Small play by Jones tonight that I didn't like

Frobby

6th inning, Longoria on 1st, nobody out. High fly ball to deep CF, but time to get under it. Jones does his "cruise control" thing, catches it going back on his heels, and Longoria tags at 1st and goes to 2B. It might have happened anyway if Jones had sped back and caught the ball in better throwing position, but I'm not sure the runner would have tried if Jones had hurried back and positioned himself better.

Anyone else think this?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6th inning, Longoria on 1st, nobody out. High fly ball to deep CF, but time to get under it. Jones does his "cruise control" thing, catches it going back on his heels, and Longoria tags at 1st and goes to 2B. It might have happened anyway if Jones had sped back and caught the ball in better throwing position, but I'm not sure the runner would have tried if Jones had hurried back and positioned himself better.

Anyone else think this?

Isn't that the second time in a few days that's happened (a player tagging up at 1st and advancing to 2nd on a flyout to Adam, when he didn't set himself properly to catch the ball and make a throw)?

Isn't that the second time in a few days that's happened (a player tagging up at 1st and advancing to 2nd on a flyout to Adam, when he didn't set himself properly to catch the ball and make a throw)?

Also from my game thread:

No real DH, but that's OK for now, as guys will need at bats or rest if they aren't are being platooned. Lew staying fresh in AAA for stretch run, as is Calvary.:D

Believe AJ needs some rest or in as DH etc. to keep focus, health. Same w/Matty and Nicky. How about Manny - has he missed an inning yet? Do we have another Iron Man? :scratchchinhmm::scratchchinhmm:So many similarities.

Baseball is a funny game - Guys could stop dropping like flies (ask the Yanks/Phils) or get hot - C. Davis, Ryan, Nolan...... Chen, Gonzo, Jake, Pedro. :2yay-thumb::2yay-thumb:

Buck remembers his 5 p's. Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance. :)

For a guy with a great arm, he doesn't throw too many guys out on the bases. I think there was another tag like the one you're talking about where a good throw would have gotten the runner at 2B but the throw was wide towards the 1B side of the bag.

Actually I was more irritated by this play - I thought he turned the wrong way. Thought he should've spun around and thrown it.

For a guy with a great arm, he doesn't throw too many guys out on the bases. I think there was another tag like the one you're talking about where a good throw would have gotten the runner at 2B but the throw was wide towards the 1B side of the bag.

Last season the assist leader (CF) had 10, Jones had 7. Fourth best in baseball. It's not like he never throws anyone out.

6th inning, Longoria on 1st, nobody out. High fly ball to deep CF, but time to get under it. Jones does his "cruise control" thing, catches it going back on his heels, and Longoria tags at 1st and goes to 2B.
I think there was another tag like the one you're talking about where a good throw would have gotten the runner at 2B but the throw was wide towards the 1B side of the bag.

I was at the game, so I had a different perspective than those watching on TV. I don't think there was any way for Jones to make either play above.

On the first one it would have been near impossible to get behind the ball enough to get momentum forward. Even then it's a long throw back into 2nd base.

On the second play I actually commented to my friend that Jones did a great job making that play as close as it was. I personally didn't think he turned the wrong way.

Matt Joyce ran a long single into a double off of Jones. I thought that even before the announcer said Joyce was headed for second that Jones was not hustling to the ball. Joyce saw this and went for the extra base. The throw came in weak and off-target, dragging Hardy a few steps to the first-base side of second; even Bordick commented that, had the throw been decent, Joyce wd have been out. But if Jones hadn't been so slow to the hit he wouldn't have even tried in the first place. I just don't get what's up with Adam's lackadaisical fielding.

I was at the game, so I had a different perspective than those watching on TV. I don't think there was any way for Jones to make either play above.

On the first one it would have been near impossible to get behind the ball enough to get momentum forward. Even then it's a long throw back into 2nd base.

On the second play I actually commented to my friend that Jones did a great job making that play as close as it was. I personally didn't think he turned the wrong way.

The eyes have it.

Matt Joyce ran a long single into a double off of Jones. I thought that even before the announcer said Joyce was headed for second that Jones was not hustling to the ball. Joyce saw this and went for the extra base. The throw came in weak and off-target, dragging Hardy a few steps to the first-base side of second; even Bordick commented that, had the throw been decent, Joyce wd have been out. But if Jones hadn't been so slow to the hit he wouldn't have even tried in the first place. I just don't get what's up with Adam's lackadaisical fielding.

I 100% disagree with this. Jones was running hard for that ball the whole time. The ball was to his glove side and he had to throw against his momentum. I thought he hustled to cut the ball off and made a very good throw considering where it was hit.

I 100% disagree with this. Jones was running hard for that ball the whole time. The ball was to his glove side and he had to throw against his momentum. I thought he hustled to cut the ball off and made a very good throw considering where it was hit.

I vaguely remember this one, and recall not being that surprised that Joyce ended up at second. It's not like extra bases were inconceivable(!) given the location. To give an opinion on whether it was Jones' fault, I'd have to see the play again. Oh well. As for the OP play, not sure whether he could have done worlds better.

Agree 100%

Archived