• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would you remove their names from the list? Will they be gone before the O's pick?

Boldt is injured and only played in one and a half games this spring. He's on crutches until July. Will be a target for teams with extra picks and extra money, but I can't fathom someone is going to pop him with their first pick based almost entirely off of what they saw last summer and during some indoor BP sessions this winter in Minnesota with his hitting club (though he looked pretty good there, and has put on some muscle).

Mercado has has been really bad this spring. Hit under .290, no power, sloppy in the field. I could see someone using an extra pick on him, or popping him in the second. But again, it would be a shock to see him popped with someone's first pick. Maybe if he shows really well in workouts and at the big Florida high school all star game...?

Boldt is injured and only played in one and a half games this spring. He's on crutches until July. Will be a target for teams with extra picks and extra money, but I can't fathom someone is going to pop him with their first pick based almost entirely off of what they saw last summer and during some indoor BP sessions this winter in Minnesota with his hitting club (though he looked pretty good there, and has put on some muscle).

Mercado has has been really bad this spring. Hit under .290, no power, sloppy in the field. I could see someone using an extra pick on him, or popping him in the second. But again, it would be a shock to see him popped with someone's first pick. Maybe if he shows really well in workouts and at the big Florida high school all star game...?

Nice to have this info here. Thanks

Nice to have this info here. Thanks

Thanks! As an aside, I'll say the less traffic readers/posters give to sites that are blatantly faking it, the better your overall draft discussion will be. There is so much interesting stuff to talk about when it comes to amateur players and the draft process, it's a shame there is so much bad info out there to send convos down the wrong road.

I'll try to poke in from here to draft day but will be pretty bogged down between BP stuff and the new baby. Always feel free, Michael, to shoot me a text or email if you're looking for info. And, of course, the whole BP prospect team is always available to do interviews or whatever if you're ever looking for something like that.

More mocks:

Keith Law's ESPN Insider mock listed the Orioles as taking RHP Devin Williams, and listed OF Aaron Judge and RHP Rob Kaminsky as players the Orioles had reported interest in.

Jonathan Mayo's mock at MLB.com had the Orioles taking LHP Marco Gonzales. Everything I've read about Gonzales reports him as a low risk low reward guy. He's very advanced as it is and could enter a team's rotation as early as next year reportedly. Doesn't have a huge ceiling though.

For whatever it's worth, I'm digging Aaron Judge at the moment. Though Marco Gonzales and Devin Williams appeal to me as well.

Thanks! As an aside, I'll say the less traffic readers/posters give to sites that are blatantly faking it, the better your overall draft discussion will be. There is so much interesting stuff to talk about when it comes to amateur players and the draft process, it's a shame there is so much bad info out there to send convos down the wrong road.

I'll try to poke in from here to draft day but will be pretty bogged down between BP stuff and the new baby. Always feel free, Michael, to shoot me a text or email if you're looking for info. And, of course, the whole BP prospect team is always available to do interviews or whatever if you're ever looking for something like that.

Outstanding. I would be interested. Thank you.

What about Bobby Wahl at #22? If he is there.

There should be some interesting college arms at #22. I'm not a fan of Eades' medical history nor his delivery though.

Then, maybe pick up a high school bat, perhaps a Cord Sandberg, with #37. Then maybe Blake Taylor (LHP) with #61.

Baseball America today has a revised mock draft.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/jim-callis-2013-mock-draft-2-0/

PROJECTED PICK: Alex Balog (Mock Draft 1.0: Nick Ciuffo).

Interesting. Nik's younger brother. Callis mentions that apparently Balog has passed Anderson and Crawford for many teams. I knew Alex Gonzalez had been steadily moving up on teams boards but this is the first time all year I've seen Balog mentioned as a 1st rounder.

From what I've read, he has the size and stuff but his performance has been very inconsistent for San Francisco this year. I was curious, Stotle, what your thoughts are on Balog?

Interesting. Nik's younger brother. Callis mentions that apparently Balog has passed Anderson and Crawford for many teams. I knew Alex Gonzalez had been steadily moving up on teams boards but this is the first time all year I've seen Balog mentioned as a 1st rounder.

From what I've read, he has the size and stuff but his performance has been very inconsistent for San Francisco this year. I was curious, Stotle, what your thoughts are on Balog?

Saw him in March -- he was very, very bad. Have heard he's thrown better over the last month, but he was below average across the board for me. Velo dropped off heavily by third inning. Didn't command anything well. Was hit very hard. Would be tough for me to shake the showing out of my head, but part of what made it so disappointing is that all of us there knew how good he looked in the fall. Here's video from that start -- a bunch of evaluators left early, and two front office guys from AL teams said he lost a lot of money that day. We'll see how high he ends up getting popped:

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wGV5W9QJKI?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wGV5W9QJKI?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Saw him in March -- he was very, very bad. Have heard he's thrown better over the last month, but he was below average across the board for me. Velo dropped off heavily by third inning. Didn't command anything well. Was hit very hard. Would be tough for me to shake the showing out of my head, but part of what made it so disappointing is that all of us there knew how good he looked in the fall. Here's video from that start -- a bunch of evaluators left early, and two front office guys from AL teams said he lost a lot of money that day. We'll see how high he ends up getting popped:

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wGV5W9QJKI?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wGV5W9QJKI?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Appreciate the first hand account. Thanks.

I haven't seen any mock drafts that have Devin Williams in the 1st round. I had never heard of him. I wonder if he's someone who they could go after with that 37th pick. Latest MLB mock has them picking Eric Jagielo, 3B, Notre Dame with the 22nd pick. I really have no idea who they should pick but I'd like to see a hitter with the 22nd pick and then maybe a pitcher like Williams, if he's there, at 37.

Baseball America and MLB's lists are very different. BA has Jagielo rated 16 and Williams at 43. MLB has Jagielo at 37 and Williams is not listed in their top 100.

Keith Law's ESPN Insider Mock had Devin Williams going to Detroit at 20 overall. He had the Orioles taking Josh Hart, a high school OF who sounds a lot like McLouth.

My preferences are Aaron Judge, Austin Wilson, Marco Gonzales, and Eric Jagielo in that order.

Devin Williams

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j3Lt0Gps3k?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j3Lt0Gps3k?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Archived