. It's not like we were going to play Denver at home. The Ravens are still getting their 8 home games against the opponents already determined.

You might be a little confused. We're not losing one of our 8 home games, nor are any of our home/away opponents being changed. The Ravens have to go to Denver in 2013, regardless of whether it's during the Thursday night opener or later in the season. But Denver definitely picks up a few intangibles by hosting the opening game. That's a win that's going to be very difficult for the Ravens to pull off regardless of when it's scheduled, but even more so if it kicks off the NFL season, with the playoff loss as their most recent Broncos memory. Not impossible, but tougher...
But those games are already away games. It's not like we were going to play Denver at home. The Ravens are still getting their 8 home games against the opponents already determined.
Why not? On Oct 4,2009 and Oct 17,2010 the Ravens played at New England. Is there any reason then Denver or New England can't play in Baltimore two years in a row?

ETA: Denver played in Baltimore Nov 1, 2009 and October 10, 2010.

Why not? On Oct 4,2009 and Oct 17,2010 the Ravens played at New England. Is there any reason then Denver or New England can't play in Baltimore two years in a row?

ETA: Denver played in Baltimore Nov 1, 2009 and October 10, 2010.

Not sure if I understand your question. Yes, the Ravens could, through a quirk in the schedule, end up hosting the Broncos several years in a row. But that's determined well in advance, as soon as the previous year's games are over. There are only 2 flexible games that aren't determined years in advance, and those are set by how you finish the previous year. Here is the Ravens' home/away opponents for 2013, which cannot change regardless of where the Thurs opener takes place:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/gameday/future-opponents.html

The Ravens were never going to host the Broncos in the Thursday night opener, as that MUST be an away game, just because of the way the schedule is set. We would've hosted, most likely, N.E. (or maybe Pitt or GB).

Not sure if I understand your question. Yes, the Ravens could, through a quirk in the schedule, end up hosting the Broncos several years in a row. But that's determined well in advance, as soon as the previous year's games are over. There are only 2 flexible games that aren't determined years in advance, and those are set by how you finish the previous year. Here is the Ravens' home/away opponents for 2013, which cannot change regardless of where the Thurs opener takes place:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/gameday/future-opponents.html

The Ravens were never going to host the Broncos in the Thursday night opener, as that MUST be an away game, just because of the way the schedule is set. We would've hosted, most likely, N.E. (or maybe Pitt or GB).

So. You are saying that Robert Kraft purposely submarined the Ravens celebration?

So. You are saying that Robert Kraft purposely submarined the Ravens celebration?

I'd run with that. It's not the O's fault, it's Goodell and Kraft's fault. Sorry, I'm not buying the "we can't play on Rosh Hashanah" argument. They play on Christmas! Kraft was being an @$$, and Goodell should have had the cojones to tell him that yes, we are playing on Wed. I'm sure TV money was a huge factor too.

Because we're enthusiastic fans, we're being "big babies"?

I invest a lot of money in the Ravens every year. I enjoy each game. But the ultimate goal when training camp opens each summer, the reason I spend all that $$, is the hope of seeing my team win it all. I have a close friend pushing 80 years old, who reminds me anytime my team is close to a championship, to cherish every moment, because we have no idea when it might happen again. I certainly didn't think, back in '83, that it would be at least 30 years before the O's would win again! So, yeah, I'd like the Super Bowl celebration to at least last until the season opener of the following season. I want every bit of pomp and circumstance I can get while we're the champs. These bragging rights don't last for long, so I want to enjoy every second. I would think a passionate sports fan of any sport would understand that.

They won. We won. It happened and nobody can take it away. I got a Super Bowl Champs cap and wear it whenever I hang with my Steeler-fan buddies. I taped the Super Bowl (just like XXXV) and plan to watch it sometime soon. It happened. It was fantastic.

That's the important part, not the pre-fabricated pop stars and fireworks show we would get from the NFL's marketing department. That schlock has nothing whatsoever to do with being a passionate sports fan. Why do you need Katy Perry lip-synching two songs in the parking lot to confirm the Ravens' success?

They won. We won. It happened and nobody can take it away. I got a Super Bowl Champs cap and wear it whenever I hang with my Steeler-fan buddies. I taped the Super Bowl (just like XXXV) and plan to watch it sometime soon. It happened. It was fantastic.

That's the important part, not the pre-fabricated pop stars and fireworks show we would get from the NFL's marketing department. That schlock has nothing whatsoever to do with being a passionate sports fan. Why do you need Katy Perry lip-synching two songs in the parking lot to confirm the Ravens' success?

Yeah. Who needs all that, really? That is the stuff you FF when you can, right?

Also, I am not angry with the NFL for not moving the game to another day either. All that money is what makes it all work. It's their job to be "greedy".

Archived