Rosenthal: Bedard to Mariners 1 player from completion

8ripken2131

Is it farfetched to think that Walker or Sherrill could bring more in value in a trade than Chen? I don't believe so, that is why I would want Sherrill in a heartbeat over Chen.

I think people are looking at the reality of truly rebuilding (with the goal a team capable of competing for championships) with one eye open and then losing focus with the other eye and thinking of next season and what the lineup will look like.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Triunfel and Tillman are NOT that far away. Both should probably start at AA. A strong year from either probably means a top 50 overall rating, IMO.

I like the names we are discussing a lot. Now that we have moved past Morrow, we should be able to get some of these younger prospects.

This article is the most encouraging information in some time to me though I know some insiders have insisted Triunfel is not in the deal. I like Sherrill since he can probably be flipped for two good prospects if he keeps up last year's production and he's cheap. My opinion all along, however, has been that the hit to the Seattle bp if Sherrill is traded and Morrow moves to the rotation would be too much - especially as the Ms would be building to win now.

If we can't Clement, Morrow or Sherrill, we should have a shot at both Triunfel and Tillman.

Jones

Clement

Triunfel/Tillman

Chen

This seems to be the best deal for us.

It would be wonderful either way, but even better with Triunfel. Tillman and Triunfel are not equivalent. Tillman is a pitcher, and therefore much less projectable. On that basis alone Triunfel has a better chance of being a solid ML player, notwithstanding Tillman's age and slightly greater experience.

But the difference goes beyond that. I'd guess that there are at least a dozen 19-20 YO pitchers with tools and upside and an overall profile more or less equivalent to Tillman. Even within the M's system there is Butler who profiles very similarly. Furthermore every year there are others more or less equivalent.

But I doubt that there is anybody else right now really equivalent to Triunfel. A solid half-season at High A while he was still well short of his 18th birthday... almost nobody does that.

Nothing against Tillman, who could well turn out to be really good. But at this point it is not a six-of-one, half-a-dozen-of-the-other situation. Not even close IMO.

In Churchill's comments he says the Orioles have moved closer but not necessarily the Mariners. It's not imminent by any means. I'm guessing this means because we dropped our Morrow demand, things are progressing now, where they were at a standstill.

He hopes that the fact that the M's were willing to include Triunfel is just posturing and the source that gave him the info isn't in the M's organization but he's never been wrong on this stuff. So take that for what it's worth...

We should take a Jones, Triunfel and Tillman deal and run. Jones is the next Torii Hunter and Triunfel could be the next Tejada. Tillman also has good upside. There is some risk to this deal but this could pay off big time...

Like the optimism..but don't you think that's a bit over the top? To say Triunfel, at age 17, is the next Tejada is quite a hyperbole. Tejada has been certainly the most durable players in the game up until the HBP and one of the most productive SS in the majors for quite some time now.

Like the optimism..but don't you think that's a bit over the top? To say Triunfel, at age 17, is the next Tejada is quite a hyperbole. Tejada has been certainly the most durable players in the game up until the HBP and one of the most productive SS in the majors for quite some time now.

Well at least with the bat anyway. He'll have to shift over to third base but you have to read this article to know why some of us are drooling over the prospect of acquiring this guy. Here's an excerpt:

Carlos Triunfel can play. His bat will carry him, but he profiles as a pretty good third baseman who could also fit at second or a corner outfield spot. His arm is among the best in the system, if not the best, and his natural instincts at the plate and in the field grade very high across the board.

He has great reactions, quick wrists and forceful swing that may result in big time power at the big-league level. He’s been tabbed ‘Baby Tejada’, due to his offensive tools, though there are those who think it’s a bad comparison.

“I don’t really think that’s a good one,” said the scout of the comp to Miguel Tejada, former AL MVP. “I think it’s a compliment, of course, but enough of one when you are talking about ceiling potential. Tejada’s average year in his prime seasons might not be good enough for this kid. We’ll see.”

http://prospectinsider.com/?p=58

He has great reactions, quick wrists and forceful swing that may result in big time power at the big-league level. He’s been tabbed ‘Baby Tejada’, due to his offensive tools, though there are those who think it’s a bad comparison.

Did you know they call Victor Diaz "Baby Manny"?

Manny Ramirez career = .313/.409/.593 (1.002 OPS)

Victor Diaz career = .256/.309/.487 (.796 OPS)

Well at least with the bat anyway. He'll have to shift over to third base but you have to read this article to know why some of us are drooling over the prospect of acquiring this guy. Here's an excerpt:

Carlos Triunfel can play. His bat will carry him, but he profiles as a pretty good third baseman who could also fit at second or a corner outfield spot. His arm is among the best in the system, if not the best, and his natural instincts at the plate and in the field grade very high across the board.

“I don’t really think that’s a good one,” said the scout of the comp to Miguel Tejada, former AL MVP. “I think it’s a compliment, of course, but enough of one when you are talking about ceiling potential. Tejada’s average year in his prime seasons might not be good enough for this kid. We’ll see.”

Actually, I have seen that article in another thread somewhere around here.

Trust me, I'm not doubting his talent, because from the sound of it, that's not the issue. But to trade Bedard for Jones, Triunfel, and Tillman is a pretty big risk despite their talent, but because of their age.

I think someone else said it pretty well earlier....Triunfel would be a good 3rd piece to a deal, not a 2nd. I think if we're trading Bedard we need to get two major league ready guys. I.e. Jones and Clement.

most important part of that article

Reds Falling For It?

I am hearing that the Cincinnati Reds might be falling for this "M's-Orioles Trade Talks Heating Up" thing and might have internally agreed to include Homer Bailey, Joey Votto, Johnny Cueto and a fourth player, possibly a young player from their 25-man roster.

I think Bigbird said he heard we may actually be asking for a 5th guy. So if we're trying to get Trunfiel and Tillman, and no clement in the deal, maybe that is why AM wants a 5th guy since those two above are further away.

We should take a Jones, Triunfel and Tillman deal and run. Jones is the next Torii Hunter and Triunfel could be the next Tejada. Tillman also has good upside. There is some risk to this deal but this could pay off big time...

There is indeed some risk... far too much for MacPhail, I suspect.

I can't imagine him dealing Bedard and coming away with a package of players that have a grand total of 65 ML ABs and 0 IP between them, and only one of whom figures to contribute at the bigleague level in the immediate term.

Whether you agree or disagree, it's just not MacPhail's style.

There is indeed some risk... far too much for MacPhail, I suspect.

I can't imagine him dealing Bedard and coming away with a package of players that have a grand total of 65 ML ABs and 0 IP between them, and only one of whom figures to contribute at the bigleague level in the immediate term.

Whether you agree or disagree, it's just not MacPhail's style.

So you think he'd rather have Jones, Clement, Tillman and Sherrill. Considering he is trying to get a 5th player I would say that might be Chen...

Quick question...

Considering that it looks like you guys will be adding 5-6 players to the 40 man roster once the Bedard and Roberts deals go down... who do you think is going to come off of it? Are there really that many guys you can just DFA?

Archived