Navarro sent to the Tides

oriolesfan50

Maybe Navarro can't bunt. Haha.. Buck always says "don't send me up a guy that can't bunt."

Then it's Casilla he wd have shipped out. (Actually, it does seem like Casilla is in Buck's doghouse as well, for whatever reasons.)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'm not surprised by this. Along with Navarro's defense (or lack thereof), I don't think his "bail and flail" approach at the plate was going to continue to yield positive results. I think it's a case of looks bad probably means bad. Not that Flaherty is any great option, I'd just lean towards him myself at this point. Considering their confidence level with Casilla, we probably need to make a move soon here.

He's OLD. He was older playing A- ball then Machado is now. Markakis put up a 799 OPS in the majors at 22, Flaherty was at A ball. You must heavily discount minor league production when adjusting for age.

I see your point, but those are not fair comparisons. No one is expecting Flaherty to match Machado or Markakis's production at the plate. Also, he's 26, not 30 (and just 1 year older than Navarro)

The point of my post was not saying that he will blossom into an all-star 2B, but that calling him an "F- or 500 OPS hitter" is unreasonable at this point.

He's OLD. He was older playing A- ball then Machado is now. Markakis put up a 799 OPS in the majors at 22, Flaherty was at A ball. You must heavily discount minor league production when adjusting for age.

He's old but he hasn't really had significant development time at AA/AAA (partly due to injury). Last year and this year also haven't done him any favors.

Navarro was in Buck's doghouse before he got here. Probably because Buck never wanted Flaherty sent out. Navarro's miscues on defense just heightened Buck's negative feelings (from ST?) towards him. Casilla is in the doghouse because 1) he missed a suicide squeeze 2) failed on at least 2 sac bunts 3) screwed up a rundown play 4) screwed up the passed ball/ throw to second/ runner scores from 3rd play last week. Apparently, Flaherty is in good standing. lol

Yeah, that's a great list of flubs by Casilla. He's been very disappointing--I think a lot of us had assumed he was at least going to be a significant improvement over Andino, and he hasn't. I guess with the B-Rob question unresolved and Schoop possibly on the horizon, the O's can't really justify the cost of acquiring someone who's going to definitely be a top-flight second baseman. Glad it's not the team's main problem, which, of course, is pitching.

I see your point, but those are not fair comparisons. No one is expecting Flaherty to match Machado or Markakis's production at the plate. Also, he's 26, not 30 (and just 1 year older than Navarro)

The point of my post was not saying that he will blossom into an all-star 2B, but that calling him an "F- or 500 OPS hitter" is unreasonable at this point.

Feel free to compare him to Davis, Hardy, Machado, Markakis, Jones or Wieters. All six of them had substantially more success at a much younger age.

I don't see where it is unreasonable to call someone with a career 559 OPS a 500 OPS hitter.

Navarro did seem to let it fly but he also seemed to be able to recognize offspeed pitches and had some good AB's even when he didn't get a hit. At this point, I think Navarro is a better hitter to have up there with a man on 3rd and one out (even though he failed last night) or a man on 2nd and 2 outs, than Flaherty. Talking about bail and flail, Flaherty has looked like the only thing on his mind sine April has been the long ball. Even at Norfolk, that seems to have been his approach.

Well, it's true that Navarro showed the better ability to put the bat on the ball. Fundamentally, I think Flaherty is a better hitter, but I'm not going to argue over his pretty obvious deficiencies. Neither is anywhere near a good choice.

I cannot believe I am saying this, but I miss Brian Roberts and Robert Andino.

Maybe we sign Andino? If all these people are in the dog house, why keep them? Let them go elsewhere. I am really shocked Navarro was sent down so soon. What the heck. Flaherty so soon? Really? Geesh.

Feel free to compare him to Davis, Hardy, Machado, Markakis, Jones or Wieters. All six of them had substantially more success at a much younger age.

I don't see where it is unreasonable to call someone with a career 559 OPS a 500 OPS hitter.

Shall we debate in circles? The first post you responded to clearly said he has a TOTAL of 269 PA in the majors. If you can honestly call that a "career", then by all means call away.

Shall we debate in circles? The first post you responded to clearly said he has a TOTAL of 269 PA in the majors. If you can honestly call that a "career", then by all means call away.

I didn't call it a "career" Baseball Reference did. :D

You use the information you have available.

Flaherty has had 90 ABs so far. Right around that point last year, he finished the season with an OPS over .900. I really like him. He's good defensively, and has shown he can hit (end of last year). Hopefully he can turn it around and find his form from the end of last year.

Also, I really did not like Navarro. He was terrible defensively, and although his average was better he looked worse than Flaherty at the plate more often than not.

Flaherty has had 90 ABs so far. Right around that point last year, he finished the season with an OPS over .900. I really like him. He's good defensively, and has shown he can hit (end of last year). Hopefully he can turn it around and find his form from the end of last year.

Also, I really did not like Navarro. He was terrible defensively, and although his average was better he looked worse than Flaherty at the plate more often than not.

I question how clearly you remember Flaherty's at bats.

Archived