Is Wieters a disappointment?

Bradysburns

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, that Matt Wieters...the one who looks awful at the plate...the one you know is going to hit that lazy fly ball to left field and then hang his head down low as soon as the ball touches the bat, because even Matt knows it's an out...the one who you'd never want to bat in a key situation (like tonight) because he rarely hits the ball out of the infield. I wish someone in this organization would help this guy learn how to hit major league pitching, because it's painful to watch him hit, er, I mean not hit, night after night.

Blasphemy! How dare you denegrate the best catcher in the game and one who will go down as the best catcher of all time!

Welcome to the club. :beerchug1:

Wow, IMO pretty baseless and gutless OP...Just the lack of respect for Matt for what he is and not what he unreasonably is supposed to be in your wildest imagination...

Let me guess...you'll be satisfied when Matt simultaneously hit homers from both sides of the plate while throwing out someone at 2nd, right?

I think Buck makes him catch too many games and he gets worn down. Matt should DJ a couple of times a week.

This. It was 90+ out there tonight and he had to have been worn down by the 9th. I definitely got frustrated with that AB in the 9th, but the more I think about it, the more I understand the fatigue that had to have set in.

I love Matt but the there are a couple of problems with relying on him in the clutch. One, any ground ball with a runner on first is likely to be a double play.

That's one reason i can forgive Matt's pop-up tonight. He knows a ground ball us bad news, so he overcompensated a little. Ditto Hardy.

DD has a difficult decision ahead of him. Matt is a bHeloved teammate and a core player for this team. However, I don't believe he's worth a huge contract. So, where do we go from here?

He's very core. I try to extend him and if I can't, I still hold onto him until July 2015 and only trade him if we're out of it and we get good value. Otherwise he gets a qualifying offer and we get a draft pick if he leaves.

I think Buck makes him catch too many games and he gets worn down. Matt should DJ a couple of times a week.

Wieters takes on quite enough catching, thank you very much. Suggesting he should now spin records in his spare time is pushing it. Don't you think?

Do we even know if he's a good DJ? And who still has vinyl?

scOtt, don't answer.

It's a shame this topic isn't talked about more. What's it been a whole week? Matt is everyone's favorite whipping boy here.

Well yes, but what kind of fans would they be otherwise? Matt has a career BA of .258. Not what you'd expect from a top five pick. I'm NOT condoning bashing anyone on this team, but it's safe to assume Matt is not (yet) the savior many thought he would be at this point. Harder to accept when Adam Jones and Chris Davis have become great hitters during the same time. Matt is definitely a Major Asset to this team, and that's why it hurts to see him struggle. And some would even argue that "struggle" isn't the best word, and that's fine. No matter, Matt is a much better hitter than he's showing lately, but my conviction is not as strong anymore. It's a normal reaction for fans to feel this way after 5+ years.

To be fair, I think that speaks more to the weak crop of catchers in not only the AL, but in MLB in general.

Do you really believe that the average catcher from the past hit better than the current group? I doubt if there's much difference. There's always going to be a few outlying hitting stars, but historically catchers don't hit well - most don't put together a .700+ OPS. For perspective, during much of the Oriole "glory" years, our main catchers were Andy Etchebarren and Elrod Hendricks, who had career OPS's of .648 and .666, well below Wieters' career .748 or this year's .721. (And the last two years he's been at .778 and .764. These are excellent numbers for a catcher, and really for anyone who's not a corner infielder or outfielder.) As Frobbie pointed out, we're lucky to have a catcher who hits like an average major league player, and is above average for a catcher - on top of his defense.

The timing of this thread is a little strange to me. I'm sure as hell going to soak in the joy of this game. Why go out of your way to find something to complain about? God knows we'll have plenty of opportunities to gripe. Even if we win 93 games we'll still have 69 others to gnash our teeth over. Winning isn't easy. Enjoy the moment. Geez!

The timing of this thread is a little strange to me. I'm sure as hell going to soak in the joy of this game. Why go out of your way to find something to complain about? God knows we'll have plenty of opportunities to gripe. Even if we win 93 games we'll still have 69 others to gnash our teeth over. Winning isn't easy. Enjoy the moment. Geez!

I will tell you why. Because alot of people are miserable. They hate their life. They hate that they don't have a girlfriend, whatever. So they bring the hate because they want everyone else to feel their pain. I was that person once.

The OP is in pain.

Archived