A-Roid offered a deal to avoid a lifetime ban

Aglets

Of course, his lawyer, when talking to the press, would say don't accept any suspension.

You might very well be on target will all of this but either way his lawyer isn't going to admit on the Today show that he advised Arod to take a deal if offered.

Hopefully, we'll see how it works out sooner than later.

As for his using steroids (a question that Rodriguez has never answered as his suspension was being put together and his appeal being formulated) yesterday Tacopina was on CNN and was asked the question. His answer was that Rodriguez had “absolutely not” taken illegal PEDs recently and challenged the notion that MLB possesses any evidence to the contrary.

What an odd and interesting choice of words in his statement. Rodriguez had not taken illegal PED's recently. Nothing was "illegal".

Why didn't he use the word, "banned"? MLB bans many fitness supplements and performance enhancers that anybody can buy legally at the local GNC or have prescribed by a physician.

And he said Rodriguez had not taken "illegal" PED's "recently". Recently? Like within the past 30 minutes? Yesterday? The word "recently" implies during the period of time that has just passed or not long ago. He used "recently" instead of saying his client has not used since 2009 which he had confessed to.

It would be interesting to see if Tacopina or Rodriguez would answer the question the same way, using those words, if the arbiter poses the same question during the hearing.

This whole situation is similar to a bad car accident. You know you shouldn't look but you just can't turn way.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, if Arod ends up with anything less then 211 games then his side "won". Now it might very well be a small victory. Even if he ends up with a 162 game suspension that is still roughly 10 million in recouped salary.

I think there's probably more than adequate evidence to establish A-rod's guilt. The arbitrator's decision will probably revolve around whether MLB's punishment is consistent with the CBA or not. I can't claim to be an expert on the CBA and I certainly haven't seen the evidence against A-rod but I think there's a good chance he gets a reduced punishment. To the best of my knowledge, the CBA only provides 3 punishments: 50 games, 100 games, and a lifetime ban. I can understand 150 games if they argue A-rod is guilty of both a first and a second offense, but 211 games would seem to be a negotiated reduction from a lifetime ban for a third offense. I don't see how that could hold up. If MLB offered 211 games as a negotiated reduction from a lifetime ban and A-rod refused it, then the arbitrator should be considering a lifetime ban, not 211 games.

It would certainly be interesting to be in that arbitration hearing and listening to the MLB representative's explanation as to how they came up with that 211 games. I'm not suggesting that A-rod doesn't deserve it (and more), just that I can't understand how it falls under the CBA.

I think there's probably more than adequate evidence to establish A-rod's guilt. The arbitrator's decision will probably revolve around whether MLB's punishment is consistent with the CBA or not. I can't claim to be an expert on the CBA and I certainly haven't seen the evidence against A-rod but I think there's a good chance he gets a reduced punishment. To the best of my knowledge, the CBA only provides 3 punishments: 50 games, 100 games, and a lifetime ban. I can understand 150 games if they argue A-rod is guilty of both a first and a second offense, but 211 games would seem to be a negotiated reduction from a lifetime ban for a third offense. I don't see how that could hold up. If MLB offered 211 games as a negotiated reduction from a lifetime ban and A-rod refused it, then the arbitrator should be considering a lifetime ban, not 211 games.

It would certainly be interesting to be in that arbitration hearing and listening to the MLB representative's explanation as to how they came up with that 211 games. I'm not suggesting that A-rod doesn't deserve it (and more), just that I can't understand how it falls under the CBA.

I agree.

• 2 weeks later...

"I am deeply troubled by my team's investigative findings with respect to MLB's conduct. How can the gross, ongoing misconduct of the MLB investigations division not be relevant to my suspension, when my suspension supposedly results directly from that division's work?

It is sad that Commissioner Selig once again is turning a blind eye, knowing that crimes are being committed under his regime. I have 100% faith in my legal team.

To be sure, this fight is necessary to protect me, but it also serves the interests of the next 18 year old coming into the league, to be sure he doesn't step into the house of horrors that I am being forced to walk through.''

"I am deeply troubled by my team's investigative findings with respect to MLB's conduct. How can the gross, ongoing misconduct of the MLB investigations division not be relevant to my suspension, when my suspension supposedly results directly from that division's work?

It is sad that Commissioner Selig once again is turning a blind eye, knowing that crimes are being committed under his regime. I have 100% faith in my legal team.

To be sure, this fight is necessary to protect me, but it also serves the interests of the next 18 year old coming into the league, to be sure he doesn't step into the house of horrors that I am being forced to walk through.''

Selig isn't turning a blind eye, he is watching what is happening very intently.

The phrase turning a blind eye, to me, insinuates that they are not the one that ordered the activity in the first place.

Oh, how noble of you Rodriguez. Where was your concern for the poor 18 year old kids when you were sticking a needle in your butt?

Archived