Jim Johnson Today, 2013

OFFNY

Good job by Jimmy to stay focused and get the job done after Casilla's high throw messed up what could have been a double play.

JIMMY JOHNSON O (vs. YANKEES, 9/09)

IP:. 1 O(SAVE)

H:o 1

R:O 0

BB: 0

SO: 0

Pitches: 16 (10 Strikes, 6 Balls)

2013 ERA: 3.23

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, that 9th inning got...interesting. Casilla botched the easiest DP in the world, they didn't get the call on another DP effort that was as close as can be at 1B, the ump squeezed JJ during Grabderson's at bat, and then Grandy hit a ball that would have been out of the park on a lot of other nights, but the ball wasn't really carrying tonight (and that was to the Yankees' advantage several times previously). It all added up to a pretty stressful save, but I thought JJ had good stuff tonight.

Very stark contrast between Johnson and Hunter tonight. Both came into the game with no outs and nobody on base. Tommy faced three batters and not one was able to put a ball in play. Johnson faced four, and all of them put the ball in play with two of them hitting it right on the screws. Yes, JJ was unlucky that neither grounder resulted in a double play, but he was equally lucky when Granderson just missed a game tying HR that would have likely put a stake through the heart of our season.

Very stark contrast between Johnson and Hunter tonight. Both came into the game with no outs and nobody on base. Tommy faced three batters and not one was able to put a ball in play. Johnson faced four, and all of them put the ball in play with two of them hitting it right on the screws. Yes, JJ was unlucky that neither grounder resulted in a double play, but he was equally lucky when Granderson just missed a game tying HR that would have likely put a stake through the heart of our season.

So wait a second...any time someone hits the ball to the warning track for an out, the pitcher is lucky? Man, there is a ton of luck both FOR and AGAINST the O's this season.

So wait a second...any time someone hits the ball to the warning track for an out, the pitcher is lucky? Man, there is a ton of luck both FOR and AGAINST the O's this season.

Yes, I'd say that involves a fair amount of luck. The main driver of home runs allowed seems to be how many fly balls you allow. If there's a skill in allowing fly balls that are long, but not too long, it's almost impossible to see in the data. If Granderson's fly had been 5' longer or a few degrees towards right field the game was tied. It's hard for me to say that's 100% skill.

Yes, I'd say that involves a fair amount of luck. The main driver of home runs allowed seems to be how many fly balls you allow. If there's a skill in allowing fly balls that are long, but not too long, it's almost impossible to see in the data. If Granderson's fly had been 5' longer or a few degrees towards right field the game was tied. It's hard for me to say that's 100% skill.

My point is, you can say this about EVERY play in baseball.

If Morse grounder had been a foot to the left, its an rbi double instead of a ground out to third.

If Nick's popups to third hit the bat just a fraction of an inch more squarely on the bat, they'd be homer runs instead of pop ups.

See my point?

Of course its luck. The entire game of baseball has some luck involved. Hell, every SPORT has some luck involved.

My point is, you can say this about EVERY play in baseball.

If Morse grounder had been a foot to the left, its an rbi double instead of a ground out to third.

If Nick's popups to third hit the bat just a fraction of an inch more squarely on the bat, they'd be homer runs instead of pop ups.

See my point?

Of course its luck. The entire game of baseball has some luck involved. Hell, every SPORT has some luck involved.

There is no luck in kangaroo boxing. The kangaroo is going to kick ass and take names. They have great jabs and nasty right crosses.

The harder a ball is hit, the less "luck" the hitter needs for that ball to find grass or seats. Johnson came in with the game on the line and let half the guys he faced hit the ball hard. Those haven't been good odds up to now, and they're not good odds going forward. Give me a pitcher who misses bats every time.

OK, but what is your point exactly? Johnson has struck out 7.0 batters per nine innings this year, Hunter 6.9. Johnson has allowed one homer every 12.2 innings, Hunter one every 8.4 innings. So, if your point is that Hunter had a better night than Johnson, then I agree. If your point is that Hunter, on a given night, is more likely to avoid contact or avoid giving up a HR, then I disagree, and so does the evidence. By the way, in his previous appearance, Hunter allowed a homer that could have lost the game for us in the 10th inning, but the offense scored two two-out runs in the bottom of the 10th and bailed him out.

I'm not saying these things to knock Hunter, who has had a good season. I'm just saying he's not exactly invincible, and I don't think the team would be particularly better off if he were the closer instead of Johnson. The difference, if any, would be slight.

Great job Buck, just like Arizona. Momentum shifts and you sabotage us again and bring in JJ. We aren't even ahead! JJ is even worse than normal without a lead! What in the world are you doing?

JJ: thanks for single handily destroying our season.

Archived