Navarro sent to the Tides

oriolesfan50

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Except that with Flaherty in the lineup you're essentially going by NL rules, with a .100 "hitter" killing the offense.

I strenuously object to this idea that you can carry a flat-out zero bat for months, but a slightly shaky glove gets you demoted after a week. It's management by emotion. Navarro's glove might have cost the team a run or three, while Flaherty's bat was (and may continue to be) over-the-top terrible. His .286 OBP in Norfolk is another indication he's not a MLB hitter.

Yeah, he has no idea what a breaking pitch looks like coming out of a pitcher's hand. I don't expect him to hit over .200, starting from scratch.

Cary answered the need. Dude is 6'4 with hops. It helps the pitchers.

Maybe the O's can sign some division 2 power forwards and teach them how to play middle infield? Those guys run 6'6"-6'8" and can dunk no problem.

They should be naturals for the type of defense Buck evidently favors.

If they get lucky maybe they can manage a 286 OBP at Norfolk after six years in professional ball.

Except that with Flaherty in the lineup you're essentially going by NL rules, with a .100 "hitter" killing the offense.

I strenuously object to this idea that you can carry a flat-out zero bat for months, but a slightly shaky glove gets you demoted after a week. It's management by emotion. Navarro's glove might have cost the team a run or three, while Flaherty's bat was (and may continue to be) over-the-top terrible. His .286 OBP in Norfolk is another indication he's not a MLB hitter.

Well Navarro's mediocre offense was inflated by a .400 BABIP. I'm not excited about seeing Flaherty in the lineup either though.

Honestly, I'd like to see more of Casilla. He's the best of the three.

I think Flaherty will be much better. He started off really slow last year too. But he had a .773 OPS after the All Star break, and an OPS over .950 from July-September (granted if was only 60 ABs).

Then why not keep him in Norfolk (now that you can) until he starts showing that type of ability?

Exactly; we're bringing back a guy who's done absolutely nothing during his brief demotion to make anyone reasonably believe he'll be anything more than he's been so far in Baltimore: the worst hitter in MLB. Somebody please remind Buck that Flaherty's been *historically* bad in 2013. Like, top-3-worst in the last 25 years of MLB bad. Bad. Baaaaaaaaaaad.

But how many games have the O's lost by a run or two while Flaherty went 0-for-4?

Nothing Navarro has shown tells me we would have had a better chance with him batting instead of Flaherty. Navarro probably would have costed us a game or so with his defense though.

Archived