Assault at Orioles game sends man to intensive care

Going Underground

The only thing I want to add:

I'm sure the Yankees hat brought the initial insults/comments on. I'm also willing to be that the two idiots didn't just keep ribbing a guy that ignored them. In situations like this, 99 out of 100 times (Maybe this was that 1 time) people egg someone on because they are looking for a reaction/confrontation. Ignore them and you're probably going to diffuse a situation that could escalate like this one did.

I feel like theres some more to this story... Maybe why the Orioles haven't released much of a statement?

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm all ears. More likely they kept ribbing him until there was a reaction.

Its hard to say. Ive seen many instances of people trying to get under someone's skin at a baseball/football game. If you don't give the instigator the reaction they are trying to get, it normally stops.

There's a lot of "assuming" and trying to figure out what happened in this situation. I'm just thinking this entire incident might have been a little more two sided than originally thought. Someone that climbs a wall/railing to go confront two people that apparently have been harassing him all game, might not have been making the best decision in regards to handling the situation as soon as it started.

As I've stated before, most importantly is this guys health. The next most important thing is how to prevent this from happening. Changing hats won't do it. Maybe flash the text # more often? More vigilant ushers, police?

Its hard to say. Ive seen many instances of people trying to get under someone's skin at a baseball/football game. If you don't give the instigator the reaction they are trying to get, it normally stops.

There's a lot of "assuming" and trying to figure out what happened in this situation. I'm just thinking this entire incident might have been a little more two sided than originally thought. Someone that climbs a wall/railing to go confront two people that apparently have been harassing him all game, might not have been making the best decision in regards to handling the situation as soon as it started.

As I've stated before, most importantly is this guys health. The next most important thing is how to prevent this from happening. Changing hats won't do it. Maybe flash the text # more often? More vigilant ushers, police?

In my opinion, that text number should be prominently advertised at all times so people can see it from the seating bowl.

Originally Posted by El Gordo

I think all this neutral game stuff is a bit ridiculous. If I wear an O's hat to a Yankees Red Sox game I am a lot a safer than if I wear a Yankees or a Red Sox hat, even though I'm an Orioles fan. Maybe I should have a hat for every team in the ML so I can always be safe from drunken idiots. There are a lot of things that will provoke a drunken idiot, a MFY hat at OPACY during an O's DET game, only one of them. I am not going through a check list before I go to a game to make sure I am not offending any drunken idiots. Maybe they're Hispaniphobes so I shouldn't wear my guayabera. Might be Homophobes, better not wear purple. And just what would constitute neutral attire at a baseball game?

Originally Posted by Skee-Ball

This x 400 billion.

4 billion (and) 1.

Anything can be stretched to such an extreme that it is absurd. All that is being said is to realize that when in a stadium you are entering an area full of alcohol fueled machismo, tribal alliances (teams) and a supervisory force that is less than adequate to deal with any situation beyond the most simplistic. You don't have to sit at the game like a fossilized log and not express any support, but realize that under duress to keep cool and use your best judgement in what you wear, say, etc. (i.e. don't be stupid)

I think all this neutral game stuff is a bit ridiculous. If I wear an O's hat to a Yankees Red Sox game I am a lot a safer than if I wear a Yankees or a Red Sox hat, even though I'm an Orioles fan. Maybe I should have a hat for every team in the ML so I can always be safe from drunken idiots. There are a lot of things that will provoke a drunken idiot, a MFY hat at OPACY during an O's DET game, only one of them. I am not going through a check list before I go to a game to make sure I am not offending any drunken idiots. Maybe they're Hispaniphobes so I shouldn't wear my guayabera. Might be Homophobes, better not wear purple. And just what would constitute neutral attire at a baseball game?

Can always count on you for hyperbole. This is a truly asinine post. Bravo.

There is no reason to call an opposing view point ridiculous. I have yet to degrade anyone's opinion in this matter. I believe some don't get my point, and some disagree with it. I'm fine if anyone has a differing view point but once we start throwing around ridiculous to describe another's valid viewpoint you start degrading the poster. No reason for it and you should apologize.

Sorry, but yesterday, you said I was struggling to "comprehend" your POV or that maybe I was just being "obtuse"; you know, I was being kind of "slow on the uptake".

Bottom line is that simply wearing a cap to a stadium shouldn't cause a physical confrontation. In reviewing the thread, it would appear that the majority of responders share the same view as I do.

You think it's okay for NYY fans to wear their gear during games in which the Yankees are playing the O's at CY. But when the same fan wears the Yankees cap to a "neutral" game at CY he is should expect potential trouble and by wearing that hat during a neutral contest he is signaling a big "F-You", as you put it, to Orioles fans. Sorry. That doesn't correlate.

I know you rule the roost here and I am respectfully disagreeing with you, but I'm simply suggesting that your POV seems to be in the minority on this particular issue with those that have chosen to reply.

Bottom line is that simply wearing a cap to a stadium shouldn't cause a physical confrontation. In reviewing the thread, it would appear that the majority of responders share the same view as I do.

Well of course it shouldn't. I think everyone agrees with that. But the fact remains that it did.

In my opinion, that text number should be prominently advertised at all times so people can see it from the seating bowl.

I agree. You tend to see those numbers displayed more openly at football games, because, in my opinion, you usually see more altercations at those games. Just a different type of crowd. But why not just be safe and display it a little more?

I agree. You tend to see those numbers displayed more openly at football games, because, in my opinion, you usually see more altercations at those games. Just a different type of crowd. But why not just be safe and display it a little more?

Permanent signs displayed in many places would help.

Ommaculate comes out and makes an obnoxious, incendiary comment toward OFFNY for no good reason.

Who knows, maybe you'll get mugged or killed for no good reason sometime in the near future.

Same to you, mister.

You think my comment was negative? I was showing concern for your wellbeing.

Also, keep in mind that there were dozens of other people sitting nearby who saw the whole thing developing over 7 innings and chose not to do anything. Lots of lost opportunities.

This. I wrote on this. I like to think I would've dropped a dime long before. That fact that it was allowed to get to this point is a shame. A damn horrible shame.

At the end of that day it was a tragic end to a series of events that could've been prevented except we don't usually think of the worst possible consequences of these situations.

Frankly I think the orioles need to address this somehow. Especially when the Yankees are in town next. I'm talking full on moment of silence for this kid and a reminder that we are all responsible for keeping the stadium a safe and fun place.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OFFNY says he goes to Yankees games in his O's gear and he has been harassed before. Who knows maybe next time it will be a beatdown.

If you've ever seen him, to say OFFNY goes to Yankees games in his O's gear is an understatement. He's dressed like a road show Orioles Bird. I give him a lot of credit. In the military he'd warrant a CIB or something. He's a true fan and not afraid to express his fandom. Nor should he be.

Archived